View Full Version : Greencard to Citizenship
08-13-2004, 02:43 PM
1. Can someone outline the procedure.
2. Does it matter which state you live in for citizenship in terms of getting teh citizenship.
08-13-2004, 02:45 PM
I have gone to India for vacation in my 4 1/2 years of GC for 3/4 weeks each year. Can I still apply 90 days before.
12-28-2004, 09:45 PM
01-20-2005, 01:42 PM
I have few questions in regards to citizenship.
1. How long does it take to get the citizenship .does it depends in
which state are u residing?
2. Do we have to remain in the country till we get the citizenship?
Eg: If we have to take finger print etc...
3. Once the citizenzhip is approved, how long does it take for the spouse to get the citizenship (provided the spouse is GC holder)
If someone can provide me the answers, it ill be great.
Thanks in advance.
01-22-2005, 03:43 PM
1. The length of the process depends not only on the state of your residency, but also on the county (at least that's what I've been told).
2. I asked an immigration lawyer about this one. She told me that you can leave the country during the process (but you can only use your passport of origin, so if there are any visas involved..etc. you still need to get them). But she didn't recommend leaving for more than 2 weeks.
3. I don't really know the answer to this question. But if your spouse got the GC at the same time you did, they probably will get it as quickly as you do, considering you two send the application at the same time. Other than that I think that if someone marries a US citizen, they get a greencard and then if they are still together after 3 years, the foreign spouse can apply for citizenship.
Can one leave the US for extended period of time after citizenship? Or you risk losing it if you stay away for too long.
03-04-2005, 03:03 AM
My underestanding is you can stay, after you become USA citizen, outside of USA as long as you desire and that would not result in the cancellation of your status as a citizen.