This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pending visa - K1

i am just new here, i just want to get an advice to someone who has knowledge about this matter. i got my interview to consular officer last feb 7, 2008, what i heard in him is that i'm ok but i have to secure NBI clearance for the name that appeared in my birth certificate (which is other name). i recieved a pink slip and tell to pay visa delivery to delbros. I submitted the document requested together with my passport Feb. 11, but until now i haven't quite sure if i am approved to issue a K1 visa. I am worried actually, pls anyone in here who can help me about this matter. is it possible to know if i am approved or not and how long i can able to receive my visa? thank u!

Comment

Originally posted by survivor
      Help ASAp

I entered as K1 and got married with my fiance within the 90 day period. i have a daughter in the phils. How would i get here to come to the US and what are the things i should do and where should i start? she already has a passport but no visa stamped on her passport yet.
      anyone could help me pls? thanks so much.

Hi My fiancee just had our first baby and how can I process the baby's paper works?

Comment

Originally posted by DaytonaFiremedic
        how old is she? Is she married? etc etc. give more details. if she is your child under 21 and unmarried you could have brought her with you on a K2 visa. Sounds like now your husband will have to file a I-130 for her as his stepdaughter, this will get her a greencard. Anyway give more details so I can steer you in the right direction.

Hi Daytona,

When I filed for K1 visa as fiance'e we plan to have a baby for year 2007 now our baby is 4 months old how can I include her to go with her to USA I was reading some of the information that I can apply for her US citizenship being born outside USA please advice thanks

Comment

k-2 visa.. i need help

Please help me. I am really worried about our visa. . . my mom is already in the states she go there 2 weeks ago because our visa is not yet here and when we call to the embassy they said we will just wait but they kept on saying that we have to wait for 2 weeks then when we call again they said another 2 weeks again.. we applied same time with our mother but our passport has been delayed 2 days so we passed our passport 2days after our interview.. my mom is k-1 applicant and we are k-2 applicants.. my sister is 15 years old and the time that we applied I am 18 yrs. Old but now I am 19.. does it affect my age that’s why the visa haven’t been issued up to now? How long does it takes before we can get our visa? Does it takes year before we can follow our mom?

Comment

parents and children not together

i dont undrstand why the families cant come over together...anyone know? so far it seems horrible that its not arranged so all can go together or at least they should have some assurance as WHEN the family can be together. :/ jan

Comment

K1 timeframe, any idea?

Hi everyone
              I'm wondering if anyone can help me with some info?
              My fiancee submitted his petition for a K visa at the Tampa USCIS so that we can marry in the US, I am a UK resident and although they give some timeframes (as a guideline only) on the website for other visa's they make no mention of the K1 Visa.
              Has anyone on here filed at Tampa before? and how long between filing till we can expect to hear anything at all? He was able to just walk in and give the clerk the relevent documents and was told everything looked to be in order and that he would hear from them by telephone or letter should they require anything more? we were careful to submit everything they asked for so as not to have to delay uneccessarily.

Any information is greatly appreciated as this is quite overwhelming

Izzy

Comment

NEED HELP:got my interview in 2 weeks in Chennai US consulate

hi.. anyone who had interview or recieved packet 4 instructions from chennai US Consulate ..can u please tel me wht documents are required to be submitted in VFS office before interview..

i recieved only a email with date and time for my K3 visa interview ..

its very important .. pls help ..
                thank you

Comment

My Love Is In U.s., Me In Europe

I need some advice..I'm in Europe, and my boyfriend is in U.S. He is citizen..We wanna be in marriage, soon is in possible...But , we need advice how..?

What is the best way? I can come in U.S. , in visit...But, what we can do that I am legally stay there, with him? Marry? And what is the next step? I would like get social number and legal visa for long stay with him, but how? How much I need a time for that?

Or, is better to marry in Europe? Than what? How long I would wait for spouse visa?

I hope some can help...I ' m in love:-)

Comment

we can marry here in Philippines?

Sir/madam:

I wanna ask about foreign fiance and I,,he was married to a filipina here in the Philippines only at Catholic Church in the year of 1995,,but not get married in the U.S.A,this woman is U.S citizen right now.

they are already divorced for 5 years now.I getting a little confuse about the the termination of marriage in the U.S since they are not married there,,my question is, I and my foreign fiance can marry here in the Philippines to a Catholic Church? I think, even their marriage here is valid? what should I do? I hope I can hear you soon..

