Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Certified Indian passport copy for ITIN (How to get it ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certified Indian passport copy for ITIN (How to get it ?)

Hi folks,

We'll be shortly moving to CA, and in order to be eligible for tax exemption available on dependents,I'd be applying for ITIN for my child.
    However I came to know that the recent changes in the ITIN application process mandates submitting the passport either in original or in the
    form of a certified copy
    The original passport could then be retained for sometime. As you can now guess, I'd choose not to submit any original
    document. But I also don't know how to procure a certified copy of the passport.

Do you have any pointers? Can this be obtained from the Indian embassy in the US?

-thanks

Need to know the procedure/forms to fill to get certified passport copy for ITIN

Hi,

Iam also in the same situation.

My wife is in India and we want to get a certified passport copy for ITIN in USA.

Kindly share the procedure/forms asap.

Thanks,
    Rajesh

Comment

Originally posted by santoshb View Post
      Hi folks,

We'll be shortly moving to CA, and in order to be eligible for tax exemption available on dependents,I'd be applying for ITIN for my child.
      However I came to know that the recent changes in the ITIN application process mandates submitting the passport either in original or in the
      form of a certified copy
      The original passport could then be retained for sometime. As you can now guess, I'd choose not to submit any original
      document. But I also don't know how to procure a certified copy of the passport.

Do you have any pointers? Can this be obtained from the Indian embassy in the US?

-thanks
      Hi Santosh,

Did you get answer to your above question? i also need to apply ITIN for my son but my tax consultant told that even certified copies from consulate are also getting rejected as there does not seem to be any provision of certified copy for passport? i believe only option is to send the original passport with certified mail with return receipt for safety purpose.

Regards
      Rajesh

Comment

Find a notary nearby and get a certified copy of the data page of passport from them.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

IRS has specifically mentioned that notarized copies are not accepted anymore so going to a notary won't work anymore.

Comment

That's too bad, why do you need it? Because from what I understand ITIN application has to accompany a return and this is not a return filing season.
            This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

I'm in the same boat too. infact, my wife's application for ITIN was rejected since I submitted a notarized copy of the passport. I called IRS and they said the embassy should be able to certify the passport.

I have not done it yet.

Comment

Anyone got certify copy of passport?
                If so, please let us know the process and procedures.

Do we need to get the visa page certified too. Pls advise.

I am yet to get my son's passport certified.
                Appreciate if you can help on this regards.

Comment

Does anyone got certified Passport from Washington DC

I already got rejection from IRS for my wife's ITIN, because of notarized passport.

Can some please tell, at what time we need to go to embassy.
                  what are the requirements?

any suggestions/ help will really appreciable.

Thanks,

Comment

Procedure to get certified passport copy

We have to obtain the certified copy of the passport from Indian Consulate serving the state. I am staying in Texas. So, I need to apply for certified copy of passport from CGI (Consulate General of India) Houston.

For those Indians staying in Arkansas Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas:
                    Look for MISCELLANEOUS SERVICES. Fill the form and provide passport size photograph and copy of the passport. There is some charge involved in this. I am going to apply for certified passport copy for my wife next week. I will then post the complete procedure after applying certified copy.

For those Indians living in other states in US, please find your Indian consulate in https://www.immihelp.com/indian-emba...ulates-in-usa/.

Regards
                    Anand VG
                    Last edited by Anand Vg; 01-01-2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Hi Anand,

Did you find out the process?

Thanks
                      Guru

Comment

Certied Copy

I checked in Indian Embassy New York Website. I found only option to get attestation only. I didn't find anything to get certified copy in miscellaneous service.

Please let me know if anyone get certified copy of the passport.

Regards
                        Nataraj

Comment

I am also in the process of applying ITIN for my wife.
                          The following is mentioned in the W7 instructions:
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          In person. You can apply for an ITIN by bringing your
                          completed forms and documentation to any IRS Taxpayer
                          Assistance Center in the United States or IRS office abroad.
                          Designated IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers will be able to
                          verity passports and National ID documents and return them
                          immediately.
                          Information on our overseas offices can be found in
                          Pub. 1915 or at IRS.gov.

Through acceptance agent. You also can apply through an
                          acceptance agent authorized by the IRS. An acceptance agent
                          can help you complete and file Form W-7. To get a list of agents,
                          visit IRS.gov and enter “acceptance agent program” in the
                          search box at the top of the page.
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But when I visited the IRS office to submit in person, the official rejected the request
                          and still asked for original passport or certified copy to be sent via mail to the IRS office in Texas

And on the second option, some HR block agents are listed at acceptance agent, but they also
                          confirmed that IRS will not accept their authorization.

So basically the instructions in W7 are not valid.
                          Hence the only option is to visit the Indian consulate to get the certified copy.
                          Since the consulate website mentions only about attestation, hope IRS accepts the attested copy as certified copy.

Do anyone else have suggestion of which other documents can be sent?

Comment

ntneo,
                            Can you confirm whether you visited one of the IRS offices ?

I am staying in PA, there is no office given in PA in this link, so I was planning to take one day leave and drive to an NJ office nearby.
                            I do not want to mail the passports, so just wanted to know whether it is worth to go in person.

Comment

Hi binoca82,
                              Thanks for this link. I am in Michigan which does not have any offices for the document verification.
                              My tax consultant sent me to the Detroit IRS(not in the above list) where it was not accepted. Now I understand why.

Please reply if you are able to complete this in NJ.
                              Nearest IRS office for document verification to me is in Chicago, so I would have to plan a trip there.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X