Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfering OCI to new passport for minor

Hi All,

My Self and my wife are born in India, but acquired Canadian citizenship. My daughter was born in Canada. We all got OCI cards in 2009 and visited India using them before. Now, we would like to visit India again however now, my daughter has new Canadian Passport as the old one expired. I was not aware until last week that I need to get the new OCI and U Visa on the new passport of my daughter since she is 20 years and under.

The rule says that if the OCI and U visa need to be renewed every time a new passport is issued for ages between 0 to 20 and 50 and above. Only ages 21 to 50 can show their old passport with U visa and the OCI card along with new passport and can enter into India. Till now I was under the impression that OCI is valid for life long for any age group.

However, I had booked tickets for my wife and daughter to go in July 2012, without knowing about this rule. After I came to know of this rule last week, I had called Indian Embassy Toronto several times but they never responded my calls. I had called VFS and Indian Embassy Ottawa and both of them had confirmed that the above rule is very well under effect.

The processing of this renewal of OCI under OCI Miscallanious services takes 3 months and I do not have that much time now as my wife and daughter need t travel this July 2012.

I had asked a friend of mine who works for Air India in Toronto Air Port and he says that as we are carrying my daughters old passport with U visa in it along with new passport and the OCI card they will issue a boarding pass and would let us go to India.

My question is:

Had any of you (or any known to you) were denied entry into India (at Indian Port of Entry) for a Minor (aged less than 20) having U visa in old passport but, no Indian Visa on New passport along with valid OCI?

I had visited the Ministry of Home Affairs website of India and entered the required information for renewal of my daughters OCI (Miscellaneous OCI services), the information I had got is that "It is not mandatory to change OCI documents, However if desired you can apply for Misc Services"

I am now totally confused, any help is appreciated, so that I can take my chances.
    Yes a Minor can go to India without the renewal of U Visa on New Passport
    0.00%
    No, the Immigration Officer at the port of entry will deny entry into India.
    100.00%
    Even if Immigration Officer denies entry he would help us getting TLF
    0.00%

Hello there - can you please let me know if you faced any issues with respect to the below or did you have no issues travelling with your daughter with carrying her old passport with U-visa stamp? Thanks!

Originally posted by rapaha View Post
    Hi All,

My Self and my wife are born in India, but acquired Canadian citizenship. My daughter was born in Canada. We all got OCI cards in 2009 and visited India using them before. Now, we would like to visit India again however now, my daughter has new Canadian Passport as the old one expired. I was not aware until last week that I need to get the new OCI and U Visa on the new passport of my daughter since she is 20 years and under.

The rule says that if the OCI and U visa need to be renewed every time a new passport is issued for ages between 0 to 20 and 50 and above. Only ages 21 to 50 can show their old passport with U visa and the OCI card along with new passport and can enter into India. Till now I was under the impression that OCI is valid for life long for any age group.

However, I had booked tickets for my wife and daughter to go in July 2012, without knowing about this rule. After I came to know of this rule last week, I had called Indian Embassy Toronto several times but they never responded my calls. I had called VFS and Indian Embassy Ottawa and both of them had confirmed that the above rule is very well under effect.

The processing of this renewal of OCI under OCI Miscallanious services takes 3 months and I do not have that much time now as my wife and daughter need t travel this July 2012.

I had asked a friend of mine who works for Air India in Toronto Air Port and he says that as we are carrying my daughters old passport with U visa in it along with new passport and the OCI card they will issue a boarding pass and would let us go to India.

My question is:

Had any of you (or any known to you) were denied entry into India (at Indian Port of Entry) for a Minor (aged less than 20) having U visa in old passport but, no Indian Visa on New passport along with valid OCI?

I had visited the Ministry of Home Affairs website of India and entered the required information for renewal of my daughters OCI (Miscellaneous OCI services), the information I had got is that "It is not mandatory to change OCI documents, However if desired you can apply for Misc Services"

I am now totally confused, any help is appreciated, so that I can take my chances.

Comment

I had traveled 3 times to Hyderabad airport after I had posted this here. So far no issues. All that they wanted is to have the new passport, old passport in which the visa is stamped and the OCI card.

Originally posted by prakashn79 View Post
      Hello there - can you please let me know if you faced any issues with respect to the below or did you have no issues travelling with your daughter with carrying her old passport with U-visa stamp? Thanks!

Comment

I am in ur situation.....did carrying the old passport and the PCI card help. I see u

Qu travelled 3 times, I am in ur situation, so carrying old passport and PCI card help.., my son is 11 years old

Originally posted by rapaha View Post
        Hi All,

My question is:

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X