X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 Visa Expiring !

Hi,

My L1 visa is expiring in May,2010 and my I-94 is valid till May,2011

Can I stay in US till May , 2011, If so do I need to inform USICS or anyone ?

Also ,
    My petition cannot be extended because I have completed my 5 yrs but in L1 is there a way to claim the TimeAway from US , the time in this 5 yrs I have stayed in india.

Thanks in advance

With L1B you can work only for 5 years at a stretch. Beyond that time, you need to be outside the US for one year before being eligible for another 5 years of stay in L1B status. If you are in L1A status, then that period is 7 years.

As of my knowledge, the approval of extension for recapturing the time spent outside U.S for a L1 visa holder is less compared to H1B. However, it is still an option and your company attorney can submit a summary of travel and the number of days spent out of the U.S. along with supporting documentation such as photocopies of passport stamps, Form I-94 arrival/departure records, plane tickets etc to USCIS while applying for the extension based on the time spent outside U.S.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the answer but Can i stay in US as long as my I-94 is valid though my Visa has expired ?

Comment

Yes, of course.
        Visa is just an entry permit. Once you enter, nobody cares about visa. I-94 is what matters.

Comment

Hello,

I have a similar scenario where I travelled to US after almost 9 months of my L1B being stamped. My 5 years of L1B is going to be completed at the end of this year. Could I be eligible to file for another extension based upon my initial 9 month period in India and another 4 month period in India during the work tenure at US?

Thanks
          Vishal

Comment

Compared to H1B, it is very hard to recapture the dates on L1. However, you can give it a try. The success rate is less.

Comment

Thanks for this info.

So in this case would you suggest to file H1 thru my company which should take the period outside of US into account?

Thanks!

Comment

I am not sure if that is possible. However, you can get an extension for another 1 year if you apply H1B, since you have only completed only 5 years.

Comment

Visa Extension

Hi~

My 3 year L1B visa will expire early next year. How soon shall I apply for an extension? How long does it take to get the extension?

Thanks,
                  -YB

Comment

You can apply 6 months in advance of the current I-94 expiry date. It will take at least 2-3 months for the extension to go through via the normal process and 15 days by premium.

Comment

Thanks Shervin

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X