Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I apply to change surname on my indian passport after having I-797B approved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I apply to change surname on my indian passport after having I-797B approved

In my current Indian passport, my name is listed as

Given name: Anurag Kumar Nilesh
    Surname:

The Form I-129 petition was filled with the following name by my employer Rocket Fuel Inc.
    Given name(first name): Anurag Kumar Nilesh
    Surname(last name): LNU

It was approved by USCIS with a slight spelling mistake of missing the letter 'H' in Nilesh.
    Given name(first name): Anurag Kumar Niles
    Surname(last name): LNU

However, while filling up DS-160 it is instructed that based on the current information in my passport, I should use fill the form as
    Given name(first name): FNU
    Surname(last name): Anurag Kumar Nilesh

I have two concerns if I fill up the information as instructed.
    1) Is the slight spelling mistake in the approval notice will cause an issue in approval of visa?
    2) Is the mismatch in the given name/last name in the form I-797B and the DS-160 form will cause an issue in approval of visa?

Reading the information on web, I also realize that not having a proper first name or last name causes lot of issues in government offices in US like while getting driving license or filing income tax returns. So, I was thinking of applying for name bifurcation to get Nilesh as my surname and Anurag Kumar as given name and this name change process can be completed within 10-20 days. However, I am skeptical if I fill up DS-160 with information as in my new passport (that will get issued), will it affect my chances of getting the visa because the petition was approved based on my current passport.

So, I have these three main concerns if I go about getting a new passport now.
    1) Is it fine to get a new passport now before filling up the DS-160 form and getting a visa appointment?
    2) If I bring along my old passport along with new passport and other documents needed for h1b visa, I have all the required documents for my visa appointment?
    3) Would it be safer to get the visa stamped on my current passport without any name change and then apply for surname change so that I have the correct passport information for I-94.

In a nutshell, I see three options for myself
    1) Go through name correction steps in US.
    2) Get a new passport now and apply for visa on new passport.
    3) Get visa on existing passport and then apply for a new passport.

I would really appreciate if someone could advise on what would be the best thing to do now.

Hi Anurag, I have been in the same situation a few years ago and nothing seemed to work except for correcting the details in the Passport (Which I got corrected at the Passport Office and received the new Passport in 10-12 days) and I appearing for the Visa Interview with both the Old and the new Passport (My Visa was approved based on the details in the new Passport and the Visa Officer didn't even demand to see the old Passport), but your case is not just the problem with the Surname, and you seem to be having issue with the spelling as well, which I do not how you can handle.

Comment

Thanks for reaching out. I feel a bit less stressed knowing that I am not the only one who had such an issue

I checked up with attorney and it turns out that there wasn't actually a spelling mistake. The last letter went missing due to constraint on number of characters that cane be printed. That sorts out one of my issue.

Do you think that now going for a name change while in India isn't that risky now? By the way, did you get your name changed in India via normal scheme or tatkal scheme?

Originally posted by tmnaveed View Post
      Hi Anurag, I have been in the same situation a few years ago and nothing seemed to work except for correcting the details in the Passport (Which I got corrected at the Passport Office and received the new Passport in 10-12 days) and I appearing for the Visa Interview with both the Old and the new Passport (My Visa was approved based on the details in the new Passport and the Visa Officer didn't even demand to see the old Passport), but your case is not just the problem with the Surname, and you seem to be having issue with the spelling as well, which I do not how you can handle.

Comment

Originally posted by Anurag Nilesh View Post
        Thanks for reaching out. I feel a bit less stressed knowing that I am not the only one who had such an issue

I checked up with attorney and it turns out that there wasn't actually a spelling mistake. The last letter went missing due to constraint on number of characters that cane be printed. That sorts out one of my issue.

Do you think that now going for a name change while in India isn't that risky now? By the way, did you get your name changed in India via normal scheme or tatkal scheme?
        Hi Anurag,

I am in the same situation as you are in and dont clearly know what to do...pls let me know how you approached this issue ..were there any complications involved??

Comment

Originally posted by An08 View Post
          Hi Anurag,

I am in the same situation as you are in and dont clearly know what to do...pls let me know how you approached this issue ..were there any complications involved??
          I went through the following process:
          1. Change my surname and given name in passport by taking a tatkal appointment. I tried my luck of trying to book an online appointment through the passport seva kendra website but failed 2-3 days in succession. They open slots for only next two days and the slots get filled up within 5 minutes. So, I went to the regional passport office and got an appointment for the same day.

