AUGUST 12 2013, TEXAS
My parents went for B2 Visa interview on the 12th August and their VisaWAS approved. They haven't got the passports back yet. However, below is a checklist that covers all the important documents one should carry.
The document mentioned at US state web site are:
-Passport valid for travel to the U.S.
-Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page
-Application fee payment receipt,
- For example, additional requested documents may include evidence of:
1. The purpose of your trip;
2. Your intent to depart the U.S. after your trip; and/or
3. Your ability to pay all costs of the trip.
The first set of documents are an obvious anyway. DS160, passport etc are required to event set foot inside the US consulate. However the set of additional set of documents is where it gets unclear. Below is the compilation of all the documents.
The documents were divided in to three folders:
1. Gate Pass Folder - contains documents that enable to enter US consulate.
2. Identification Folder - contains documents to establish their identity and the legal status of their US staying child.
3. US stay support document - Contains documents that establishes that they can support their stay in US and will not become a public charge on the US government.
(You can use the copy of the Original. YOU NEED NOT SEND ANY ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS FROM USA. Scan and send them the documents like I797, Bank letter etc., to take print outs )
Invitation Letter sample can be found here:http://www.immihelp.com/visitor-visa/sample-invitation-letter-parents.html
Letter to consulate sample can be found here:http://www.immihelp.com/visitor-visa/sample-consulate-letter-visitors-visa.html
I-134 affidavit document is not required per se as H1b cannot sponsor B2 visa. However to show that they can take care of the expenses in US including housing and lodging, an affidavit can be prepared and SHOWN ONLY if the Visa officer asks for it. If both mother and father are applying, you need separate affidavit for each of them. In the affidavit, write your mother's or father's name and mention the other as the spouse. It need not be notarized but only signed.
1. Purpose of Visit.
2. For how Long you want be in US?
3. What do you do now?
4. What did you do while you were in Job?
5. What does your Child do in USA ?
Some Tips :
1. Coach your parents to emphasize on the fact they would want to come back after a stipulated time and they will not stay there more than allowed. They can emphasize this using the property documents.
2. Coach your parents to ask “Sorry I didn’t understand the question. Could You please repeat it?” to visa officer in case the question is not clear
3. Choose a language during booking appointment in which parents are well conversant
4. If any of your parents was in military or defence, please truthfully answer if they had any firearms training.
5. If they want the passport to be delivered to the residence address, then they would have to play extra to Bluedart during the interview process. Else the passport will come to the central blue dart place in the city chosen at the appointment booking process.
6. Please advice them to be at the place half an hour before the scheduled time
7. Please give them a checklist of the required documents and explain to them what each documents is and why it is required. Refer to the Checklist given in this post to know more.
8. Ask parents to be dressed soberly and be confident. Not indifferent, but confident and cordial.
9. Customer care and track your passport.