Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Certified Indian passport copy for ITIN (How to get it ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srinics View Post
    Hi,
    I am also trying to get a certified copy of passport, Could you please let me know if you have taken appointment for your planned visit to Indian Consulate. Also when you said photocopy of passport, is it complete passport or only 1st,last and visa pages. Also in case we are sending via mail do we need to send Birth Certificate too?
    Thanks
    No need to take an appointment before. As per the email from consulate "documents can be deposited at the Consulate any working day Monday thru Friday between 9.15 and 11.30 a.m. and can be picked up the same day between 12.30 and 1.00 p.m".
    I am not sure about whether complete passport or 1st, last and Visa pages, but I am taking all. Birth certificate also I have no idea. I am planning to go on Moday(02/18). I will update after with further details.

Comment

I successfully submitted the ITIN application for my child in NJ - Fairfield office today. Passport was returned immediately after verification. I went to the IRS office with the following items. It just took around 15 minutes.
      1. 2012 tax return
      2. filled w7 application form
      3. child's original passport
      4. copy of the passport - first and last pages, visa & I94

First I went to NJ - Parsippany office (reached around 12:30 pm), the security in that office tried to send me back saying that they have 2 people already waiting for ITIN application submission and it will take around 1 hour per person ! Not sure why he said so. He want to leave the office early on the long weekend? or he doesn't like non-americans ?...not sure.
      I had few nearby offices in my list, so just thought to try Fairfield office and all went smooth there, the people in that office were very kind, including the security.

Comment

Apply for ITIN for dependent but they are in India now

Hello,

I am having same problem. In my case my dependents are in India(moved back recently), so I dont have original document any more with me. I do have notarized copy from chase bank of dependent passport.

Could someone please advice me what to do in this case...? I dont think so they can go to indian passport office in india and get a certified copy.

Pls advice , its urgent for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Baljeet Kumar View Post
          Hello,

I am having same problem. In my case my dependents are in India(moved back recently), so I dont have original document any more with me. I do have notarized copy from chase bank of dependent passport.

Could someone please advice me what to do in this case...? I dont think so they can go to indian passport office in india and get a certified copy.

Pls advice , its urgent for me.
          Same problem. My wife has never been to US and still in India, we got married in Sept 2012. Can I do "married filing jointly" if she never has been to USA? How do i get ITIN for her since i do not have her passport. Please help. Thanks.

Comment

ITIN for child in order to file tax return

Thanks for this reply.It is really helpful.
            Can I check if we can apply for ITIN without having the Tax return. The reason I am asking this is I need the ITIN because I am asked of the same for filling Tax return itself. So not sure which process should be complete first here- the ITIN application or the tax return form?Any Pointers will be really helpful.
            Originally posted by binoca82 View Post
            I successfully submitted the ITIN application for my child in NJ - Fairfield office today. Passport was returned immediately after verification. I went to the IRS office with the following items. It just took around 15 minutes.
            1. 2012 tax return

First I went to NJ - Parsippany office (reached around 12:30 pm), the security in that office tried to send me back saying that they have 2 people already waiting for ITIN application submission and it will take around 1 hour per person ! Not sure why he said so. He want to leave the office early on the long weekend? or he doesn't like non-americans ?...not sure.
            I had few nearby offices in my list, so just thought to try Fairfield office and all went smooth there, the people in that office were very kind, including the security.

Comment

Originally posted by ruchia81 View Post
              Thanks for this reply.It is really helpful.
              Can I check if we can apply for ITIN without having the Tax return. The reason I am asking this is I need the ITIN because I am asked of the same for filling Tax return itself. So not sure which process should be complete first here- the ITIN application or the tax return form?Any Pointers will be really helpful.
              You can get ITIN only with a tax return. If you do not have ITIN, send your filled tax return and w7 form to ITIN office. When filling the tax return you can use 9XX-7X- YYYY in tax softwares and then once you printout, you can erase it with white ink and write "applied for"

Comment

1. 2012 tax return

Hi binoca82,

need your advice on my case, In my case my dependent is in India so they cant appear while filing ITIN. Do they are for physical presence for Child while applying for ITIN ..? I can get passport from India and show them as proff.

