Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Under 18 green card holder automatically naturalization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under 18 green card holder automatically naturalization?

I have appointment for oath ceremony this month.I have 17 years old green card holder daughter.After my oath ceremony,she is automatically became a U.S.citizen or not? If yes,she needs any document for U.S.passport?

Originally posted by hp1 View Post
    I have appointment for oath ceremony this month.I have 17 years old green card holder daughter.After my oath ceremony,she is automatically became a U.S.citizen or not? If yes,she needs any document for U.S.passport?
    Yes, if she is under 18, a legal permanent resident in the US, she will automatically become a US citizen. You can apply for a passport book for her with your Certificate of Naturalization. Also apply for a passport card for her as a back-up document. It costs just an additional $30 and is good as a back-up in case she loses her passport book.

Comment

Originally posted by nwctzn View Post
      Yes, if she is under 18, a legal permanent resident in the US, she will automatically become a US citizen. You can apply for a passport book for her with your Certificate of Naturalization. Also apply for a passport card for her as a back-up document. It costs just an additional $30 and is good as a back-up in case she loses her passport book.
      Thank you for your information I will be here after oath ceremony and passport experience.

Comment

I was not aware about this possibility of the under 18 child being automatically US citizen when parents become citizen. Is it true? I have my oath ceremony this month. But my wife has not applied yet. In that case, will my 15 yr old daughter be citizen automatically? I was planning to for my daughter's citizenship soon.

Any confirmation highly appreciated.

Comment

According to the immigration law she is considered a child since she is under 18 yrs old. I guess she also obtained her LPR/Green Card in the same way. As stated earlier in one of the replies yes she will automatically naturalized. But my question is to whom she will hand over her LPR/Green Card...will that be to the Passport Agency? It is worth asking this question to the Interview Officer or to one of the Oath Ceremony officers. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by skar123 View Post
            I was not aware about this possibility of the under 18 child being automatically US citizen when parents become citizen. Is it true? I have my oath ceremony this month. But my wife has not applied yet. In that case, will my 15 yr old daughter be citizen automatically? I was planning to for my daughter's citizenship soon.

Any confirmation highly appreciated.
            Yes, if she is not 18 yet and if she is a greencard holder, she will be automatically a US citizen as soon as one parent gets naturalized. As soon as you get your naturalization certificate, apply for her US passport book and US passport card (as back-up document).

Comment

Yes, if she is not 18 yet and if she is a greencard holder, she will be automatically a US citizen as soon as one parent gets naturalized. As soon as you get your naturalization certificate, apply for her US passport book and US passport card (as back-up document).

Thank you
              I have one more question.I have oath ceremony tomorrow.But I didnt get form 445 or letter.Is this a problem for me?

Comment

Originally posted by hp1 View Post
                Thank you
                I have one more question.I have oath ceremony tomorrow.But I didnt get form 445 or letter.Is this a problem for me?
                I am confused. So you did not got your oath notice but you have your oath tomorrow? How do you know that your oath is tomorrow?

Comment

I am confused. So you did not got your oath notice but you have your oath tomorrow? How do you know that your oath is tomorrow?

Waiting 45 days but I didnt get any letter from USCIS then schedule an appoinment w infopass.And they said me oath ceremony date and time

Comment

I have a question for you, during the Infopass session, did they hand over to you Form N-445 Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony Letter? If not you have to ask or wait until you get it. You need to fill it out and give it back alongside your Green Card to them in the Oath ceremony. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by osweiti50 View Post
                      I have a question for you, during the Infopass session, did they hand over to you Form N-445 Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony Letter? If not you have to ask or wait until you get it. You need to fill it out and give it back alongside your Green Card to them in the Oath ceremony. Good Luck.
                      They will most likely give the oath notice right there before the ceremony to fill the back out. We will know if the OP posts back.

--

Comment

They will most likely give the oath notice right there before the ceremony to fill the back out. We will know if the OP posts back.

--
                        I'm U.S: Citizen today.
                        Before oath ceremony just in case downloaded form n-445 and filled-out

Comment

I called to get the passport for a child 15 years old and is a resident (green card)

I called to get the passport for a child 15 years old and is a resident (green card holder for 5 years), the parent become a US citizen already. To get a passport they told me to have the naturalization certificate for my daughter first and then I can go and get a US passport for my daughter. They don't want to accept my Naturalization certificate, is that true? please let me know what else i can do, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by natalia920mr View Post
                            I called to get the passport for a child 15 years old and is a resident (green card holder for 5 years), the parent become a US citizen already. To get a passport they told me to have the naturalization certificate for my daughter first and then I can go and get a US passport for my daughter. They don't want to accept my Naturalization certificate, is that true? please let me know what else i can do, thanks
                            your child under the age of 18 can get a US passport without getting his/her certificate. visit your local post office or county clerks office to apply for passport. make sure its original and not a copy.

Comment

I thought I would add my 2 cents

So I went through the N-400 process and paid all the fees and get as far as the interview and take the test and pass.....Then the official reviews my documentation and realizes that my mother became a US Citizen when I was 17 and since I was a green card holder I automatically became a citizen....that was great news except he said he had to deny my N-400 and they could not refund my money or convert it into a N-600 he said a long time ago they used to have that authority but they changed the laws so there was nothing he could do.....I should have done more research but I was not aware of such laws. What did this mean for me? It meant they could not legally issue me a naturalization certificate through the N-400 since I technically was not naturalized. So there I was....so far yet back at square one without a US document saying I am a US Citizen.

Now for the passport here is what I took:

- 2 passport photos ( They make you take 2 but they only submit 1 and you keep the other so I am not sure why it is a requirement to take 2 but I wont question their ways)

- Form DS 11 all ready filled out. You can fill it out online then print it here: https://pptform.state.gov/

- My mothers original naturalization certificate

- My original foreign birth certificate (In Spanish) If it is not in English it needs to be translated.

- Translated Birth Certificate. NOTE: Places will charge $60 to $100 to do this but you can do it for free all you need is someone who is fluent in both languages to translate and near the bottom they need to sign a statement that says they certify that the document was correctly translated and that they are fluent in both languages.

- Letter from USCIS stating they denied my N-400 on the grounds that I am already a US Citizen from my mother (Of coarse you will not have this so it is not needed)

- I had them attach the following letter: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/f...Act_120100.pdf which is a fact sheet for the The Child Citizenship Act of 2000. I am sure they already know about it but I sent it just in case they questioned my application

- Pay your fees

I recommend going to your County Clerks office to submit your passport application. I don't mean to insult postal workers but the ones by me didn't seem to know how to handle my situation. The county clerks office was already aware and it was a quick and painless process also if you need passport photos they are probably the cheapest.

I also recommend you get both the card and book. You don't have to ask for expedited processing which is $60 BUT I would highly recommend expedited return which is just an extra $14.85

And that folks is it.
                              Last edited by turismo568; 10-08-2015, 07:11 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X