Thank you
                    Marilou

Comment

can anyone let me know wht to do????

dear all,,
                      i m new to this community as our case is bitt practical and stressed.

me and my wife were in love since last 15 years and in Jan-06 we get registered married in court. her family was not agree due to our soical diffrence just a group(Ghor).
                      her details are,

she went to USA in July 2003. (her grand father adopted here and took her to usa) live with them and work in their store.
                      return to india in Jan 06 for holiday and we thought that family try to separate us so we married each other legaly. and she back to usa.
                      again when she return in feb 08 we declared our marriage, they have idea before us so it was a issue, i took legal help and got my wife they dont want return her passport and SSN, but we got it with legal help and she back to usa in april 08, and living with my far relative there. she got interview on Nov 08 and she has filled my name as well. so new passport will come on our name.

our problems are,

as she lived with family she work with them and they havent showed her tax so she havent filled any tax return till date.

how she can or some one can sponsor me for spouse visa.

how should we start our procedure, we wish to apply from india as our marrige ceremony is not done and we wish to make it.

i am in uk in student visa doing my masters in hotel mgt and abt to complete. if you could help us i would be thank ful to all the members. atleast it can reduce our stree as we are waiting since long to live together, u all can undestand.

thank you verymuch for reading,
                      Regards,
                      Nik

Comment

Options

My wife's friend, a girl from back home, came here on a fiance visa. Her friend got married and the change of status was approved. They had a baby about a month ago. Three days ago she found out that her husband was cheating on her and she and the baby left at least until she can find out what her options are.

She did everything she was supposed to but now has few options as her husband never let her out in public without him and also never gave he any money.

She is currently safe and staying with us while she goes through this.

Does anyone know what she can do? She wants to keep her child.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Comment

when i will get visa call

i have apply for immigrant visa I-130 9th april2008
                          when i will get visa call
                          please reply as soon as possible
                          Thank you so much
                          Last edited by richiee; 11-11-2008, 05:07 AM.

Comment

K1 in pending status for more documents

Hi,

My fiance did not clear her first interview at mumbai consulate but they didnt deny her visa either. She was asked to provide more documents (police clearance & proof of relationship -- more pics and passport) and we have provided them -- this time in a much more organized way (binders, albums, labels, detailed emails etc).

When she submitted the new documents, VFS told her what we will get a decision in 2 working days. Its been 3 days now and the passport tracking link on VFS says they havent gotten the passport from consulate.

How long does it take usually to get this type of response? Should I call the consulate? Any suggestions on my next steps?K

Comment

Joint Tax Returns and Affidavit

Greeintgs,

I have my sister co-sponsoring with me for my fiance. My sister has filed joint tax returns with her husband. For the I-134 Affidavit of Support, does my brother in law have to sign the same one my sister signs, or does he have to sign his own I-134 affidavit as well?

Please Answer asap..or even call me at 347-863-9035.
                              This is for the American Counselate in Guangzhou.

Thanks ,
                              Erik

Comment

how to get a k-1 visa

So you found a foreign man/woman whom you want to bring into the USA and marry. You will need a k-1 visa.
                                I met a Chinese woman online, and here is a rough outline of what I had to do and pay to get her (and her son) into the USA. (Current date of this info is 3 January 2009.)

Note two things here. 1.) In my case, some costs were double for me since I brought her son into the USA and sponsored him too. I will try to point out these extra costs.
                                And 2.) most American men naturally pick a much younger woman as their fiancée. My fiancée is only 4 years younger than I am, (46), and I am very happy with her. We are very blessed, and the process and cost were well worth it. (My wife will probably never read this so don’t think I am sugar coating it for her sake or my well being.) It would take too long to explain all the positive points. But here are a few things to consider regarding marrying a much younger woman: she will want a child, and you may feel like you are too old… Also, can you keep her satisfied during the long term? (I’m not just talking about sex.)
                                Know this: You will have to sponsor /support her indefinitely, even after divorce, so you better be sure.