I did a bifurcation of my existing name, so I didn't need any court affidavit which is needed while changing name in passport. I made Nilesh as my surname and Anurag Kumar as first name. Since, I had applied for tatkal process, I had to submit 2 address proofs. I submitted a letter from my company's HR and a statement from bank. I got my passport back in 4-5 days with changed name.

2. Since, I had already paid up the visa fees using old passport, i had to go to the VFS local center in Bangalore and requested them to change the passport number associated with the fees receipt number. That was done instantly in 5 minutes.
          3. After that, I booked a visa appointment using my new passport details. I got an appointment for next week.
          4. I went through the visa interview process, I wasn't asked anything regarding the change of passport as the visa officials are aware of this existing issue.

Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Comment

Did you amended the approval notice I-797B with your new passport name

Hi Nilesh,

I am having the same issue, please help me.

If I bifurcate the name in the passport, I will get new passport. Will that cause any problem for H1 Visa stamping, as petition was filled with old passport without bifurcated name.

Did after bifurcation of the Name, did you get new I-797B with bifurcated name ?

I am confused with this, please advice me.

Thanks
            Sunny

1. Change my surname and given name in passport by taking a tatkal appointment. I tried my luck of trying to book an online appointment through the passport seva kendra website but failed 2-3 days in succession. They open slots for only next two days and the slots get filled up within 5 minutes. So, I went to the regional passport office and got an appointment for the same day.

I did a bifurcation of my existing name, so I didn't need any court affidavit which is needed while changing name in passport. I made Nilesh as my surname and Anurag Kumar as first name. Since, I had applied for tatkal process, I had to submit 2 address proofs. I submitted a letter from my company's HR and a statement from bank. I got my passport back in 4-5 days with changed name.

2. Since, I had already paid up the visa fees using old passport, i had to go to the VFS local center in Bangalore and requested them to change the passport number associated with the fees receipt number. That was done instantly in 5 minutes.
            3. After that, I booked a visa appointment using my new passport details. I got an appointment for next week.
            4. I went through the visa interview process, I wasn't asked anything regarding the change of passport as the visa officials are aware of this existing issue.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysethi View Post
              Hi Nilesh,

I am having the same issue, please help me.

If I bifurcate the name in the passport, I will get new passport. Will that cause any problem for H1 Visa stamping, as petition was filled with old passport without bifurcated name.

Did after bifurcation of the Name, did you get new I-797B with bifurcated name ?

I am confused with this, please advice me.

Thanks
              Sunny
              Its clearly a mistake on USCIS part to issue a wrong petition. Try to contact the consulate and tell them about your problem. Dont try to cut corners to enter the US, it will be your worst mistake. It could also lead you to a ban. If I were in your place, I would fill the DS 160 as per my passport and get my visa stamped. Once entering US, your license will be your sole ID card for which you need to show your passport. During that time you can fill your name as your want it, First and last name separated.
              When you apply for a fresh passport, split your name and when applying for visa extension, everything will go smoothly.
              Again, I would go ahead with the processing after contacting the consulate.

Good luck,
              Speed.
              ------------------------
              I reply with my experience and not from any legal perspective.

Comment

Name bifurcation issue

Hi Anurag, I am facing the same issue .

In my passport Given Name is YYYY YYY and surname is blank and everywhere including I 20,DS-160 and Sevis Payment(both 200$ and rs 9120). I have filled like Give Name YYYY and surname as YYY
                I just saw it now and I am not sure what to do now. I am planning to schedule VI on 17-18 June.
                What I heard is reissue of passport takes some time and I dont have much. What should I do?
                If I apply for reissue of passport after Visa would that be a problem ?

Also my passport was issued in jaipur stating the address as my college hostel address, now I live in bangalore. would that be a problem?

Is it advisable to get VI now and then change passport as I am worried it may take some time and visa slots are getting filled up quickly.

what do u advise ?

I didn't understand ur VFS part in ur post ? What and where is it in bangalore? I am applying for US F-1 visa , what do I need to do?

Please reply asap

Thanks
                Anil

keepvid

Comment

Urgent clarification required Please help

Hi,

I have a urgent clarification regarding my friend's H1B. His petition for H1B extension was filled earlier and its been more than 3.5 months but still under Initial Review.
                  He applied for a Indian passport renewal before few days of leaving India and got his new passport. There was a address mismatch issue with his new passport.
                  Will this cause Petition denial/RFE ?? Could this be the reason for the delay in decision. Please suggest.

Thanks.