Pls advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by amjad163 View Post
                Same problem. My wife has never been to US and still in India, we got married in Sept 2012. Can I do "married filing jointly" if she never has been to USA? How do i get ITIN for her since i do not have her passport. Please help. Thanks.

Hi amjad163,

In my case, my wife was in USA but recently moved back to india. I doubt if you can claim for tax benefit for your spouse( I think so, pls cross check with some expert).

Comment

Family needs to be present in person?

Originally posted by ntneo View Post
                  Hi binoca82, I applied for ITIN successfully, thanks for your link.

Hi Ankurk,

I made a trip to Chicago to the Indian consulate and got the attested copy of the Passport. Getting the attested copy of the passport is easy, just follow the instructions on the consulate website and take 2 copies of the passport.

Later I went to the IRS office in Chicago and completed the procedure. They verified the passport and gave it back. However I also gave them attested copy of the passport just to be safe.

Hi ntneo , I am in michigan too and need to get my son's passport certified for ITIN purposes . Can I carry my son's passport to Consulate and get it certified? or does he need to be present in person ?
                  Does IRS need him in their office if the passport is certified ? or I can do it on his behalf . He is just 2 years if that matters .
                  Any information is highly appreciated . Thanks in advance .

Comment

Originally posted by Baljeet Kumar View Post
                    Hi binoca82,

need your advice on my case, In my case my dependent is in India so they cant appear while filing ITIN. Do they are for physical presence for Child while applying for ITIN ..? I can get passport from India and show them as proff.

Pls advice.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi amjad163,

In my case, my wife was in USA but recently moved back to india. I doubt if you can claim for tax benefit for your spouse( I think so, pls cross check with some expert).

Hi Baljeet , Were you able to find a way ? I do not want to take my son with me . Is his physical presence needed at indian consulate in Chicago to get his passport certified ?

Comment

Originally posted by MMSH1 View Post
                      Hi Baljeet , Were you able to find a way ? I do not want to take my son with me . Is his physical presence needed at indian consulate in Chicago to get his passport certified ?
                      Hi,

NO, I did not find a way till now.. I am still looking for some option. I am plaining to go to IRS office tomorrow.

1. If physical presence is not needed - I will have my dependent passport couriered back to me in USA and will file tax return based on that.
                      2. If physical presence is needed :- I dont know what to do. :-(.. I am also moving back to india in coming month. NOT sure we can file ITIN application while we are in India.

I will surely let you know if I got some options

Comment

Baljeet Kumar,
                        I think it is illegal to courier the passport. So don't go for that.
                        As per the ITIN instructions in the IRS site, U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas provide certification and authentication services and you can get it done there. Did you try that ?
                        If it works, your spouse can just mail them to you and you can submit with the returns.

Comment

MMSH1,
                          If you are planning to visit an IRS office to get the passport verified, you do not need a certified copy of the passport.
                          See the IRS office list here, where they verify the passports-
                          Just take your son and the original passport with you, along with the other docs.

Comment

Please drop a mail to the Indian consulate mail-id given in the website. They reply within 1 business day.
                            However as binoca82 mentioned, the IRS at Chicago will verify the passport and give it back
                            I took the certified copy as well since I had another work at consulate but its not required.

Try to be at the IRS office as early as possible.

Btw, I received my wife's ITIN in 3 weeks.

Comment

MMSH1,
                              If you are planning to visit an IRS office to get the passport verified, you do not need a certified copy of the passport.
                              See the IRS office list here, where they verify the passports- http://www.irs.gov/uac/TAC-Locations...on-is-Provided
                              Just take your son and the original passport with you, along with the other docs.
                              This link is not working. 404 Error. Maybe IRS changed the rules - again.

Comment

ITIN application docs

I too got a notice from IRS to send the original passport or the certified copy from the issuing agency.

I asked my wife to get her passport certified by the Passport office in Delhi. She did that. Today i received the courier from India. It has got a big stamp which says "Govt Of India - APOSTILLE" and in the lower half it says " Certified by Section Officer (OI) Ministry Of External Affairs.

I checked the IRS website, it says that if the county is part of "Hague Apostille Convention" then apostille is valid. India is a part of that group. I will send this document tomorrow to the IRS and wait if i get any other notice from them.

I request other members to share their experience.

Thanks!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X