Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 renewal & avoiding 221g

Hello
    I did my Masters in Aerospace from MIT (between Aug 2008-Jan 2011) and thereafter I left US and worked in Germany for an year. Since Feb this year, I am working in India.

Essentially, I am now joining University of Houston for my PhD. The name of my program is "Space Life Sciences (SLS)" and it is under "PhD in Kinesiology and Exercise Sciences". SLS is not mentioned anywhere on my I-20 but I have got another letter from the univ which states my intention to pursue the doctoral curriculum in Space Life Sciences.

My previous F1 visa although is not "expired" (Expiration Date: June 2013, as the visa was given for 5 years), but I was told by my new univ that I should get a new visa as I have been away from US as a student for >5 months. They also issued me a new I-20 with a new SEVIS number and asked me to pay the SEVIS fees, so I did.

The reason I choose Univ of Houston is because of this program in SLS. I know the visa officer will mostly ask me why UH? and why this program?
    Since SLS is not mentioned on my I-20, I wonder if I should mention it at the outset, in order to justify going to UH? Or I should rather keep a low-profile and talk only about Kinesiology?

I have my visa interview on 2nd July in Delhi and I really want to avoid getting a 221g which may unnecessarily delay things. I need to report to UH by 16th Aug.

I also have a B1/B2 visa which was issued this year in March.

Any help / suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Rahul

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X