View Full Version : extension of visitor visa
08-07-2003, 02:07 AM
My mom has a visitor visa valid till 2010. She came here in Sep 2002 and got 6 month stamp on I94. I applied for extension of 6 months in Mar 03.
1) Can she stay till I hear back from them? even past Sep 2003?
2) If her visa has been rejected how long can she stay before she has to leave?
3) I know I cannot extend her stay any more. If we visit Canada with her and come back to the US can her stay be extended by whatever they stamp on the I94 on the border?
(BTW this is her 2nd visit - first time she came in July 2001, I applied for extension - was approved she went back Mar 2002)
Thanks. Your replies will be geartly appreciated/
08-07-2003, 09:07 AM
1. Even if extension is granted, that will be more max 6 months which would expire in Sep 2003.
Therefore, she can stay in US until you hear from BCIS(formerly INS), but not past Sep 2003.
2. Have to leave immdiately.
3. That can not be done. SHe has to go out of North America. You don't get new I-94 while returning back from Canada.
Looks like she would stay here for most of the time. It is very likely that second extension may be rejected.
Visitor visa is supposed to be for short durations and if BCIS finds out that she wants to stay here all the time, they may cancel her 10 year visitor visa, not allow any more entries into US. You have to be very careful.
By the way, when you extend her stay, did you remember to renew her visitor medical insurance too? You can make instant purchase at www.immihelp.com/insurance (http://www.insubuy.com)
08-07-2003, 10:44 AM
One of my friend was deported from Atlanta internation airport. He made 3 frequent trips to United States on B1/B2 VISA and once he had extended it too. Officer at the POE cancelled his 10 yr multiple entry VISA and asked him to leave within 4 hours. You have to be very very careful here. BCIS people do not like extensions of B1/B2 visa at all.
08-07-2003, 11:14 AM
The reason of my mom's extension is actually due to a medical condition with my baby. I have mentioned that in the reason for extension. I am really scared that the next time she tries to come in she will be deported. Would I be better off applying for a green card for her? My husband and I have currently applied for citizenship.
1) Should I apply for her green card now?
2) Can she go back to India after I have applied for a green card?
3) If I apply for her after she has gone back how long would it take to get a green card?
4) Can she come back on a visitor visa if she has a green card application?
5) If I do not apply for her green card what is a safe period before she can come back?
Thanks for the prompt responses.
Could you please elaborate, how frequent was your frind's visit to US? I mean approx dates he left and then came back.
I did not know that people could be deported or their 10 year visitor visa be cancelled at POE! My mother is well travelled and this is going to be her 4th visit to US. The first was in 1986. 2nd between Dec 2001 till April 2002; 3rd time we got her stay extended and she was here from Nov 2002 till Oct 2003. We are planning to invite her again in May 2004. I am getting a little concerend hearing your story!
Thanks for your response!