Where Am I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Am I?

I applied for AOS after marrying my wife. I have paid close attention to what I am supposed to be doing. I got fingerprinted and I had my medical exam and the papers are still sealed in an envelope. My wife was looking at the new website for INS now known as BCIS and it asked for a 13 digit number. I never received anything with a 13 digit number on it. I am in the process of filling out a change of address form but I do not know which option to check off. The options are as follows.

[ ]Visitor
    [ ]Permanent Resident
    [ ]Student
    [ ]Other.........(Specify)

I'm none of the above and I can't fill out [ ]Other because I do not know the term for my status.

The forms I have submitted and recieved a receipt for are "I-485" and "I-130 SPOUSE", as well as a work authorization document(card) which is now expired. I've been in the U.S. since 09/11/02.

Calling the 1-800-375-5283 number was of no use to me. I got through after waiting on hold for 20 minutes only to be cut off. The lady that took my call was not very pleasant to deal with.

Based on the info above does anyone know the term for my status?

You are "Other" and your status is I-485 pending. On your work authorization card there is an A number that you can use on your AR-11 form to aid BCIS for updating your case file. I've moved three times and filed that AR form each time. Make sure you mail one copy to the address within the insturctions and the other copy to your local BSIC office that you are dealing with. These offices seem to not talk to each other I've found and always send the mail via "return receipt" that way you have a record of them recieving your mail. I did this for everything we mailed to them.

Joanne

Comment

Thank You

Thank you. I just found out that the local office is processing I485 files with receipts dated for November 01, 2002. My receipt is dated September 27, 2002 and I have not reveived anything from my local BCIS office. I am very concerned. I did everything I was told to do according to the former INS website.

I will take your excellent advice to heart and apply it to this change of address form.

Thanks again,

inLimbo

Comment

Receipt

"These offices seem to not talk to each other I've found and always send the mail via "return receipt" that way you have a record of them recieving your mail. I did this for everything we mailed to them."

How do I go about doing this? Do I simply write "return receipt" on the envelope or do I need to go into a Post Office to do this?

Comment

Re: Receipt

How do I go about doing this? Do I simply write "return receipt" on the envelope or do I need to go into a Post Office to do this?
          You do this at the post office. It will be a green looking postcard. You'll write the address your sending it to on the front and yours on the back. The post office will attach it to your letter. When BCIS gets it someone has to sign that green card and the post office then mails that back to you.

What I did for my own records was to attach a stickynote to that card when I got it returned to me stating what that was for. Just in case BCIS says they didn't get something from me I can say well heres the card and so-and-so signed for it.

Joanne

Comment

Thanks

Thanks. I'll do it that way then.

Comment

Details

I used the certified + Return REceipt option. Just to make others aware ahead of time, it costs me a little over $8/envelope to do this but I feel it was necessary. I had mine done at The UPS Store.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X