Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Certified Indian passport copy for ITIN (How to get it ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read that its not advisable to send passport to IRS texas address.

I am living in louisville and nearest IRS office where I can go and have passport verified is indianapolis.

Can anyone share experience if they had there verification in indianapolis?

Comment

• Find an IRS Acceptance Agent to authenticate your passport copy. Some income tax franchise offices do ITIN authentication (for fees), as well as many IRS offices.

--Ray B

Originally posted by m2shines View Post
      I read that its not advisable to send passport to IRS texas address.

I am living in louisville and nearest IRS office where I can go and have passport verified is indianapolis.

Can anyone share experience if they had there verification in indianapolis?

Comment

• Certified Indian Passport copy getting from INDIA

Hi All,

I was in US during 2013 then moved back to INDIA(2014) , I need to file TAX for 2013 along with my spouse and kid (Born in INDIA on july 2013 and never been to US) ,For getting ITIN for my KID, I have to send certified Indian passport copy along with W7 to IRS.How and where to get this document in INDIA ?,I am staying in chennai. I have been seeing through this thread that lot of rejection from IRS for ITIN for various reasons.Any suggestion to avoid those in first attempts itself. Please advice

Comment

• Originally posted by raj33221 View Post
          Hi,

Iam also in the same situation.

My wife is in India and we want to get a certified passport copy for ITIN in USA.

Kindly share the procedure/forms asap.

Thanks,
          Rajesh
          I was in same situation and i had to send a certified copy of my wife passport to get ITIN.
          I was able to get ITIN for my wife after sending certified copy of the passport.

In the IRS webiste ,it is mentioned that the passport has to be certified by the same office which issued it.
          We went to the regional passport office of my location (not the passport seva kendra) , and asked to attest the passport by
          giving a written application form, the regional passport issuing officer attested the photocopy of passport with his seal which shows 'pass port granting officer,Regional Passport Office'. I got front,back and visa page of my wife passport attested.
          I sent the below documents to IRS office address (Internal Revenue Service, ITIN Operation, P.O. Box 149342, Austin, TX 78714-9342).
          1. Attested copy of the passport(front,back and VISA page) - VISA page is not mandatory it seems, but i sent it to be on safer side
          2. W2
          3. W7
          4. 1040 (whichever form applicable to you)

I had sent these documents via post office 'Speed post' option.The ITIN came approximatly 5 weeks after i sent the documents.
          I filled the tax via a consultant 'valuestax.com' as it involved ITIN application etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by shijuthomas View Post

In the IRS webiste ,it is mentioned that the passport has to be certified by the same office which issued it.
            We went to the regional passport office of my location (not the passport seva kendra) , and asked to attest the passport by
            giving a written application form, the regional passport issuing officer attested the photocopy of passport with his seal which shows 'pass port granting officer,Regional Passport Office'. I got front,back and visa page of my wife passport attested.
            Hi shijuthomas,

We need appointment to visit RPO, RPO thane office is not ready to give appointment for attestation. I am not sure if attestation/apostille from VFS will work ?
            appreciate if someone share experience to get these copies for mumbai location.

Regards,
            Nitin

Comment

• W7 Rejected - What next?

Hi, I filed for W7 and Tax returns in march and today got a notice saying that my W7 is rejected.

3/14 - Filled W7 and 1040 in Chicago IRS Office
              4/7 - Received letter that need additional documents
              4/8 - Submitted copy of passport in Springfield IRS Office
              4/28 - Received letter that ITIN is rejected because of another W7 in progress
              4/29 - called IRS Help desk and they said that W7 is rejected because they cannot authenticate passport.

Has anybody faced this issue before? What should i do next??

Comment

• Few questions about getting certified Indian Passport

Hi Folks,

I want to get the certified copies of passports of my in-laws to get their ITIN. Just wanted to make sure if below checklist is okay and please clear my questions below -

- Application Form for Miscellaneous Services
                - This form doesn't have the box to check for 'certified copy'. Which one should be selected?
                - Should I fill the form separately for mother-in-law and father-in-law?

- Original valid Indian passport along with photocopy of passport (2 copies).

- Copy of valid visa status.

- Copy of proof of residence in the US (either Utility Bill/driver's license copy etc.)
                - I assume my US driver's license is okay. Please confirm.

- Fees $13.00 (Money order or certified check)
                - I assume $13.00 for one certified copy. Is that right?

- Submit the form personally @ 3 East, 64th Street, New York, NY 10065 between 9:15 - 11:30 AM. And collect it between 12:30 and 1:00 PM.

-Kartlee

Comment

• Do I need to take my Child to consulate to get her passport attestation?

