PDA

View Full Version : 221g green slip from mumbai

bhavikcontractor
09-23-2010, 04:45 AM
Hi Friends,

I am very tensed as I write this. I had my visa interview today. The interviewer just asked what I worked as and about my education. She then handed over a 221(g) green slip to me which mentions that i need to email them more information. Below is the information requested:
1) Invitation letter from the company.
2) Resume.
3) Research.
4) Position.
5) Purpose of the visit.
6) Itenary of all locations I will visit.
7) Funding: Name of the person who will fund my trip
8) Travelers: A list of all the travellers who will accompany me.
9) Travel dates of all international travel except for US.

I have done my masters in computer engineering from Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio, USA. I have been working with the current company since dec 22. They applied for my H1b this year and I came here for vacation in September and went for stamping today ie 21st September. I don't understand the reason for the refusal.

Also, Is this a new process where they are asking to email information. I haven't read any post here which mentions anything about emailing information to the counsulate.

The slip says it will take a minimum of 2 weeks. Can someone please advise me as to how long it will take. I have my vacation until 3rd of October and am really worried.

Thanks a lot,
Maxx

Subramanya
09-23-2010, 09:54 AM
I am very tensed as I write this. I had my visa interview today. The interviewer just asked what I worked as and about my education. She then handed over a 221(g) green slip to me which mentions that i need to email them more information. Below is the information requested:
2) Resume.
3) Research.
4) Position.
5) Purpose of the visit.

I have done my masters in computer engineering from Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio, USA. I have been working with the current company since dec 22. They applied for my H1b this year and I came here for vacation in September and went for stamping today ie 21st September. I don't understand the reason for the refusal.

Also, Is this a new process where they are asking to email information. I haven't read any post here which mentions anything about emailing information to the counsulate.

---- Yes emailing the US Consulate looks to be a new process for them to get the necessary information. Dropping documents has led to missing documents and other such stuff. Whichever way the process is to completed the US Consulate will review your documents and get back to you

The slip says it will take a minimum of 2 weeks. Can someone please advise me as to how long it will take. I have my vacation until 3rd of October and am really worried.

---- Although they claim 2 weeks it may take longer and how much longer is anyone's guess. At best everyone can only speculate the length of time, but hope the process is complete in 2 weeks

---- It may be hard to keep up your vacation time as 3rd OCt is just close by and you may have to reschedule your journey date. You may speak to your empployer regarding the issue if you do not receive any response by 3dr Oct and also email the US Consulate to update your case status if you have not received any reply from them

----- This is rather unfortunate that people such as yourself are made to wait for unknown length of time for no reason. Be patient and hope things work out well in the end

Subramanya

harrycrumb
09-24-2010, 02:04 AM
Welcome to the club of '221g' Holders

Firstly, the good part is that 221g is not a Visa denial. The consulate is seeking more information to ensure that all the organisations and the individual involved in the utilization of H1B visa are genuine & eligible for employment.

The bad or 'not so good' part is the time taken for the process to get completed and the agonising wait for the inolved person.

I can share my experience with you which is similar. I had attended an interview in New Delhi consulate ( for H1B restamping ) on 3rd August. The officer explicitly stated that everyhting was OK with my individual credentials, but wante dme to provide Proof of current employement and Letter from End customer, apart from copies of the petition, I-129 and resume. I submitted the docs on 5th Aug and i got a mail from the consulate on 9th August with another 221g form asking me to submit the end customer letter. I wasn't sure why they were asking for letter from end customerr again. However, to ensure that the consulate dos not come back agian with more requirements, we submitted a comprehensive set of documents including letters form current customer, all past clients wher I had been engaged, all intermediaries involved etc. All these docs wre submitted on 31st August and I am yet to hear back from the consulate. When I call up the consulate i am told that my case is under 'Administrative Processing'

'Administrative Processsng' as per what I have read in this forum involves a check on the genuneness of the docs submitted by you, the organisation involved and the process is conducted by the USCIS in Washington. There is no committment made by the consulate for the time that it can take to get a response as every indivdual case is different. However, some of the threads in this forum provide some insights in terms of the time taken. The average seesm to be 4-6 weeks from the time of submission of docs. But there are cases which have taken months to get resolved.

So my advice to you is to submit the required docs at the earliest and then start praying if you are a believer.

Also would request you to update this thread in case you hear from the consulate any sooner so that others can benefit

bhavikcontractor
09-24-2010, 02:56 AM
Thanks Subramanya and Harry,

Your replies give me hope and encouragement. Rightly said, the only thing in my hand is to submit the documents and wait. Rest I will leave to prayers and luck.

