Recent experience of Kids OCI re-issue due to new passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samkan View Post
    I have my daughter's American passport renewed. The old passport has the OCI sticker. Do I need to renew the OCI Card also? Anyone travellled recently in this situation? I am travelling in 2 days and appreciate if any one could provide info.

Please let me know if you were able to travel with your daughter's New US Passport that did not contain the OCI "U-Visa" Sticker. I am on the same boat and need to know - I do have my daughter's Old US Passport with "OCI U Visa Sticker", an OCI Card, and New US Passport without any stickers in it.

Comment

Has anyone got any recent experience travelling with Minor with OCI on Old passport. I am planning to Mumbai in 3 weeks and I am dreading the moment. My daughter has OCI in her old passport and her new passport only arrived last week and I have less time to transfer it to do the transfer. VFS said she can apply for emergency tourist visa with the additional letter saying that you didn't have time to transfer the OCI and write a convincing answer to the embassy why it is an emergency and it is at their discretion I may or may not be granted a visa. I am bit shocked to know that there is no alternative.Can kindly post their recent experience, if they faced any issues going with you minor kid with OCI on old passport.

Comment

Originally posted by nrirev View Post
        Has anyone got any recent experience travelling with Minor with OCI on Old passport. I am planning to Mumbai in 3 weeks and I am dreading the moment. My daughter has OCI in her old passport and her new passport only arrived last week and I have less time to transfer it to do the transfer. VFS said she can apply for emergency tourist visa with the additional letter saying that you didn't have time to transfer the OCI and write a convincing answer to the embassy why it is an emergency and it is at their discretion I may or may not be granted a visa. I am bit shocked to know that there is no alternative.Can kindly post their recent experience, if they faced any issues going with you minor kid with OCI on old passport.
        One should avoid getting OCI for kid till they turn 20 years in age due to this confusing requirements to update you OCI card every 5 years.

Cost of original OCI - $400 approx
        Cost to renew every 5 years $400 Approx ($100 X 4) this includes $50 in shipping fees alone
        Total cost = $800 or more
        PLUS the sleepness nights you go through till you get your US passport back in your hand

Tourist Visa 10 years = $160 + shipping fees = $200
        Total cost in 20 years = 2 X $200 = $400

Savings of $400 easy

Comment

Originally posted by SamIam1 View Post
          One should avoid getting OCI for kid till they turn 20 years in age due to this confusing requirements to update you OCI card every 5 years.

Cost of original OCI - $400 approx
          Cost to renew every 5 years $400 Approx ($100 X 4) this includes $50 in shipping fees alone
          Total cost = $800 or more
          PLUS the sleepness nights you go through till you get your US passport back in your hand

Tourist Visa 10 years = $160 + shipping fees = $200
          Total cost in 20 years = 2 X $200 = $400

Savings of $400 easy

Unless I am mistaken, I think the cost of OCI reissue is $25. But I agree this rule of OCI reissue before 20 years is confusing. Does not say clearly what is the cut off, is it the 20th birthday or 21st birthday? What happens if a person gets a new passport just after 20th birthday?

Comment

Originally posted by tp2016 View Post
            Unless I am mistaken, I think the cost of OCI reissue is $25. But I agree this rule of OCI reissue before 20 years is confusing. Does not say clearly what is the cut off, is it the 20th birthday or 21st birthday? What happens if a person gets a new passport just after 20th birthday?
            OCI Fees $25.00
            ICWF Fees $3.00
            CKGS Fees $17.00
            dOC MAIL $15.00
            Orig.Passport back $15.00
            Match up send $15.00
            Receive back $15.00

Total = $105.00 Exact

Comment

OCI Fees $25.00
              ICWF Fees $3.00
              CKGS Fees $17.00
              dOC MAIL $15.00
              Orig.Passport back $15.00
              Match up send $15.00
              Receive back $15.00

Total = $105.00 Exact
              Add the cost of notary fees $$$ as well (requires almost all documents to be notarized which is crazy!!)

Comment

Originally posted by milli View Post
                Add the cost of notary fees $$$ as well (requires almost all documents to be notarized which is crazy!!)
                payment correction:

OCI reissue: $25
                service fee:$17
                ICWF: 3
                courier: $15
                totally payment enclose to application is $60.

submission courier is upon your selection do I can't and shouldn't calculate to the expense. If submit to San Francisco center no notary is required for adults, if for minor only parental authorization for minor to be notarized, and do not send physical current passport or parents' passport for verification, only U-visa passport and OCI card to send

Comment

Originally posted by proonindiandoc View Post
                  payment correction:

OCI reissue: $25
                  service fee:$17
                  ICWF: 3
                  courier: $15
                  totally payment enclose to application is $60.

submission courier is upon your selection do I can't and shouldn't calculate to the expense. If submit to San Francisco center no notary is required for adults, if for minor only parental authorization for minor to be notarized, and do not send physical current passport or parents' passport for verification, only U-visa passport and OCI card to send
                  $15 courier fees is incorrect (For most US NRI'S)

Now you need to send your NEW/OLD Original US passport with your application Which they send it back in 2 weeks ( $15)
                  At Match up again you send your original passport again and to receive it back ($15)
                  You are also not counting fees for sending your passport TWICE and if you follow their guidelines ($15 + $15)
                  If you even send it by USPS Priority signature mail it will cost you $10 (2 time)
                  So courier fees using their courier $15,15,15,15 = $60
                  if you send by USPS $5,15,5,15 = $40
                  You are much better of spending extra $20 using their courier
                  Last edited by SamIam1; 03-11-2016, 12:28 PM.