Hi All,

I need to submit an attested passport copy of my daughter( Minor -2 and half years old) to IRS, It would be difficult for me to take her to Indian consulate in NY.
                  Is it mandatory to take her to Indian consulate to get her passport attested ? or does consulate accepts if I(her father) go alone to consulate with her original passport for attestation ?

I could not find any info in consulate site and I tried to reach out to their no#, no one is lifting the call.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
                  Srini.

Comment

• Here is my experience when applied for ITINs for both of my daughters(June, 2014)

I live in Salt Lake city area, for the last 18 months. My poor knowledge on tax returns. I filed my returns through online, and i was not aware that we can get benefit tax returns when we declare children as dependants during Filinig... Anyhow, realized late, and wanted to amendment including our children(6 yrs and 2 yrs old). I am on L1B and my visa expired durig April. My I94 valid for another 2 more yrs, and passports have validatiy for another 5 yrs for all 4 of us.

1. Approached H&R Block tax consultants. Explained the situation. He assured that Visa is not a concern, and all they they will be intrested is I94(if at all they want to look that level of details. Other wise passport details are the only one they are intersted.
                    2. On June 12th, went to H&R Block in American fork office, and they helped in preparing the ITIN application and the amendment for Federal and State. Out of 3 H&R blocks i enquired there is only one resource who is certified for ITINs processing. In fact, the person who validated passports and prepared the applicatoin, has mentioned his registration number, name, and contact details.
                    3. I was busy and was able to manage to go to IRS office only on 25th June, one located in Salt Lake City. (there is on in Provo, which is 3 miles away for me, but they said, they can't verify the passports, and have to send to Austin, so i decided to go to SLC office). Need to take children along with spouse. Otherwise, they will not allow the verification process.
                    4. It is just 10 mins work there, and they verified the passports, took copies of it, and took signatures. They said that it will take 6 weeks for getting the ITIN(if at all there are no queries from Austin), and upto a total of 16 weeks to get the tax returns.
                    5. July 11th,(exactly after 12 working days) got the ITIN numbers for both of my applicatoins. Now, waiting for the refund amount.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• [QUOTE=chirag14k;292569]All Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) applicants, including children, must appear in person at the time the Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is submitted to have their passport and/or national identification card returned the same day.

This office will review and certify original passports and national identification cards only.

All other original documentation and copies of documentation certified by issuing agencies will be forwarded with the Form W-7 application to the IRS ITIN Office.

This service begins January 31, 2013

Even after following the above I received a mail from Texas office to send the original passport for verification for my kid. Did anyone happen to send the original passport in case you had faced the same situation? I am apprehensive of mailing it to the texas office.

Comment

• Certified copies of passport

I applied for ITIN a few months back and after many hiccups I received the Notice CP566 asking me for the original or certified copies of documents. Please, anyone with experience, let me know how to obtain the certified copies of passport from the Indian consulate in SFO. In the miscellaneous services application, I don't see the option for obtaining certified copies. Please tell me the exact procedure.

I have been trying calling the consulate but they never answer the call in the time slot 2pm to 4pm reserved for miscellaneous services queries.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by kartlee View Post
                        Hi Folks,

I want to get the certified copies of passports of my in-laws to get their ITIN. Just wanted to make sure if below checklist is okay and please clear my questions below -

- Application Form for Miscellaneous Services
                        - This form doesn't have the box to check for 'certified copy'. Which one should be selected?
                        - Should I fill the form separately for mother-in-law and father-in-law?

- Original valid Indian passport along with photocopy of passport (2 copies).

- Copy of valid visa status.

- Copy of proof of residence in the US (either Utility Bill/driver's license copy etc.)
                        - I assume my US driver's license is okay. Please confirm.

- Fees $13.00 (Money order or certified check)
                        - I assume $13.00 for one certified copy. Is that right?

- Submit the form personally @ 3 East, 64th Street, New York, NY 10065 between 9:15 - 11:30 AM. And collect it between 12:30 and 1:00 PM.

-Kartlee
                        Kartlee, did you get the answers to your questions? I have the same queries.

Comment

• Who needs to fill the form

Originally posted by vn1295 View Post
                          I have contacted Indian Consulate in New York. They are providing the certified copy of the passport. The following are the requirements.

Application Form for Miscellaneous Services
                          Original valid Indian passport along with photocopy of passport (2 copies). If sending by mail, the passport copies to be notarized.
                          Copy of valid visa status.
                          Copy of proof of residence in the US (either Utility Bill/driver's license copy etc.)
                          Fees $13.00 (Money order or certified check)
                          Prepaid USPS envelope for return mail
                          If coming personally, then documents can be deposited at the Consulate any working day Monday thru Friday between 9.15 and 11.30 a.m. and can be picked up the same day between 12.30 and 1.00 p.m.

I am planning to go NYC consulate next week to get certified copy for my son's passport. I will update if i get any more information.