Fortunately my company has been very supportive of the entire process and has been willing to hep me through it. Hopefully, things will be sorted out soon.

I will keep the thread updated. Harry, do let me know if you get any updates.

Thanks all.

Hyd007
09-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Hi guys I had an interview on 20th SEP I was given a 221g form and was asked to submit some documents.
I have a question is there any fee for submitting the documents and if there is any fee should i pay it in HDFC bank or can I pay the Fee in cash at the VFS office.
And should we submit original documents or copies of all the documents.

sans
09-25-2010, 03:57 AM
At VFS office, to submit documents you have to pay fees and have to give it in cash i think , the amount should be around 200 rupees.

Hyd007
09-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the information guys
It is mentioned in the 221g that the submitted documents will not be returned
so should I submit copies of documents or originals of all the documents.

sans
09-26-2010, 07:17 AM
Please follow what is mentioned in 221g form, in the form if they have asked for any originals like I797 etc then submit original etc else copy will suffice.

abhinavtx
10-03-2010, 06:32 AM
Hi Bhavik, Did you receive any update from the consulate? I am also in the similar situation. I got the same 221g document like you.

Did you get your visa finally? Please let me know.

kamatsumits
10-21-2010, 04:24 AM
Hello,

I had my L1 visa interview on 19 oct. The interviewer just asked what I worked as and about my education. He then handed over a 221(g) green slip to me which mentions that i need to email them more information. Below is the information requested:
2) Resume.
3) Research.
4) Position.
5) Purpose of the visit.

I have prepared these documents. Can anyone tell me is there any specific format for same? I have one pdf scanned copy of invitation letter, word document for resume and one more word document containing the rest information. Is this fine or should I change something?

What will be the further steps for the same? Will they call me or I need to take folloup with them continuously?

Please reply

Regards,
Sumit

rksukhani11
10-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Same here guys....interview date 16th june and 221g asked from me....
date of submission 24th june and I am in India still.....
Keep up the good hopes and keep praying ...good part is they will return back to you eventually granting you the H!B ...not so good is the waiting period.....Anyhow I would suggest that keep looking for jobs ....you never know how long time they may take....

bhavikcontractor
10-26-2010, 03:19 PM
H Sumit,
Sorry to hear about that. Welcome to the world of "Administrative processing". I know it is hard not to worry much but there is nothing much you can do. Just submit the documents and hope for the best. There is no specific formats for the documents. Make sure you submit all that is asked. For me, I made a seperate word document for each of the requirments asked. Even if something is not applicable to you, submit a document for it. For instance, I clearly mentioned that I am noit currently involved in any Research nor intend to do any future research but did mention in detail about my past Research. Make sure the documents are not too long. For example, they thought my research document was too long, they wanted it 2 paragraphs at the most. I had to shorten it and resubmit it.
I had my interview on 21st september, and submitted the latest documents on 5th October. Got a reply on 21st October to submit my passport.
It looks like its taking 3-4 weeks for similar cases.

amohale
11-06-2010, 03:52 AM
Hello,

I attended my interview on 11/2 and was handed the Green 221 G form in a very unfortunate sequence of events.

My interview lasted for about 15 minutes and I have been working since March 2010. I came to US on H4 Visa in 2008.

The VO was very nice and seemed like he was going to keep my passport for H1 stamping. He also cancelled my H4 stating that "Now you are getting a new Visa and will not need H4 anymore".

After answering all the questions, verifying I129 approval, LCA, Client letters etc, he asked for my I129 petition. My employer did not provide me with the I129 petition but instead put it within a sealed document addressed to the VO. When I mentioned this to the VO, he said that this is a security risk and not sure how they let me in with a sealed envelope.

Anyways, in the end the VO discussed my case with 2 other VOs and handed me the Green 221g circling I-129 and a note that the sealed document needs to be opened.

I submitted the I-129 petition on the same day and the VFS center in Delhi told me that this usually takes 2-3 days for response from consulate. I have not got any response yet; the helpline keeps saying that my case is under Admin processing.

Please respond if anyone got approval on 221 g green form and how long it took so that we, who are waiting for approval can determine how long this agonizing wait will be.

I have my return trip on the 11/13 but I guess I will have to postpone.

Experts, any help to estimate the approval time will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

kamatsumits
11-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Hurreeyy...
Finally I got approval..They have asked me to send my passport to VFS..no interview again...
It took exactly 3 weeks for this process....

