Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Certified Indian passport copy for ITIN (How to get it ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for your response. As per IRS site, this verification process becomes Effective January 31, 2013 (see the link below). So, I am planning to go sometime in Feb, will keep you updated or feel free to remind me thru pm, to update the thread.

Comment

I guess this link answers our queries.

All Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) applicants, including children, must appear in person at the time the Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is submitted to have their passport and/or national identification card returned the same day.

This office will review and certify original passports and national identification cards only.

All other original documentation and copies of documentation certified by issuing agencies will be forwarded with the Form W-7 application to the IRS ITIN Office.

This service begins January 31, 2013

Its not a legal advise, its the knowledge & information i found on internet with the help of google search

Comment

Originally posted by raj33221 View Post
        Hi,

Iam also in the same situation.

My wife is in India and we want to get a certified passport copy for ITIN in USA.

Kindly share the procedure/forms asap.

Thanks,
        Rajesh
        I applied today - the process is pretty straightforward.

Complete your tax returns, and w7 for spouse & dependents. Carry these documents, original passports of all w7 applicants, xerox copies of passport first and last page / visa page / I94 to one of the TACs doing ITIN verification. TAC will do the verification and submit the tax return to IRS Austin office for processing.

Very important - the person filing return & all dependents (including children) need to visit the TAC center together for this process. Also note that from this year - child tax credit on ITIN will only be possible if the kid meets the substantial presence test. For this, attach schedule 8812.

This is not legal advice, just based on my reading / experience.

Comment

Abk78,
          Thanks for your update.
          Which office did you visit? And how long was the waiting time?

Comment

I visited the baileys crossroads center in Virginia. The whole process took half an hour.... no waiting.

Comment

Abk78,
              Hope you are on a work visa H1/L1.
              Which option you selected in W7 form for the "Reason you are submitting Form W-7", for your child ?

d. Dependent of U.S. citizen/resident alien
              g. Dependent/spouse of a nonresident alien holding a U.S. visa

I am just confused. I understand that me and my child are resident aliens for the tax purposes. But for the option c they have specified that explicitly.
              c. U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return

Comment

Originally posted by binoca82 View Post
                Abk78,
                Hope you are on a work visa H1/L1.
                Which option you selected in W7 form for the "Reason you are submitting Form W-7", for your child ?

d. Dependent of U.S. citizen/resident alien
                g. Dependent/spouse of a nonresident alien holding a U.S. visa

I am just confused. I understand that me and my child are resident aliens for the tax purposes. But for the option c they have specified that explicitly.
                c. U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return
                I am on H1. I chose d for child and e for spouse, because I am a resident alien for tax purposes. If I was a non-resident alien, I would have chosen g for both spouse and child.

I think the definition of resident alien is consistent throughout all tax forms, so you should probably chose d for your child.

Comment

apply for ITIN for dependent but they are in India now

Hello,

I am having same problem. In my case my dependents are in India(moved back recently), so I dont have original document any more with me. I do have notarized copy from chase bank of dependent passport.

Could someone please advice me what to do in this case...? I dont think so they can go to indian passport office in india and get a certified copy.

Comment

Certified Indian passport copy for ITIN (How to get it ?)

Originally posted by ntneo View Post
                    Hi binoca82,
                    Thanks for this link. I am in Michigan which does not have any offices for the document verification.
                    My tax consultant sent me to the Detroit IRS(not in the above list) where it was not accepted. Now I understand why.

Please reply if you are able to complete this in NJ.
                    Nearest IRS office for document verification to me is in Chicago, so I would have to plan a trip there.

Hi ntneo,
                    Even i stay in Michigan and have the same problem. There is no option left apart from visting Chicago or Indiana office to get the passport verified.
                    Did you visit the chicago office.Can you update me on this please.

Thanks,
                    Ankurk

Comment

Please help me to certify the passport & VISA status

Hi,

i have my spouse and kid staying with me. Can i go to IRS local office along with my spouse & kids and get the verification done on same day without submitting passport original for 2months processing?

Comment

Certified Indian passport copy for ITIN from India .?

