I am just another member who has received immense help from this website and am grateful to all. Time to pay back!
My company applied for L1A blanket and I followed following steps :
1) Fill the DS-160 properly. I had committed 2-3 mistakes especially check if date format is dd/mm/yy or mm/dd/yy.
2) Make sure that DS-160 roles and responsibilities are filled in properly and that there are no mistakes. Consult lawyer. Be honest.
3) LNU, FNU i.e. people with no last name, first name etc don't get too worried as fill details as mentioned in the help etc.
4) Only once you are super sure that everything look ok must you submit the DS-160.
1) Once that's done pay the visa fees of 190$. Make sure you retains all screenshots, of pre-payscreen from visa website, pay screen confirmation from bank and any emails you receive. Not that they are all needed - but play safe.
2) Schedule your biometric preferably as VAC location closest to you and get it done 2-3 days before the PI.
3) Do not use moisturiser etc. when you go for biometrics. It keeps fingers moist and the finger printing an take longer.
4) Check the location of VAC properly if in mumbai as there are rickshaw touts etc who will bewaiting to extract money. Since you need to be tension free get proper information, may be print the location path from google maps and carry as no phone will be allowed.
1) At VAC, if you carry bag or phone in mumbai, which I suggest you do and use locker at the VAC location. They charge Rs 200/- which I feel is reasonable.
2) For VAC you only need :
MRC fees receipt which is actually on lower part of the Appointment when you print the same.
3) Nothing to be nervous about VAC at all. The staff are very friendly. Reach there only 10 mins before. No point is stressing out yourself or going there earlier. Just be cool and calm.
1) Do not forget the 500$ DD for fraud detection for blanket visas.
2) I have a hdfc account and I requested a DD online. It reached me in mumbai in 3 days.
3) Write down name and passport no behind DD.
1) Receive petition and read through it completely.
2) Ask petition to be sent one week before your PI.
3) Every day run through the petition twice. Once in the morning and once in the evening for a week.
4) Have answers ready in 3-4 lines in crisp english.
5) L1A people use words, scope management, time management, quality control, quality assurance, communication to stakeholders. Be truthful. Dont try to fool the VO.
6) Use words such as conflict management, plan, supervise and control etc for people management.
1) Some site says try - Om Vashatkaraya Namah :-) chant this 28 times a day. I guess, atheists, no harm in chanting!
2) Keep you PI preferably for morning in chennai.
3) I booked LA Woods hotel, an executive room and I have simply no complaints.
4) Drink bournvita/horlicks before you leave for interview. Pls do not go on an empty stomach.
5) La Woods to consulate in chennai is Rs 50-100/- by rick.
1) For personal interview I carried,
Photo (Not needed but play safe)
One xerox copy of all originals
2) At Consulate they will ask to segregate :
first 4 pages of I-1229S and first one page of I797 notice. So do not staple but arrange with paper clips and carry. Will make life easier.
3) Be calm, peaceful, motivated.
4) VO are very friendly and nice chaps.
5) Some VO was asking a little one, Hey lil angel whats your name? Another VO was speaking in tamil and asking an aunty in tamil, who lives in the US. A third VO was explaining to a candidate why the documents werent OK. They are friendly and nice is all I have to say.
6) I was asked the following :
Hey what does ZZZ in your co name stand for.
I knew it as I have been with the co for 8 years (overall exp 11.9 years).
Next, wat does ZZZ do?
I knew operating income etc, read some on wiki, it helps. There is also some info in the petition documents. know it all.
What is your role in India?
In US? Asnwer and make it match to petition.
How many reportees - I was scary but spoke the truth.
Sir I am trying for an L1A and I have no direct reportees. Indirect yes.
Do not know specifically, will depend on project etc. Explain the TRUTH.
If there are no reportees - Say there are no reportees but explain why its still a managerial role.
Then came the golden words. "I am approving your visa but I need to do some paper work so please wait".
I had prepared damn well believe me. I spent a week or two just preparing for it.
I got my boss to do a mock interview by giving him all QnA.
Once you work hard on it, confidence come automatically.
All the Best! work hard, read through all the QnA posted by everyone, use the right words, read about your role, your companies responsibilities etc etc.
If you read 10,000 words you will be able to speak 100 words.
Do let me know if any questions as I wait for my passport to be stamped.