Also, the process may seem complicated, and it is a little complicated and costly, but you can do it without an attorney. A lawyer will, of course, cost you much more, and using a lawyer can actually take longer. (Mistakes, regardless of who makes them, will cost time.) I did the whole thing without an attorney and without paying anyone for help, and my fiancée and I were together in as short of time as possible, (9 months).
                                Note that the process is a bunch of red tape for a few good reasons: 1.) It is our government’s responsibility to keep us safe from undesirable immigrants, and 2.) the government is trying to ensure that your fiancée does not become a financial burden to US tax payers.

Now, the process:
                                You have to meet you fiancée in person. You must have proof that you and your fiancée spent time together in the same physical place. Your fiancée is likely to not be able to come to America – the US government will probably not give her a visa to visit, so you will have to go visit her. Go to the US post office or someplace else and apply for your passport. It will cost you about $120. You will receive your passport about two months later. Then you have to bring your passport, (and any other documents they require), to the foreign embassy in the USA to apply for a visa. In my case, the nearest Chinese Embassy was in Houston, and they accepted nothing by mail. Fortunately, there is a service, (and this service is probably common everywhere there is a foreign Embassy in the US); this service will accept your passport and visa application through the mail, and they will walk your visa application through the foreign embassy and mail your passport and visa back to you. I think this service and visa cost me about $160.

While you are waiting for your passport and visa, send the G-325A forms to your fiancée and have her begin working on these. This document will take some time to complete, especially if your fiancée is not fluent in English. (See below about the G-325A and other forms).

There is a time limit on your visa, and there is no guarantee you will even get the visa, so never buy plane ticket or pay any other costs until you get the visa in your hand. (This is also true when expecting the k-1 visa further down the process.)

You can make plans and purchase airfare after you have your passport and visa in your hand. You may save significant money if you book your flight a few weeks out. This will give you time to prepare for your trip. (Try not to get too anxious during any of this process.)

In my case, I have never been outside of the USA, but going to China was a wonderful and easy experience – I had no problems.
                                Keep your receipts, (motel, meals and taxi fare), air fare ticket stubs, etc. Collect anything that can be used to prove that you met your fiancée. Take many photos from various sources, (different cameras if possible). Capture objects and signs in the background that prove you were in her country, together. Smile! Act like you love each other!

The clock starts ticking after you submit your I-129F form. The I-129F is the application for a k-1 fiancee visa; this is how you will get your fiancée into America. You will want to begin working on this application as soon as you return home from visiting your fiancée. In my case, my fiancée was in America 9 months after I mailed off the I-129F and the other required documents to the USCIS, (Immigration Service).

Just read the instructions that come with the I-129F. You can get the I-129F form, instructions, and the other forms from the www.uscis.gov website, (click on the “forms” tab). Make sure that you get the latest and up-to-date forms from this website. The USCIS changes these forms from time to time, and they will not accept old expired form formats.

It might be helpful for yourself and the USCIS agent handling your application if you include a cover letter and table of contents with your I-129F packet.
                                At the very least, with your I-129F application you will have to include G-325A forms (biographical info for you and your fiancée); you and your fiancee’s birth certificates, passports, and divorce documents; your visa; child custody papers; proof of your meeting (photos & receipts from your trip), I-134 form (Affidavit of Support), a letter of your intent to marry and support your fiancee; copies of your emails, chat sessions, (maybe text messages & phone bills), letters and packages exchanged, engagement ring, etc.
                                Also note that G-325A and other forms may have to be prepared for any children who will accompany your fiancée into America.

Make at least three copies of the completed I-129F and everything else that you send to the USCIS. Use the “receipt confirmation” service at the post office to ensure that your package gets to the USCIS.
                                The USCIS website and I-129F instructions should tell you where to send your I-129F packet. In my case, I sent it to Houston (as directed), and two weeks later I received it back with a letter stating that I had to send it to the Vermont office. (Try not to get mad and kill someone; the entire process will be a very frustrating.)

A few weeks after you (correctly) mail off the I-129F packet, you will receive a letter, (called a NOA1), which is confirmation that your packet has been received and is waiting attention. Your packet / case will sit idle for a few months before anyone looks at it. Hopefully, you have done everything correctly, else they will send it all back to you after it has sat there for months, and you will have to correct it and send it back again. Remember, this is the federal government you are dealing with, and they have you over a barrel if you know what I mean.

