View Full Version : Visitor visa stay
01-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Hi....Please share your experiences about the average length of visitor visa stay granted at the port of entry.Even though there is no rule for one month and the maximum allowed should be 6 months but still the time frames differ in many cases!Are there any difficult entry ports than others ?Which one is easier in getting the 6 months or does it all depend on one's luck and the person is at the mercy of the officer?Can one request and ask for 6 months stay at the port of entry?Please share any input you all may have about this one.Thank you
Next Topic >>
01-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Most people get 6 months.
01-18-2004, 07:52 PM
I have some further questions regarding visitor visa stay.
My parents have a 10-year visa. What I would like to know is:
1. How often can they visit the US? Do you know of any experiences of people visiting 4-5 times without any problems?
2. What should be a reasonable gap between successive visits? Is it ok to visit once a year? In this context, does entering at different ports make a difference?
3. If a parent is disabled and dependent on a son living in the US, does that make a difference?
4. Could you please add the experiences of frequent visitors to your web site? That would be very useful.
01-18-2004, 11:06 PM
1. As many times as they want. But if the person is staying for too long duration over all, then he/she is not true tourist and the intentions are suspected that can create a problem in future entry.
2. There is no specific rule. Look at answer 1. Different port of entry does not make difference.
3. Again, it is subjective. But remember, in US, your dependents are only your spouse and minor children. Parents are not considered your dependents. Immigration officers don't care about this. All they care is that the person is coming to US on tourist visa and he/she should have intention of tourist. You can't stay in US forever on visitor visa.
4. All the experiences you see posted here are from individuals visitors to this website, just like you. Whatever people post is available here. You are welcome to post your experience once you have them.