Regards
Sumit

desi_221
12-02-2010, 01:05 AM
I also got green slip for h1B. Can anyone tell me what exactly we need to submit for
invitation letter?
purpose?
Itinerary? - as I do not know when will i travel back as it depends on the visa and also which all locations. can i give location of my client and my company where i will be working?
funding? as i am sponsoring my trip can i write self funding as the same was mentioned in ds 160.
I do not have any research so i wont be submitting that document. is this fine?
please help

rsah1
12-02-2010, 01:32 PM
My father went for visitors visa at mumbai consulate..my mother got visa for 10 years but for my father they gave 221g green slip . They asked to email all the documents research, resume, itinerary. He is a retired person. Dont know why they are asking all this.
He had an interview on nov 23rd, I emailed all required documents on 25th Nov.
For research I wrote NA and the reson that he is retired and never involved in any research. How much time it will take to get the response from them?

kamatsumits
12-31-2010, 06:33 AM
Hello all,

I got reply from consulate exactly after 3 weeks (on15th Nov). I was asked to submit my pasport and vfs envelope. Finally I got my VISA exactly after 3 days. Just be patient in this case, this case varies from person to person. As well as they have given different criterias in the final mail I received..like for green form I just need to submit passport to VFS...for yellow I need to take appointment again with consulate etc.

v_sprint
01-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Hello All,

I went for my visa interview on the 30th of Dec 2010 and received the 221 g form. I have plans to fly back on the 17th of Jan. I currently came to restamp my H1-B and they created this additional processing this time around. I work for GE and never had this issue in my first stamping. Can someone please let me know how long this process takes and why this has happened?

coolnk
01-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Hi everyone,

My wife gave her interview on Dec23 and was given the green slip at Mumbai consulate. Her visa status is still under pending status. She has a postdoc in Microbiology and Immunology and has 3 yrs work experience. We never had a problem before and so this thing came out of the blue. From all the posts it seems its taking between 3-5 weeks. The consulate does not respond properly to any queries except that its still under processing. Keep this thread updated and so we can share our experiences.

kpatel6117
01-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Hi Everybody,

I would really appreciate if anyone can provide me a copy of 221(g) green slip to my email address at kcpatel0909@yahoo.com ?

221(g) green slip from mumbai consulate

Thanks
KC

shervin143
01-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Check the below link
http://www.immihelp.com/visas/221grefusal/

Hi Everybody,

I would really appreciate if anyone can provide me a copy of 221(g) green slip to my email address at kcpatel0909@yahoo.com ?

221(g) green slip from mumbai consulate

Thanks
KC

ps2675
02-10-2011, 04:43 AM
Earlier few years back I had six months J1 visa and later Whenever I applied for either B1 or B2 visa I get only one year visa. So far I never got visa rejection.

In 2005 No 221g letter
I was not asked to submit any documents under 221 g and got the visa same day

In 2006 I was given White 221 g letter and asked to submit technical questionniare and my cv by email
God clearance in 29 days -- 4 weeks
-had to re-visit consulate

In 2009 I was given yellow 221g letter and asked to submit above documents along with DS 157 and invitation letter
Got clearance in 18 days -less than 3 weeks
--was asked to submit passport in VFS office

In 2011 I am given green 221g letter and asked to submit various documents like invitation letter from US company , conference letter etc in PDF format and past , present research experience, list of publications ---etc in word format
After submitting documents as on today 27 days are over , so far no msg form consulate
When enquired about status - no reply from consulate
VFS replied that - case is pending and one can know the status of application on

Checked for my application number under the list updated Feb 8, 2011
Not found my number indicating case is still pending

I enjoyed all three colors of 221g but dont knw significance of each color.
Does any one know the difference between white , yellow and green 221g letters?

All my colleagues who are researchers and applied for US visa (under business, tourist, exchange visitor ) , have been asked to undergo 221g. So far we did not hear any visa rejection case though the waiting period for clearance has been varied from 2 weeks to 8 weeks

Please keep on keeping 221g active -- all good and bad experiences

PS

praveen_76_1999
11-02-2011, 06:09 AM
Hi All,
I been for H1b Visa Interview on 31st Oct 2011 and got the same green slip.
I could answers all the questions but since I have not done any research work i'm not sure what to answers.
I have done Masters and BE in electronics and telecom.

I already send them my Job description against researh and they did reply me asking specific information about research.

Here is question:
Research: A complete and detail description of 1) any research you intended to conduct in the US: and 2) all past and/or current research in all the countries. You must include a description of the practical application of your research or study.

