Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent question: OPT EAD card lost in mail

Hello,

I realize that similar questions were posted in the forum before but I saw many different cases. Could you please help me with my case? Thank you so much!

I applied my F-1 OPT at June 21, 2012 and received the Notice of Approval (I-797) at August 4th saying that my application is approved at July 31 and the EAD card was sent. When I login the USCIS website, it said that the card was delivered by USPS at August 3rd. However, until now I didn't receive the card yet. I called USCIS and got the tracking number of the mail. But the USPS website also indicated that it was delivered. I went to the local post office twice and they said that since the mail was delivered, there is nothing they can do. Hence, I think my card is lost in mail. I called the USCIS again and the representative put my case into a service request saying that I didn't receive the card. They asked me to call back if I didn't hear anything for 15 days.

I found quite a lot of similar cases online and there are different ways for the next step. I would really appreciate if you could let me know your opinions on these:

1. Do you think whether USCIS will send me a new card with the service request? It seems very few people reported that they can get a new card.

2. If I apply for the OPT using I-765 form again, should I apply for a new permission to accept employment or Replacement (of lost EAD)? I saw different opinions on this too. Since I never received my card (but it is not returned to USCIS since the USPS people say it was delivered), does it mean that I have to apply for a new permission?

3. I got a job offer that asks me to start at August 30th. If I apply for a replacement of lost EAD, am I qualified to use the I-9 form or 90-days rules to start working with the receipt of the application? Some messages online say that this is valid but I am not sure about my case. I read the USCIS Customer Service Reference Guide - Employment Authorization and it says:

"Replacement EAD
    An application for a replacement EAD is filed if a card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, or when the previously issued card contains erroneous information, such as a misspelled name or name change. If an application for a replacement EAD is approved, the replacement EAD will have the same dates and category as the EAD that was lost, stolen, etc.
    Persons applying for replacement documents can present the receipt for the I-765 as evidence of employment eligibility but must produce a valid card within 90 days of showing the receipt."

I think if I apply for a replacement card, this should be OK for me to start work with the receipt, right?

4. If I have to apply for a new EAD and have to wait until I get the new card so that I can start to work, is there anyway to expedite the application process? My employer asks me to start at August 30th. I do have a job offer letter and can ask my employer to write another letter. Also I won't have any financial support if I don't start to work at August 30th. Will these help to expedite the application process? Should I also make an appointment with InfoPass?

Any leads or information would be really appreciated! Thank you so much!
    Last edited by PineLiu; 08-11-2012, 11:33 AM.

Originally posted by PineLiu View Post
    Hello,

I realize that similar questions were posted in the forum before but I saw many different cases. Could you please help me with my case? Thank you so much!

I applied my F-1 OPT at June 21, 2012 and received the Notice of Approval (I-797) at August 4th saying that my application is approved at July 31 and the EAD card was sent. When I login the USCIS website, it said that the card was delivered by USPS at August 3rd. However, until now I didn't receive the card yet. I called USCIS and got the tracking number of the mail. But the USPS website also indicated that it was delivered. I went to the local post office twice and they said that since the mail was delivered, there is nothing they can do. Hence, I think my card is lost in mail. I called the USCIS again and the representative put my case into a service request saying that I didn't receive the card. They asked me to call back if I didn't hear anything for 15 days.

I found quite a lot of similar cases online and there are different ways for the next step. I would really appreciate if you could let me know your opinions on these:

1. Do you think whether USCIS will send me a new card with the service request? It seems very few people reported that they can get a new card.

2. If I apply for the OPT using I-765 form again, should I apply for a new permission to accept employment or Replacement (of lost EAD)? I saw different opinions on this too. Since I never received my card (but it is not returned to USCIS since the USPS people say it was delivered), does it mean that I have to apply for a new permission?

3. I got a job offer that asks me to start at August 30th. If I apply for a replacement of lost EAD, am I qualified to use the I-9 form or 90-days rules to start working with the receipt of the application? Some messages online say that this is valid but I am not sure about my case. I read the USCIS Customer Service Reference Guide - Employment Authorization and it says:

"Replacement EAD
    An application for a replacement EAD is filed if a card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, or when the previously issued card contains erroneous information, such as a misspelled name or name change. If an application for a replacement EAD is approved, the replacement EAD will have the same dates and category as the EAD that was lost, stolen, etc.
    Persons applying for replacement documents can present the receipt for the I-765 as evidence of employment eligibility but must produce a valid card within 90 days of showing the receipt."

I think if I apply for a replacement card, this should be OK for me to start work with the receipt, right?

4. If I have to apply for a new EAD and have to wait until I get the new card so that I can start to work, is there anyway to expedite the application process? My employer asks me to start at August 30th. I do have a job offer letter and can ask my employer to write another letter. Also I won't have any financial support if I don't start to work at August 30th. Will these help to expedite the application process? Should I also make an appointment with InfoPass?

Any leads or information would be really appreciated! Thank you so much!
    Hello,

How did you sort this issue out. Did you re apply I-765 and if so how long did it take you to get the card.

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

OPT EAD card lost in mail! USPS says its delivered! re-entry to US ? new EAD ?

Hi I have a very similar case, could you please respond and let me know what have you done to sort out things!

Here is my case "USCIS says it has sent on jan 04 (2014) and ironically usps tracking# shows it's delivered on jan 03 (2014). Whereas I got the tracking number# on Jan 05 via email. However no one at my place has received the mail. Neither USCIS nor USPS takes the responsibility of lost EAD card The actual problem is I left US once my OPT was approved (card/document in production) on Dec 26th. Then things went weird this way. As of now I contacted univ international services for help ! And they raised a request to uscis and currently waiting for their response ... Not sure how long should I wait.
      My OPT starting date is Feb 03 2014.
      Here are my questions:
      * Does Univ international services is of any help ?
      * Can I request my EAD card from USCIS without re-application for lost/replacement card (as I haven't received the card) ?
      * Also Can I apply I 765 for replacement/lost card outside US ?
      * At the port of entry will it be a problem if I travel without EAD card ?
      * I welcome suggestions that could help in this process !

Thanks in advance!!"

Comment

Problem solved !!!

Originally posted by Shashaankar Reddy K View Post
        Hi I have a very similar case, could you please respond and let me know what have you done to sort out things!

Here is my case "USCIS says it has sent on jan 04 (2014) and ironically usps tracking# shows it's delivered on jan 03 (2014). Whereas I got the tracking number# on Jan 05 via email. However no one at my place has received the mail. Neither USCIS nor USPS takes the responsibility of lost EAD card The actual problem is I left US once my OPT was approved (card/document in production) on Dec 26th. Then things went weird this way. As of now I contacted univ international services for help ! And they raised a request to uscis and currently waiting for their response ... Not sure how long should I wait.
        My OPT starting date is Feb 03 2014.
        Here are my questions:
        * Does Univ international services is of any help ?
        * Can I request my EAD card from USCIS without re-application for lost/replacement card (as I haven't received the card) ?
        * Also Can I apply I 765 for replacement/lost card outside US ?
        * At the port of entry will it be a problem if I travel without EAD card ?
        * I welcome suggestions that could help in this process !

Thanks in advance!!"

I see many people contacting me for similar lost EAD card scenario, it's better to contact me @ [email protected]. I will plan to post the complete procedure to get the card and how to handle cases like when students are in India and applying for a lost EAD card.

Thanks,
        /Shashaankar

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X