Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-entry on valid F1 visa and different SEVIS number on I-20 but same university.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-entry on valid F1 visa and different SEVIS number on I-20 but same university.

Hello Guys,

I got a question about my re-entry in US. I have valid visa till July 2013. I've completed my MS in dec 2010. P.S i haven't took transfer in any university. I studied in the same university through out which is listed on my passport.

Than I worked on OPT for a year and than I came back to India. Haven't applied for STEM Extension. Now I have applied for new MS program of fall 2012 in the same university listed on my passport. University have issued me a new I-20 but the SEVIS number on I-20 is different than listed on my passport.

So My question is Do I need to go to consulate to change SEVIS number? Travel on valid visa and new I-20 will allow me to enter in US?

Please reply guys. Need to have answer ASAP.

If you have not been in F1 status for longer than 5 months, your Visa will be invalid. You will need to get a new Visa.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

hey prateek, this is the same case as mine? I just wanted to know if this 5 month clause is applicable to ppl who left for their home country and where not a student anymore?
      wat is ur plan of action? are u applying for a new visa? or are u trying for a rentry on ur old visa? pls suggest.

Comment

Any 5 month break in F1 status invalidates the F1 Visa.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
          Any 5 month break in F1 status invalidates the F1 Visa.
          Hi kabkaba. Thanks for your reply. You said any five month break invalidates f1 visa. But you see, my going out of country was not a break. It was course completion. A break (of 5months or more) is for students who where on F1 status. When i left the country post my OPT, my sevis status was completed. This means i was not out of status. When a sevis status is terminated, (which is the case for students who take a leave of absences for 5 months or more), then the student becomes out of status.

The F1 visa stamp is only a travel document. Dont you think a new i120, a new sevis id should therefore be enough for my rentry. As far as my knowledge goes, the students F1 visa gets invalid when he or she takes a break of more than 5 months during a full time course.
          pls dont misunderstand me. I am just trying to get clarity.

Can u pls suggest you opinion?

Comment

SEVIS completed = Break
            New Visa is required. Send an email to the consulate (not VFS) to inquire.

Comment

Originally posted by shaolin3810 View Post
              Hi kabkaba. Thanks for your reply. You said any five month break invalidates f1 visa. But you see, my going out of country was not a break. It was course completion. A break (of 5months or more) is for students who where on F1 status. When i left the country post my OPT, my sevis status was completed. This means i was not out of status. When a sevis status is terminated, (which is the case for students who take a leave of absences for 5 months or more), then the student becomes out of status.

The F1 visa stamp is only a travel document. Dont you think a new I-20, a new sevis id should therefore be enough for my rentry. As far as my knowledge goes, the students F1 visa gets invalid when he or she takes a break of more than 5 months during a full time course.
              pls dont misunderstand me. I am just trying to get clarity.

Can u pls suggest you opinion?
              I talk to my university DSO and she told me that I just need to pay sevis fee and have to take a date for interview which is not same that we faced before. It's a admin process. VO will collect passport, change the SEVIS number and returned you back. This is only if you are going to the same university which is stated on your passport.

My DSO told me "5 months break is only applies to student who hasn't finished they degree and has been out of US for more than 5 months"

Also she told me that in past few student just travel on new I20 and old visa. Visa officer at POE allowed those students. But still she told me to verify with VFS once. I did verify by personally going to VFS, met admin at mumbai office and he also told me the same thing that I just need to pay SEVIS fee. I do not need new visa as I have completed my degree in timely manner and never been out status.

My Opinion is that you should double check with VFS again and please post your comment here so that we can have clear picture.

Do not depend up on my words as situation can be different.

Comment

HI Pratik , even i have a same problem now diifferent sevis number compared to the visa page. please advise have you went for a visa again?

Comment

Hey I'm having the same problem what did you do have you obtained new visa

Comment

change in sevis number on visa will i face any problem while port of entry

My visa got approved for jan 2015 spring intake unfortunately i didn't able
                    to attend for spring intake due to some family problem .I have deffered
                    addmission to summer intake and I got new I-20 from same university but
                    with different sevis id can i enter USA with this i-20 for summer intake or
                    do i need to attend again visa.

I have tranfered my old sevis fees to new sevis fees.and can you tell me
                    please will i face any problem while entering USA

Comment

Originally posted by sunnyghanathey View Post
                      My visa got approved for jan 2015 spring intake unfortunately i didn't able
                      to attend for spring intake due to some family problem .I have deffered
                      addmission to summer intake and I got new I-20 from same university but
                      with different sevis id can i enter USA with this i-20 for summer intake or
                      do i need to attend again visa.

I'm also in same situation, i have to pay sevis fees again or not...

Comment

Re-entry on valid F1 visa and different SEVIS number on I-20 but same univers

My visa got approved for march 2015 summer intake unfortunately i didn't able
                        to attend for summer intake due to some family problem .I have to deffered
                        addmission to summer intake and they told to send me a new I-20 from same university from this year 2016 may or june intake but
                        with different sevis id. even if a different SEVIS id means should I need to presence new consulate interview ? or else I am able to travel same visa ? can i enter USA with t

Comment

What you found out I'm in the same situation

Originally posted by raja 1212 View Post
                          My visa got approved for march 2015 summer intake unfortunately i didn't able
                          to attend for summer intake due to some family problem .I have to deffered
                          addmission to summer intake and they told to send me a new I-20 from same university from this year 2016 may or june intake but
                          with different sevis id. even if a different SEVIS id means should I need to presence new consulate interview ? or else I am able to travel same visa ? can i enter USA with t

What you found out I'm in the same situation

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X