If everything goes well, a few months later you will receive a Notice of Approval for I-129F, (the NOA2). The USCIS will then send your packet to the NVC (National Visa Center). A few weeks later you will get a letter from the NVC or the US Embassy with a case number and indication that your application has been sent to the US Embassy nearest to your foreign fiancée.

(Don’t be too worried if the time intervals are longer than I have sated here; it always seems longer when you are living it, and the durations are dependent on the workload these USCIS agents are under. It is very tempting to write emails and letters to the Embassy and the USCIS, but it will do no good – they will just ignore your attempts to contact them and ask questions.)

(Oh, by-the-way, soon your fiancée (and her kids) will have to travel to the US Embassy for a visa interview, so she should be practicing her English. I don’t think it is a requirement to be able to speak English, but it would be better all the way around if she can. Also consider the extra traveling and per diem cost of her making this trip and the one week stay at the US Embassy.)

About a month or two after the US Embassy (near your fiancée) receives your I-129F packet, they will send your fiancée a packet of instructions and additional forms. You will likely receive three such packets (or notices) before the actual k-1 visa interview. Follow the instructions. There’s not much you can do ahead of time except get many certified and translated copies of birth certificates, divorce documents, custody papers, passport style photos, etc. The US Embassy will require a criminal background check and other timely documents, but do not get these until notified or they may become out-dated. You will be instructed NOT to sign some of the forms until a specific time and place. You will be instructed to mail some (not all) forms and a checklist back to the US Embassy to indicate that you are ready for the next step / packet.

You will need to send your fiancée a copy of the entire I-129F packet, (remember I told you to make at least three copies…), and the NOA letters, and everything else, plus some additional info like a family tree sheet, etc. so your fiancée can bring it to the visa interview. See what the Embassy requires and send it to her right away as this will delay the interview date.

This part was a little confusing because you have to keep track of who the form instructions are written for. For the I-129F, the instructions were written to you, the person who wants to import a foreign spouse. Some of the packets and applications you will encounter now will be addressed to your foreign fiancée, so keep this in mind.

At this point, your foreign fiancée is collecting the items on the checklist. Do not send the items to the Consulate. Just collect the items and keep them. Send back the checklist and only the other document as instructed in the packet. (I think these are called packet 3 and 4.)

Eventually, you will be given an interview date. The US Embassy will likely have a specific hotel for your fiancée to stay in. They may even provide an agent to meet your fiancée at the hotel and walk your fiancée through the process. The first order of business is the medical exam from a specific doctor/facility. Of course, they want to be sure that your fiancée is no risk to you and the rest of us in the USA.
                                Your fiancée will stay in the US Embassy hotel after the medical examination and the following three day wait before the interview.

Make sure your fiancée brings EVERYTHING to the interview.

Any children involved will have to attend the visa interview and receive a medical exam also. These children are called “derivates” and will receive what’s called a k-2 visa. No special forms or procedures are required for the (k-2) children, just mention them where requested in all the forms. Later, after being married, you will have to submit a separate I-485 form for the children. Nevertheless, your fiancée must inquire about the k-2 visa in the checklist phase and during the medical exam and interview.

In our case, the interview was very short and sweet. The US Embassy was backed up and they did not have the luxury of taking time with my fiancée, which was good because my fiancee’s English was very weak.
                                The Embassy will tell you “yea” or “nay” at the completion of the interview, but no visa will be given immediately.
                                My fiancée waited in the hotel an extra week to get her visa in hand. The other option is to go back home and wait for the mail to send it. Do you trust the foreign country’s mail service?

At the very least, your fiancée will be given a visa stamp in her passport and some medical records and possibly other sealed documents to bring with her to America. Do not open these sealed documents, Ever! Some of these documents will be presented to the port-of-entry guards when she steps off the plane in America, and others, (like the sealed X-rays and medical exam), will be given to the Civil Surgeon (doctor) after you are married and she is applying for permanent residency.

After receiving the visa, the anxiety continues as your fiancee’s prepares to leave her home. She is about to leave everything she has and knows to be with you. Do you deserve that? Are you (and your fiancee) prepared for the homesickness, the cultural shock, boredom and all the other many challenges that will follow. You and her will have to make unusual commitments and consider many things that normal couples need not deal with.

