Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to re-enter USA, My "Green card" has no expiration date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I wanna get this clear ??

so if I have a visa with no expiration date and travel to Mexico for a family emergency and want to come back in will I have a problem getting back in to the US ?? I have no time to try and get a new one or anything like that I just wanna know if I can get back in like I left and then worry about that wen I'm here

Comment

Please clarify your question. Are you asking about a visa or a Green Card?

--Ray B

Originally posted by Crystal1882 View Post
      so if I have a visa with no expiration date and travel to Mexico for a family emergency and want to come back in will I have a problem getting back in to the US ?? I have no time to try and get a new one or anything like that I just wanna know if I can get back in like I left and then worry about that wen I'm here

Comment

Advice required

Originally posted by Trottwood View Post
        Sorry to bring this old thread

I just want to clarify that Green Cards with no expiration dates are valid, I am one living proof who abandoned her green card 30 years ago and got mines renewed after 6 months. I went NY from UK with visa waiver and ended up marrying yay!. My husband applied for AOS but before he did that I went to several lawyers to ask them if I could renew my abandoned green card and they all gave me the red flag. Exactly the same replies on this thread. So my husband applies for a spouse visa and a letter comes home they denied his petition!, on the grounds, "You are already a permanent resident in the United States". I visited an immigration officer and he told me that USCIS are actually encouraging travelers to come forward to renew their outstanding permanent resident cards without expiration dates, due to critical national security, and that cards issued between 1977 to 1989 are still recognized and valid by USCIS. I received my new green card stating my residence since 1987 and it is valid for 10 years. Not only that, my parents and siblings in the UK also were in the predicament that their green cards are invalid, after my luck, we asked an immigration officer how would they go about renewing their green cards from the UK, we were advised the SB1 route, which was successful and all my family have now fresh green cards.

Thank you.
        Thank you for replying to this chain. i know it's been 3 years since you last posted, but I hope you can give me your advice.

I too have a GC with no expiration date. Over the last 30 years I have been coming in and out of the US with a tourist visa, which we got 2 years after we THOUGHT we lost the LPR status, and has been renewed a couple of times now. I came back to the US a few of months ago since i got job offer and I used the tourist visa to enter, but I did all the job paperwork with the GC once I was in the US. So far, I've had no issues. But i am afraid that if I try to renew it, or try to enter with this GC they will take it away. You think I can renew it since I am inside the US now? any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by pocoyo_txm View Post
          Thank you for replying to this chain. i know it's been 3 years since you last posted, but I hope you can give me your advice.

I too have a GC with no expiration date. Over the last 30 years I have been coming in and out of the US with a tourist visa, which we got 2 years after we THOUGHT we lost the LPR status, and has been renewed a couple of times now. I came back to the US a few of months ago since i got job offer and I used the tourist visa to enter, but I did all the job paperwork with the GC once I was in the US. So far, I've had no issues. But i am afraid that if I try to renew it, or try to enter with this GC they will take it away. You think I can renew it since I am inside the US now? any thoughts?
          How about if you register for an account here https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/ and see what comes up? This is also the account you would use to renew your green card. I would just try to renew it.
          OR you could also apply for citizenship if you can meet the residency requirement and see what happens.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X