Can somebody suggest me what to Answers for this? you can send me amail on praveen_76_1999@yahoo.com

-Praveen

praveen_76_1999
11-02-2011, 06:20 AM
I also got green slip for h1B. Can anyone tell me what exactly we need to submit for
invitation letter?
purpose?
Itinerary? - as I do not know when will i travel back as it depends on the visa and also which all locations. can i give location of my client and my company where i will be working?
funding? as i am sponsoring my trip can i write self funding as the same was mentioned in ds 160.
I do not have any research so i wont be submitting that document. is this fine?
please help

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I been for H1b Visa Interview on 31st Oct 2011 and got the same green slip.
I could answers all the questions but since I have not done any research work i'm not sure what to answers.
I have done Masters and BE in electronics and telecom.

I already send them my Job description against researh and they did reply me asking specific information about research.

Here is question:
Research: A complete and detail description of 1) any research you intended to conduct in the US: and 2) all past and/or current research in all the countries. You must include a description of the practical application of your research or study.

Can somebody suggest me what to Answers for this? you can send me amail on praveen_76_1999@yahoo.com

-Praveen

ssivanan
01-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Hi Folks,

I appeared for the H1-B interview at the Mumbai consulate and got the green 221g letter. I have tried submitting all my documents in the requested format twice via email and both times I got an email back in a couple of days saying that

"Thank you for your correspondence. In order to proceed with your application you must submit all details of your past and intended research. You must resubmit all of the information listed on the letter given to you at your interview in a single email as per the affirmed formats. If any information is not applicable to you; please mention as ‘Not applicable’ under the respective header. The invite letter must be sent as a pdf document and all other information as a single word document, both attached to a single email. We are unable to process your application further unless we receive all of the required information in a single email."

Does anyone know what the pitfalls are while emailing these documents and has anyone experienced this before.

All help is appreciated.

aakansha111
01-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Hi,

My H-1B Visa stamping interview on 6th Jan 2011 lasted for only 2-3 minutes. I was asked about my research (I am a postdoc and work in a microbiology lab), salary and my family background. The consulate officer did not see a single document and handed me the 221(g) slip.
Initially I emailed my original offer letter as the invitation letter (pdf), and other requested documents (as separate word doc) on Jan 7. I received an email from the USCIS, suggesting that I need to resubmit a recently dated invitation letter, and that all the word documents need to be submitted as a SINGLE word document. For one of the documents (Travels to other countries, except to the US), I wrote 'Not Applicable" in the header.
I emailed my (1) invitation letter and (2) a word document with the requested information (Resume, Research, purpose, itinerary, funding, Travelers, Travels) on January 10,but did not receive the automated response. I resend the email again on January 13 and immediately received the automated reply.
Currently I am waiting to hear back from the USCIS. I have heard that it may take 3 weeks or longer. I have postponed my travel back to the States and enjoying my extended stay with the family.

Aakansha

kpatel6117
01-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Hi Aakansha,

My interview was on 6th Jan.
VO handed over me 221(g) green and asked me to submitt all marked documnets to nearest VFS.
Nothing was mentioned in 221(g) sleep.
So, I just submitt all docs to Ahmedabad VFS on 17th Jan.
VFS lady told me that I will receive an eamil in 5 business days.
Still waiting for their reply.

If you don't mind,
can you send me your 221(g) green sleep at ken6117@gmail.com ?

Thanks,
Kaushik Patel

aakansha111
02-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Hi,

I don't have the 221(g) green slip anymore as I submitted it today to the VFS office after my CEAC code number appeared in the online list. The slip had the list of documents that I had listed in my previous post to this thread.
My CEAC number appeared on Feb 3, but the list was updated today. I submitted my (1) passport, (2) a photocopy of my I-797A, (3) the 221(g) green slip. I also paid Rs. 180 for the VFS envelope.

You should check your pending visa status everyday in the morning so that if the number appears, it gives you enough time to collect the documents and submit to the nearest VFS office on the same day.

Good Luck!
Aakansha

seldon
02-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Hello folks,

Just sharing out my experience. I understand the darker side of the system but also believe that they have tremendous work load which keeps them up on their toes.

I received 221(g) green slip and was told to submit the documents. I submitted the documents on 4th Jan 2012 and my H1B visa got approved on 19th Jan 2012. I submitted my passport on 20th Jan and received my visa stamped passport on 23rd.

So it did take some time but not like 3months which many people have mentioned. I know that it takes time for some cases but there are cases which happen within VFS mentioned 3weeks timeline. So folks be optimistic and pray if you believe in God. Thats least you can do.

Remember to submit each and every documents they have asked for (dont even miss a single one).

IMP TIP: If possible submit everything in original as well as additional documents which will confirm that your geniunly working for that firm like client letters, client badges etc. This will speed up the process like it did in my case.