Comment

Change in Name before leaving India having valid US visa

I am still in India and i have valid visa stamped on my current passport.
                    Now planning to Bifurcation of Given Name into Given Name and Surname on Passport before leaving from India Passport office.
                    Will it create any impact on My Visa which is on old passport and My I797B which has Given name as blank.

As i understand i need to carry both passport while travelling.

As per Current Passport
                    Given Name : Kishor Kumar
                    Surname :

As per New Passport
                    Given Name : Kishor
                    Surname : Kumar

Comment

Given Name / Surname Issue in Passport

I have a similar problem in my passport...but a bit different...

I have the Name as (Old passport)
                      Given Name : ABC
                      Suranme : YYYZZZ (my middle name & last name is merged as Surname)

But should be :
                      Given Name : ABC YYY
                      Suranme : ZZZ

Now do i have to go thro the Affidavit & newspaper ad before I request for a Reissue ?
                      My passport is more than 9 years old & I have few more months before Expiry...

Any Help will be greatly appretiated...

Regards,
                      Venky.

Comment

Urgent info on Name bifurcation

Originally posted by Kishor Kumar View Post
                        Now planning to Bifurcation of Given Name into Given Name and Surname on Passport before leaving from India Passport office.
                        Will it create any impact on My Visa which is on old passport and My I797B which has Given name as blank.

As per Current Passport
                        Surname :

As per New Passport
                        " Hi Kishore

i want to go for name bifurcation for my current passport to avoid FNU complications . My employer has applied for petition i have not received the petition yet .

My question is can i go for a new passport with name split now, since i have given the details of my old passport without surname for petition will that be a problem??

Also share your experience , did u travel with both the passport?? Didn't that create any problems after reaching US???
                        Please suggest

Waiting for your valuable suggestions!!!!!

Thanks in Advance "

Comment

Kishor, did you face any problem or questions asked in immigration?

Kishor, did you face any problem or questions asked in immigration?
                          Originally posted by Kishor Kumar View Post

As per Current Passport
                          Surname :

As per New Passport
                          - - - Updated - - -

did you face any problem or questions asked in immigration? or was it sufficient to carry 2 passports
                          Originally posted by niki77 View Post
                          " Hi Kishore

i want to go for name bifurcation for my current passport to avoid FNU complications . My employer has applied for petition i have not received the petition yet .

My question is can i go for a new passport with name split now, since i have given the details of my old passport without surname for petition will that be a problem??

Also share your experience , did u travel with both the passport?? Didn't that create any problems after reaching US???
                          Please suggest

Waiting for your valuable suggestions!!!!!

Thanks in Advance "

Comment

Need Help ..passport and i-797 name issue

Please help..

hese are my details

Old Passport :-

Given name- Parmod Kumar

Surname – Blanks

I-797:-

Given Name – Parmod Kumar

Surname –LNU

I-129:-

Surname – Last name unknown

New Passport:-

Given Name – Parmod

Surname – Kumar

When I joined my employer i-797 approved as per my old passport (i-797 LNU,PARMOD KUMAR) but my old passport got expire so i got my passport with split name as Parmod, Kumar.
                            I have to visit india very urgent now..And haven't file i-797 Amendment... Is it mandatory to file for i-797 Amendment for name split... Also will it create any problem if i go for stamping as i don't have time to file for i-797 amendment. i need to visit india with in 2-3 weeks.

Comment

approved I797B with old passport

I am facing the same issue that I have approved I797B with Old passport with Surname as Blank

Old Passport:
                              Surname: Blanks
                              Given Name: YYYY ABC

I797B:

Beneficiary name : LNU, YYYY ABC

New Passport:
                              Surname: ABC
                              Given Name: ZZZ

I have not had VISA Stamping yet. Please suggest will it cause any issue if go for visa stamping with DS160 as per new passport details? Since name on new passport and DS160 will be different than I797B. Please advice me on the same.

Originally posted by goyatparmod View Post
                              Please help..

hese are my details

Old Passport :-

Given name- Parmod Kumar

Surname – Blanks

I-797:-

Surname –LNU

I-129:-

Surname – Last name unknown

New Passport:-

Given Name – Parmod

Surname – Kumar

When I joined my employer i-797 approved as per my old passport (i-797 LNU,PARMOD KUMAR) but my old passport got expire so i got my passport with split name as Parmod, Kumar.
                              I have to visit india very urgent now..And haven't file i-797 Amendment... Is it mandatory to file for i-797 Amendment for name split... Also will it create any problem if i go for stamping as i don't have time to file for i-797 amendment. i need to visit india with in 2-3 weeks.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X