Originally posted by raj33221 View Post
                        Hi,

Iam also in the same situation.

My wife is in India and we want to get a certified passport copy for ITIN in USA.

Kindly share the procedure/forms asap.

Thanks,
                        Rajesh
                        Hi Rajesh -

Did you found a solution for applying ITIN when spouse/dependent are in India. My family recently moved back to India and I have to apply for ITIN. I dont have original passports with me.

Pls advice.

Comment

Originally posted by binoca82 View Post
                          Thanks for your response. As per IRS site, this verification process becomes Effective January 31, 2013 (see the link below). So, I am planning to go sometime in Feb, will keep you updated or feel free to remind me thru pm, to update the thread.
                          Hi binoca82, I applied for ITIN successfully, thanks for your link.

Originally posted by Ankurk View Post
                          Hi ntneo,
                          Even i stay in Michigan and have the same problem. There is no option left apart from visting Chicago or Indiana office to get the passport verified.
                          Did you visit the chicago office.Can you update me on this please.

Thanks,
                          Ankurk
                          Hi Ankurk,

I made a trip to Chicago to the Indian consulate and got the attested copy of the Passport. Getting the attested copy of the passport is easy, just follow the instructions on the consulate website and take 2 copies of the passport.

Later I went to the IRS office in Chicago and completed the procedure. They verified the passport and gave it back. However I also gave them attested copy of the passport just to be safe.

Comment

Details

Hi ntneo,

Few questions:

1. Does IRS chicago considering the original passport? If yes, then we do not need the attestated copies right?
                            2. Did you took your family to IRS office even after you had the attested copies?
                            3. There are other documents like marriage certificate and birth certificate, Are they giving that back as well.

Please advise, if there are any other detials i need to know. Thanks

Originally posted by ntneo View Post
                            Hi binoca82, I applied for ITIN successfully, thanks for your link.

Hi Ankurk,

I made a trip to Chicago to the Indian consulate and got the attested copy of the Passport. Getting the attested copy of the passport is easy, just follow the instructions on the consulate website and take 2 copies of the passport.

Later I went to the IRS office in Chicago and completed the procedure. They verified the passport and gave it back. However I also gave them attested copy of the passport just to be safe.

Comment

To Get Certified Copy of Indian Passport

I have contacted Indian Consulate in New York. They are providing the certified copy of the passport. The following are the requirements.

Application Form for Miscellaneous Services
                              Original valid Indian passport along with photocopy of passport (2 copies). If sending by mail, the passport copies to be notarized.
                              Copy of valid visa status.
                              Copy of proof of residence in the US (either Utility Bill/driver's license copy etc.)
                              Fees $13.00 (Money order or certified check)
                              Prepaid USPS envelope for return mail
                              If coming personally, then documents can be deposited at the Consulate any working day Monday thru Friday between 9.15 and 11.30 a.m. and can be picked up the same day between 12.30 and 1.00 p.m.

I am planning to go NYC consulate next week to get certified copy for my son's passport. I will update if i get any more information.

Comment

Originally posted by vn1295 View Post
                                I have contacted Indian Consulate in New York. They are providing the certified copy of the passport. The following are the requirements.

Application Form for Miscellaneous Services
                                Original valid Indian passport along with photocopy of passport (2 copies). If sending by mail, the passport copies to be notarized.
                                Copy of valid visa status.
                                Copy of proof of residence in the US (either Utility Bill/driver's license copy etc.)
                                Fees $13.00 (Money order or certified check)
                                Prepaid USPS envelope for return mail
                                If coming personally, then documents can be deposited at the Consulate any working day Monday thru Friday between 9.15 and 11.30 a.m. and can be picked up the same day between 12.30 and 1.00 p.m.

I am planning to go NYC consulate next week to get certified copy for my son's passport. I will update if i get any more information.
                                Hi,
                                I am also trying to get a certified copy of passport, Could you please let me know if you have taken appointment for your planned visit to Indian Consulate. Also when you said photocopy of passport, is it complete passport or only 1st,last and visa pages. Also in case we are sending via mail do we need to send Birth Certificate too?
                                Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X