Hi,

Could you please also confirm who should fill the form. If i need to get the certified copies of my wife's and daughters passport, will it be my wife filling the form and need to paste her photograph. Or is it going to be me filling the form with my details. And also what about the daughters form.

Comment

• Who needs to fill miscelleneous form

Originally posted by lakshmiram View Post
                            Hi All,
                            I would like to share my experience on the ITIN application. This thread might be helpful for those who dont have an IRS Key Taxpayer Assistance Center nearby or neither can go to the embassy in person.

I'm currently in H4 and to file joint return i need to apply for ITIN.
                            Since IRS no more accepts notarized copies of passport we have to either send the original passport or certified copy.

The Chicago embassy certifies passport copy without even sending them any originals. You need to send,
                            1. A filled copy of the miscelleneous application form (available in the embassy website)
                            2. Two notarized copies of the running pages of the passport along with the VISA and I94 page
                            3. Notarized copy of H4 extension copy with I94 in case VISA expired
                            4. Notarized copy of Address proof such as License or utility bills
                            5. Money order/cashier check for $13 per 1 passport certification
                            6. A return prepaid envelope or $20 for sending back the certified passport copy.
                            More details and application form available in their website

It just took me a week to get the certified copy of the passport. 3 days for my mail to reach them, 1 day for certification and 3 days for the return mail to reach me!!!

For the ITIN,
                            1. W7 form filled
                            2. Certified passport copy including VISA and I94 page
                            3. Notarized copy of H4 extension copy with I94 in case VISA expired
                            4. W2 Return

We went to the IRS directly and they verified the documents and accepted the return (on Mar 3rd). In a week I got a notice (dated mar 8) from IRS that my ITIN application received and they are returning the original documents. They returned the certified passport copy.

The next week I got my my ITIN (Dated Mar 15) in mail. It just took 2 weeks for IRS to send me my ITIN and without sending my original passport.
                            Also this is the case with Chicago embassy. So pls check with other embassies if they accept notarized passport copies for certification.

Hope this thread may be helpful

Hi,

Could you please also confirm who should fill the form. If i need to get the certified copies of my wife's and daughters passport, will it be my wife filling the form and need to paste her photograph. Or is it going to be me filling the form with my details. And also what about the daughters form.
                            Last edited by Shailabh Sharma; 11-19-2015, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• Who needs to fill miscelleneous form

Originally posted by k82 View Post
                              Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share my experience with you all, I had been following this forum closely and running pillar to post to get my ITIN done. Finally received the ITIN's today so wanted to share my experience. I want to make this little elaborate as in future people can get to the process easily.

Feb 25: Went to Rhode Island (I live here) IRS office to file tax return with W7 form, they wanted original passport, they suggested I go to nearest NJ office as in-person verification is available, and so I can retain my original passports.

Mar 1: Travelled to NJ and filed my Tax along with W7. In person verification of passport was done. ( Thought everything was ok, but its was a mistake)

Apr 1: Received ITIN rejection notice for wife and kid, stating original or certified copied are required. (I never knew and should have provided certified copies on Mar1st itself)

Apr 10: After scrambling for a while thinking what's best to do, visited consulate general of india NY website. I did not want to travel to NY again.
                              Downloaded Miscellaneous services form to get certified/attested passport copies
                              took money order total 48$= 13$ (each passport) + 13$ (each passport) + 22$ (for return mailer)
                              attached 2 copies of passport of wife and kid with the visa pages. These pages should be notarized before you send to indian consulate.
                              finally sent the original passports of wife and kid
                              did a overnight fedex -> make sure you do it in weekdays, better it does not get returned in weekend.
                              then started the curious wait as I had sent the original passports.

Apr 19: Received back the original passports with the certified copies from indian consulate.

Apr 24: FedEx the certified copies along with the original birth certificate of child to IRS. The IRS address will be in the ITIN rejection letter.
                              then started the wait again...

June 8: Received ITIN # of wife and kid through post, no rejection this time .

Although I am yet to get the refund, I am happy at least one big process is over after agonizing 4 months. I don't want others to suffer in this process in future, I already spend nearly 500$ in tax filing, fedex, money orders and travelling...

Thanks
                              Krish

Hi,

Last edited by Shailabh Sharma; 11-19-2015, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• to get indian passport certified in india for ITIN

you can get indian passport certified if you are in india, from any Ministry Of External Affairs in india. One address i know in chennai is below.

45/20, College Rd, Thousand Lights West, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600006, India.

You have to carry your original passport with a b&w copy of first & last page in same page. Normally they are open till 1PM, so if you go in morning you can get the certified copy in evening.

This can be used for ITIN and IRS accepts this you can send this along with the filled form and you receive this with ITIN.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X