Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can L2 visa holder get SSN without EAD

Hi,

I would like to know if someone holding L2 visa can apply for SSN without having an EAD? The information on SSN site suggests that EAD is needed but I have heard from some friends that they could get L2 for their spouse without getting EAD so would like to get this clarified. Just in case it matters, I live in NJ.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

SSN can be obtained without EAD for L2. But that will not be of any use as EAD is needed to work in conjunction with the SSN.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for the information. My wife needs it for applying for driving license so guess that would suffice. We will get EAD when she can work.

Comment

Official link below.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

SSN is not required for DL, you can get one if you have never been issued an SSN. All DMV's know this.
          This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
            SSN is not required for DL, you can get one if you have never been issued an SSN. All DMV's know this.
            Depends on the state. Some states require a denial letter from SSA to process a "temporary" DL ONLY if the I-94 is valid for more than 1 year.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X