Hope this helps. Best Luck folks.

jayesh42
02-16-2012, 03:11 AM
Hi ,

Here are some details

Interview Date - 18th DEC at Mumbai Counslate
i got green 221g slip
Jan 2nd- I submitted all the documents asked from my petitioner
Feb 13th - got mail to submit passport saying we are ready for the final processing .
At last Note: It never gurantee that your visa is issued at this moment..

Can anyone help what it mean And how much more time will it take ...

shivaannam
02-19-2012, 02:54 AM
Got my visa approved after receiving 221 g green slip.

Attended interview on Nov 29, got a green slip in Chennai. Asked all the Client info documents.
Droped on documents on Dec 17th.
Got email saying passport is ready to pick up(No information on approved status).
Went tp VFS office for pick up and happy ending.

tuhin91
03-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Which documents are you talking about? For green slip you only need to submit typed material right?

Hello folks,

Just sharing out my experience. I understand the darker side of the system but also believe that they have tremendous work load which keeps them up on their toes.

I received 221(g) green slip and was told to submit the documents. I submitted the documents on 4th Jan 2012 and my H1B visa got approved on 19th Jan 2012. I submitted my passport on 20th Jan and received my visa stamped passport on 23rd.

So it did take some time but not like 3months which many people have mentioned. I know that it takes time for some cases but there are cases which happen within VFS mentioned 3weeks timeline. So folks be optimistic and pray if you believe in God. Thats least you can do.

Remember to submit each and every documents they have asked for (dont even miss a single one).

IMP TIP: If possible submit everything in original as well as additional documents which will confirm that your geniunly working for that firm like client letters, client badges etc. This will speed up the process like it did in my case.

Hope this helps. Best Luck folks.

rshah4281
04-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Hi All,

I had my H1 B interview on 6th Jan and recieved 221 g Green Slip. US consulate asked to submit my empoyer documents which I submitted on 17th Jan. After that I recieved email from US Consulate saying that I have to submit some additional docs which I submitted on 13th Feb. After 5 week I sent email to VFS helpline for follow up I recieved reply that US consulate didnt recieve my documents so please send scan VFS reciept that you get when you submitted docs . I did that on 24th March and still waiting for reply.

Can anyone tell me what will be approximate time to hear back from US consulate in this case ?

Can I directly send email to US consulate for follow up ? if yes does anyone know email address that I can send email to?

Jimit Shah

swatik
12-26-2012, 03:35 PM
@Jayesh: I am in the same boat...

Interview Date - 30th nov 2012(H1B first stamping)
i got green 221g slip
Dec 4th- I submitted all the documents asked from my petitioner
dec 18th - got mail to submit passport saying we are ready for the final processing .
At last Note: It never gurantee that your visa is issued at this moment..
Submitted passport on 19th dec 2012... showing passport current passport status is delivered to post

any idea? did you received your passport with stamping? how much time it will take?

rp_pune
07-01-2013, 06:51 AM
Hello,

I had my L1 visa interview on 19 oct. The interviewer just asked what I worked as and about my education. He then handed over a 221(g) green slip to me which mentions that i need to email them more information. Below is the information requested:
2) Resume.
3) Research.
4) Position.
5) Purpose of the visit.

I have prepared these documents. Can anyone tell me is there any specific format for same? I have one pdf scanned copy of invitation letter, word document for resume and one more word document containing the rest information. Is this fine or should I change something?

What will be the further steps for the same? Will they call me or I need to take folloup with them continuously?

Please reply

Regards,
Sumit

How to get invitation letter in case of F1 221g ?

bramhanand19
03-31-2014, 09:39 AM
Hi, I attended Visa Interview at Mumbai on 5th March 2014, I got green Slip, I had sent all the required doc as per the intrsuction on 6th March 2014 but recived a mail on 6th march to resend the doc. which I did on 7th march 2014, but since then I didnt recive any communication, still waiting. Please help.

Bramhanand

ps2675
06-24-2014, 05:53 AM
Hi, I attended Visa Interview at Mumbai on 5th March 2014, I got green Slip, I had sent all the required doc as per the intrsuction on 6th March 2014 but recived a mail on 6th march to resend the doc. which I did on 7th march 2014, but since then I didnt recive any communication, still waiting. Please help.

Bramhanand

In the past I have been issued 221g 6-7 times and every time I got my B1/B2 visa ( I get visa only for one year)
Earlier we used to check status with bar code on
http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/case-status.html

Now here I notice that bar codes till Dec 2013 are processed

Is there new process now to check the status?

Prasad