Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do i need to get my visa stamped while coming back from Bahamas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i need to get my visa stamped while coming back from Bahamas?

Hi All,
    My visa was expired on march 2012 and i got it extended till next year Jan 2013.
    so currently i have I-797 and new I-94 with me but my visa is not stamped as i didn't go to India to get it stamped.
    My question is do i need to have it stamped if i go to Bahamas on tourist visa?
    I guess visa needs to be stamped to re-enter in US. but I heard that if i have I-94 then it is not necessary.
    Someone please clarify.
    Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by sarveshbangre View Post
    Hi All,
    My visa was expired on march 2012 and i got it extended till next year Jan 2013.
    so currently i have I-797 and new I-94 with me but my visa is not stamped as i didn't go to India to get it stamped.
    My question is do i need to have it stamped if i go to Bahamas on tourist visa?
    I guess visa needs to be stamped to re-enter in US. but I heard that if i have I-94 then it is not necessary.
    Someone please clarify.
    Thanks in advance.
    The I94 that came with your I797 is to allow you to remain legally in the US. If you DO NOT leave the US, then you don't need to attend an interview and get a new visa stamped. And *GENERALLY SPEAKING*, if you leave the US, you will need to surrender both I94s (the one you had + the one on the I797 - staple them both together). And to re-enter the US you need a valid visa - I797 isn't a visa.

You're in luck that going to Bahamas falls under "Automatic Revalidation" or google for "Re-entering the U.S. with a Valid I-94 Form & Expired Visa is Limited" but in short:

* DO NOT surrender your I94s when boarding the plane - neither the old one nor the one that came with the I797
    * DO carry both I94s with you on your travel - you will need them to reenter the USA
    * may be a good idea to carry the I797 (original) too

Be aware that when checking in the airline counter agent may ask you to surrender your I94 - explain to him/her your situation and why you can't do so. Also be aware that your stay outside the US in Bahamas cannot be more than 30 days.

Comment

wow... this is great information.
      Thanks a lot

Comment

Hi

Hi

I am planning to go to bahamas this March. I am in similar situation. Can you please tell me if you did go to bahamas and come back to US without having Visa stamped.

Appreciate your response.

Comment

Originally posted by saranyaa.bala View Post
          Hi

I am planning to go to bahamas this March. I am in similar situation. Can you please tell me if you did go to bahamas and come back to US without having Visa stamped.

Appreciate your response.
          What's your status?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X