Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax on OPT and H1B

Hello Friends

I was on OPT till Oct 6, 2006 and then started working on H1B from Nov 24 with the same employer.
    MY employer failed to deduct SSN and MEdicare when I started working on H1, and when I pointed that out they said they would re-issue my W2 form

My question is:
    1. Do I need to get seperate W-2 forms for H1 and OPT employment?
    2. If yes, then do I need to file them on different forms?
    3. I was married as on Dec 31, 2006, can I claim my wife as a dependent though she is still not in the country?
    4. If yes, I understand I need to have an ITIN no for her, can I file my taxes and then amend them when she gets her ITIN no?

thank u in advance for ur help

1. Do I need to get seperate W-2 forms for H1 and OPT employment?
    No. Its good for you if social security and medicare tax didnt get cut. Forget about it.

2. If yes, then do I need to file them on different forms?
    -

3. I was married as on Dec 31, 2006, can I claim my wife as a dependent though she is still not in the country?
    No, she needs to be in the country. If she is expected to arrive in the US before the tax deadline (April 15 I think), then file your taxes after she arrives. You need to submit notarized copies of her passport along with Form W-7.

4. If yes, I understand I need to have an ITIN no for her, can I file my taxes and then amend them when she gets her ITIN no?
    You need to send the ITIN application (Form W-7) along with the tax return.

Comment

Thank you very much sir,

I already informed my company about the SSN and medicare, as I didnt want any troubles, I have done everything paid every tax, didnt want a couple months tax to mess it up later for me

Reg. Question 3, I am a little confused, if you say I cannot claim her as a dependent, then why do you suggest I should wait till she comes here to file taxes, and submit her passport copy? Am I missing something?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my query

Comment

Reg. Question 3, I am a little confused, if you say I cannot claim her as a dependent, then why do you suggest I should wait till she comes here to file taxes, and submit her passport copy? Am I missing something?

You misunderstood me. You can claim your wife as dependent only if she lives here. You need to enter the date she arrived in the US on the W-7 form. Go to the IRS website and download the W-7 form. You can add her as a dependent only if she is here in the US.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X