First day was a breeze at the collection centre. DS160 confirmation is stamped and told to bring the stamped copy to the actual interview.
Took a rickshaw, which dropped me near a bus-stop close to the consulate
1. A man standing at the footpath checks the interview schedule.
2. After this, we have to walk further into the barricaded portion of the footpath
3. A small stall is setup to deposit any items which cannot be taken inside like keychain, pen-drive, cd, etc.
4. Next we need stand in a line outside the consulate waiting for first security check. Separate queues for men and women. A man does a initial check of pockets and tells us what items are not allowed.
5. Next, we enter the building in batches. Two angry, frustrated security women check the documents and folders for any un-permitted items.
6. Folders and documents put into trays into a scanner (like airport)
7. We are made to go through a security door and a person does a through check (just like airport)
8. Next we are permitted into a room, where our schedule, DS 160, etc are checked.
9. Next wait in line to enter main interview building. People with babies can enter without any waiting.
10. Once inside, we wait in zig-zag queue. Five counters. 3 for cross checking finger prints and 2 for cross checking documents.
11. The counters to cross check finger prints have US persons inside the counter and an Indian helper outside. Once there, the Indian person scans our passport and US person randomly ask to place out left or right hand on the scanner.
12. Next stand in line for the cross verification of documents in any of the 2 counters.
13. Next another zig-zag queue for actual interview.
Can I have your passport and I797 please?
You been to US before? Yes
Which visa did you travel on? answered
Which visa are you applying for now? H1B
Since how long have you been working for xxx? New employee
You are currently working for? yyy
What will be your salary in US? $123
When did you go to US last? answered
Typed for 5 minutes and then the Golden words - YOUR VISA IS APPROVED!!!