Mailing her clothes and other possessions will cost. Once in America, it will be at least several months before your fiancée can re-visit her home country (or any other country). But eventually, it will cost to occasionally send your fiancée/spouse back to her native country to visit her mom and dad. (The point is that the cost never stops coming. You better make sure it is worth it. It was/is well worth it to me and my new friends who are and have gone through the same process to be with their foreign spouse. I just hope it is good for you too.)

Again, don’t buy the plane tickets until she has the visa in her hand and you have discussed all the necessary arrangements and considerations.
                                Some foreign fiancée families may insist that you travel to them for a proper wedding in their traditional way.

Prepare your fiancée for customs and port-of-entry hassles at the airport – it can be a nightmare when considering all the unknowns, other junk and worries your fiancée will have floating around in her head.

Now, your finacee is in America. You have three months to marry, but you better plan on getting married within two months . (Never wait till the last minute because you never know what will happen.) The k-1 visa requires that you be married within 3 months else she has to return to her home country. (By-the-way, the paperwork does not stop, read on…)
                                Two months will give you and your fiancée time to decide if you want to go through with the wedding. If you are a typical American man like me, you didn’t have much of a clue as to what and how to plan for a wedding. (You would think I would know since I was married twice before, but you would be wrong.)
                                Also, your fiancée may want, (her family may insist) that you be married in her home country in their traditional way; (more cost). Do this before she arrives in America with her k-1 visa.

To give you an idea of the cost (as best as I can recall), my foreign wife and I met online one and a half years ago, and we were married a month ago. Her son came with her and is now my step-son. I paid all the cost. In my case, the big ticket items were $4500 on my 8 day trip to China; ~$4000 for my and their airfare to LAX and back to my home state; and the $1010 (time two = $2020) I-485 fee to apply for permanent residency (which I will discuss later.). Other cost which I remember, (I’m sure I have forgot many), were $455 for the I-129F fee; ~$1000 for the interview related stuff; ~$300 for other documents, translations and photos; ~$200 for the Civil Surgeon fee, $350 for passport and visa, and $1 to $25 each time I mailed something. (I sent everything through the US Postal Service – it works for me.) I also sent her $400 each month as support after she gave up her business to make a full time business of preparing documents, etc. to get her visa and prepare to come to America.

Once you are married and have a certified marriage certificate, you must submit an I-485 form (Status Change to Permanent Residence) and additional forms and documents as instructed in the I-485 instructions. Many of the supporting forms and documents were the same as you included in the I-129F packet, so never throw away anything, and always make extra copies of everything. Beware, the G-325A forms that you sent with the I-129F -- these are needed again, but some info has changed since you and your fiancée are now married, so correct all as necessary.

Some vaccinations will be required, but do not pay for an additional medical exam! A special doctor called a Civil Surgeon is required to handle the vaccination. You can find a registered certified Civil Surgeon at www.USCIS.gov. Try to talk to this doctor ahead of time to make sure you both understand what is needed. In my case, my (now) wife and step-son received many required vaccinations in their home country. Still, they were required to receive two vaccinations: tet**** and MMR (mumps and measles). Remember, they do not need to re-take a medical examination.

Also file a I-765 (for work and an ID), and I-131 (for travel). These forms may be needed to receive a social security number and to allow your new wife to travel outside of the USA. Submission of these I-765 & I-131 forms at this time should not cost anything extra, but will cost you if you submit then separately later on.

I have just send the I-485 packet off to change my wife and step-son’s status to permanent residence so they can stay in the USA. Yes, this is necessary and must be done soon after you marry.
                                As I stated before, one of the documents you sent with your signature states that you vow to support your new wife and children even if you get divorced, so beware.

I am not sure what the next step is, but I think my wife and step-son will receive a green card soon which they will have to renew every so often (which will probably cost more money).
                                I’m sure at some point they can pursue becoming naturalized citizens, but I think they may lose their Chinese citizenship by doing so… something to consider.

I think this is all correct. I am going from memory so don’t hold me to any of this. But this should give you a reasonable idea of what to expect.
                                The current date is 3 January 2009.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X