Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information provided. Please use at your own risk. Do not post anything you don't want publicly visible.

Track greencard/visa apps
Immihelp Tracker
Help Others
Share Experiences
Instant Quotes & Purchase
Visitor Medical Insurance
Find
Travel Companion
Download Mobile Apps:   iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch App    Android App

Question How to re-enter USA, My "Green card" has no expiration date?

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. My green card was issued in 1978, at the point when there was no expiration date placed on them. I came back to my home country in 1980's and now after nearly 32 years, I want to come back to USA . Kindly tell me how to enter in USA and how to apply for my new permanent resident card. I have few questions. Kindly answer them.

1) Can I enter to USA with my existing green card and then apply for a new permanent resident card by filing Form I-90, along with the filing and biometric fees.?

2) If not, Should I have to come on Visit visa first and then apply for my new permanent resident card ?

3) Would I be able to e-file (online)?

4) What is the correct and complete procedure to re-enter USA in my situation ?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by peace9 View Post
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. My green card was issued in 1978, at the point when there was no expiration date placed on them. I came back to my home country in 1980's and now after nearly 32 years, I want to come back to USA . Kindly tell me how to enter in USA and how to apply for my new permanent resident card. I have few questions. Kindly answer them.

1) Can I enter to USA with my existing green card and then apply for a new permanent resident card by filing Form I-90, along with the filing and biometric fees.?

2) If not, Should I have to come on Visit visa first and then apply for my new permanent resident card ?

3) Would I be able to e-file (online)?

4) What is the correct and complete procedure to re-enter USA in my situation ?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.
    You left the country 32 years ago. You haven't been a resident for (at least) 31 years. The fact that the card itself has no expiration date doesn't have anything to do with the fact that you abandoned your status as a resident.

You will need to apply again for an immigrant visa - from scratch - either family based or employment based.

I think my green card is still valid because it doesn't have an expiry date. I just want to know the right procedure.

I think my green card is still valid because it doesn't have an expiry date. I just want to know the right procedure.
    The validity of the card has nothing to do with keeping status. In other words: Mr Peace10 becomes a legal permanent resident on September 1st, 2012. He's given a card which is valid for 10 years - he has to renew the card on September 1st, 2022. Even if he DOES NOT renew the card, as long as he remains in the US (or leaves for short periods of time), he's still a permanent resident.

But was Mr Peace10 to leave the US to go to his country on September 2nd, 2012 - and return on September 2nd, 2044 - he's been gone for 32 years. He hasn't maintained a residence for 30+ years - hasn't lived in the US, worked in the US, paid taxes in the US.

So - even if your card has no expiration date, you haven't maintained your PR status. For all intent and purposes, you stopped being an LPR about 30 years ago. Go to http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/retain-greencard.html and read the section "Maintaining Permanent Residence".

@ mickey_mouse

I lived in the US for like 10 years, I Worked in the US, and I did paid taxes in the US.

@ ALL

Everyone is giving me negative answers and demotivating me. I want to know the correct procedure to renew my green card and to enter US. Earlier reply will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

@ mickey_mouse

I lived in the US for like 10 years, I Worked in the US, and I did paid taxes in the US.
    Yes - you *did*. But you haven't done so for 32 years. Did you even read the information at the link I've provided you with ?

@ ALL

Everyone is giving me negative answers and demotivating me. I want to know the correct procedure to renew my green card and to enter US. Earlier reply will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
    You really don't want to understand, right? You asked this same question in another immigration site, and you're getting the same answers over there - you just don't listen. Your LPR status expired at least 30 years ago. You're not an LPR - you *were* an LPR.