ITIN application - new process - experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITIN application - new process - experiences

I am opening this thread to share everyone's ITIN application - new process - experiences, in person or thru mail.
    Hope everybody knows that effective January 1, 2013, the IRS implemented new procedures that affect the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) application process.
    Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, must include ORIGINAL documentation such as passports and birth certificates, or certified copies of these documents by the issuing agency. Notarized or Apostilled copies of documentation will NOT be accepted.
    Effective January 31, 2013 Participating TAC locations will begin verifying passports and national ID cards for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) Applications, Form W-7, in person, so that we do not need to mail passports which seems to be a risk.

There are no offices in the state of PA, so I was planning to go to the nearest NJ office sometime in Feb (The verification process becomes effective Jan 31). Will keep you updated on my experiences.

Got my family's ITIN

I had applied for ITIN for my wife and daughters at M***aukee IRS Office on 1-Feb-13. Following were the key points

1. ITIN must be applied along with 2012 return
    2. Original passports are required
    3. Actual owners (ITIN applicants) of passport are required to be present at IRS office
    4. ITIN applicants must fill W7 and sign it (Parents can sign for minor dependent)
    5. ITIN applicants must be resident aliens
    6. You cannot apply ITIN for non-resident aliens (I know one case where it was rejected)

This is the fastest possible way to apply for ITIN if you do not want to send the original passport to Texas. The IRS officer had told that it would take upto 8 weeks to receive the ITIN. However I have received all the ITIN numbers today (19-Feb) though USPS.

Comment

Originally posted by santybh View Post
      I had applied for ITIN for my wife and daughters at M***aukee IRS Office on 1-Feb-13. Following were the key points

5. ITIN applicants must be resident aliens
      6. You cannot apply ITIN for non-resident aliens (I know one case where it was rejected)
      Are you sure? Because this is what the w7 instructions form say

Any individual who is not eligible to get an SSN but who must
      furnish a taxpayer identification number must apply for an ITIN
      on Form W-7. Examples include the following.
      A nonresident alien individual eligible to get the benefit of
      reduced withholding under an income tax treaty. See Pub. 515,
      Withholding of Tax on Nonresident Aliens and Foreign Entities

Comment

I successfully submitted the ITIN application for my child in NJ - Fairfield office on 02/15. Passport was returned immediately after verification. I went to the IRS office with the following items. It just took around 15 minutes.
        1. 2012 tax return
        2. filled w7 application form
        3. child's original passport
        4. copy of the passport - first and last pages, visa & I94.

Comment

IRS Bailey Crossroads - VA - ITIN procedure

Visited office at bailey crossroads to apply for itin for my spouse. This is my second time today as i was unsuccessful earlier b'coz this office allows first TEN and ONLY TEN applicants to get in.
          There was a long line of applicants, and you wont be told that there is cap of 10 applications, until you see the front desk.
          i spoke to folks who were there for the forth time, so , bottom line , if ever you want to go this location, be prepared to go AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE ( say before 6 am, it opens at 8:30AM), its first come first serve, no appointments.

all they need is your (take two copies of each, as they will stamp and return a copy of it):
          1.Tax returns(including w2)
          2.w7
          3.passport of applicant( if h1, take ppt of both)

all the best and i *feel* its hassle free to go with a approved tax payer(accepted agent)

Comment

Submitted my spouses W7 application for ITIN on Feb 11, 2013 at Nashville IRS assistance center. The person just took a few minutes to process it. But, yet to receive the ITIN.

Anyone else has better luck.

Comment

ITIN & FEDERAL TAX REFUND Need Help!!!

Hi,
              I have submitted my wife's ITIN application (W7) along with 2012 federal tax return copy at the local tax office on 14th March 2013 in NJ.
              The person at the tax office did verified my wife's Passport, W7 form and he returned some papers from my TAX returns with a stamp on it stating "RECEIVED WITH REMITTANCE" and finally told us it will take 8 weeks to get the refund if my refund is approved.

When I checked at "Where is my refund" on IRS web site the status says

"You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again" THOUGH I DID ENTERED CORRECTLY

Again i choose below option on the same page to see I may get more information

If your personal tax data is correct, please answer the following questions:
              Date of filing--03/14/2013
              Form of filing--paper
              then it says

We cannot provide any information about your refund. Be sure to:
              verify your filing date;
              check with your tax preparer

Its been just more than 4 weeks but I did not see any status update.

was any one in the same situation or am I the only person in the no mans land. Please share your experience.

Please advice.

Comment

Originally posted by rguy View Post
                Submitted my spouses W7 application for ITIN on Feb 11, 2013 at Nashville IRS assistance center. The person just took a few minutes to process it. But, yet to receive the ITIN.

Anyone else has better luck.
                Hi,

I have applied on Feb 14th in Downers Grove IRS office for my wife and son,My wife got a month back but still for son i haven't got.....

Comment

Originally posted by Balaaji View Post
                  Hi,

I have applied on Feb 14th in Downers Grove IRS office for my wife and son,My wife got a month back but still for son i haven't got.....

Hi Balaaji,
                  Did you get your refund?
                  If so how long was it actually took after you apply ITIN?

Please advise

Comment

Originally posted by mikehill View Post
                    Hi Balaaji,
                    Did you get your refund?
                    If so how long was it actually took after you apply ITIN?

Please advise
                    Since my son't ITIN is yet to be processed i dont think i will get refund any time soon.

My wife got ITIN at the end of third week,My son it's more than 8 weeks,I am yet to get any update.

Thanks,
                    Balaji

Comment

Hmm this is strange...
                      No no status on
                      "where is my refund" yet...
                      Still says enter valid information...huh

Comment

Originally posted by mikehill View Post
                        Hi,
                        I have submitted my wife's ITIN application (W7) along with 2012 federal tax return copy at the local tax office on 14th March 2013 in NJ.
                        The person at the tax office did verified my wife's Passport, W7 form and he returned some papers from my TAX returns with a stamp on it stating "RECEIVED WITH REMITTANCE" and finally told us it will take 8 weeks to get the refund if my refund is approved.

When I checked at "Where is my refund" on IRS web site the status says

"You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again" THOUGH I DID ENTERED CORRECTLY

Again i choose below option on the same page to see I may get more information

If your personal tax data is correct, please answer the following questions:
                        Date of filing--03/14/2013
                        Form of filing--paper
                        then it says

verify your filing date;

Its been just more than 4 weeks but I did not see any status update.

was any one in the same situation or am I the only person in the no mans land. Please share your experience.

Please advice.
                        Did you finally get your ITIN? It is been more than 8 weeks for me but I too see the same status.

Comment

WMR Status

I filed my return and submitted W7 form , Indianapolis TAC on April 8th.
                          Since then am checking Where is My Return (WMR) for the status and it asked to wait for 4 weeks , after 4 weeks when I tried I am seeing -

verify your filing date;

Did anybody who went through the same process and got refund ,please suggest whether this WMR status is indicating that they have rejected the W7/1040. ?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by swCinci View Post
                            I filed my return and submitted W7 form , Indianapolis TAC on April 8th.
                            Since then am checking Where is My Return (WMR) for the status and it asked to wait for 4 weeks , after 4 weeks when I tried I am seeing -

verify your filing date;

Did anybody who went through the same process and got refund ,please suggest whether this WMR status is indicating that they have rejected the W7/1040. ?

Thanks in advance.
                            Same for me .... no updates till now

Comment

I got a notice from IRS asking me to send original or certified copies of passport. I have sent the certified copies on mar17...waiting for a positive response...

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X