Comment

$15 courier fees is incorrect

Now you need to send your NEW/OLD Original US passport with your application Which they send it back in 2 weeks ( $15)
                    At Match up again you send your original passport again and to receive it back ($15)
                    You are also not counting fees for sending your passport TWICE and if you follow their guidelines ($15 + $15)
                    If you even send it by USPS Priority signature mail it will cost you $10 (2 time)
                    So courier fees using their courier $15,15,15,15 = $60
                    if you send by USPS $5,15,5,15 = $40
                    You are much better of spending extra $20 using their courier
                    no physical passport to return separate, my break down of cost is correct, outbound from applicant is not mandatory to use ckgs courier unless do so. only sending the physical last held passport with U-visa and OCI for misc. unless applicant is sending to other jurisdictions than San Francisco, but they can choose another courier, you can't force them again to choose ckgs courier.

Comment

For anyone looking for information with regards to getting OCI re-issued on the child's new passport, here is the link to Bureau of Immigration, Govt of India, you are allowed entry as long as you are carrying the old cancelled passport that had the visa type "U" for LIFELONG

"
                      Overseas Citizen Of India (OCI) :-
                      Passengers who are carrying old cancelled passports having Life Long Indian "U" Visa Sticker affixed on it along with new passport are allowed entry into India.
                      Even if the OCI card holder acquires nationality of a different country, except that of Pakistan and Bangladesh, he/she is also allowed entry into India provided he/she is carrying his/her old passport having Life Long Indian "U" Visa sticker pasted on it along with the new passport of the recently acquired nationality.
                      "

Comment

Originally posted by rareddy View Post
                        For anyone looking for information with regards to getting OCI re-issued on the child's new passport, here is the link to Bureau of Immigration, Govt of India, you are allowed entry as long as you are carrying the old cancelled passport that had the visa type "U" for LIFELONG

"
                        Overseas Citizen Of India (OCI) :-
                        Passengers who are carrying old cancelled passports having Life Long Indian "U" Visa Sticker affixed on it along with new passport are allowed entry into India.
                        Even if the OCI card holder acquires nationality of a different country, except that of Pakistan and Bangladesh, he/she is also allowed entry into India provided he/she is carrying his/her old passport having Life Long Indian "U" Visa sticker pasted on it along with the new passport of the recently acquired nationality.
                        "
                        no worry just travel with 3 ppts

Comment

Has anyone done this after January 2016?

Originally posted by proonindiandoc View Post
                          no worry just travel with 3 ppts
                          As per the CKGS website https://www.in.ckgs.us/oci/oci-categories.shtml, as of January 2016 there is an age stipulation to the provision of entry with three documents (old passport with U visa sticker, new passport and OCI card). With this new policy in effect, unless you renew your US passport between the age of 20 and 49 years, you MUST get your OCI cards reissued. Although, I am sincerely hoping that I am wrong.

As per the Indian Govt website we are required to have OCI card reissued unless our US passport is renewed between the age of 20 and 49:

Also, the Consulate General of India, Washington, DC has officially posted this travel advisory:

It’s 2021, and it’s time to make some changes. From now on, Indianembassy.org will run under a new name: UKMoney.net. You will find the latest news and honest online broker reviews. Go to the UKMoney.net homepage.  

They have got us chained, guys!

World's biggest democracy = World's worst bureaucracy (why do we have to go through the same tedious and pathetically painful application process as if we are applying for a brand new OCI card!!)
                          Last edited by jvnanavaty; 06-29-2016, 12:16 PM. Reason: Sentence structure and additional info

Comment

OCI card holders versus 10 year tourist visa holders!

Originally posted by milli View Post
                            I would like to add a very important piece of information that will make your jaw drop!

Please see this policy for tourist visa, as stated on the official website URL below:

"The Validity of an Existing Tourist Visa does not expire if a Visa holder acquires a New passport (if old passport has expired or is damaged), as long as his / her personal particulars (Name has remained the same and nationality of the holder has not changed.) The visa holder can travel carrying their old passport with a valid Indian Tourist Visa along with new passport."

ckgs.us is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ckgs.us has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

So, that means the OCI card/visa holders are being penalized for opting for a premium choice visa for which we paid 3 times more than the tourist visa fees. Not to mention, so much for being of the Indian origin, having the so called status of "Overseas Citizens of India" while we are being treated worse than those who would only have a 10 year tourist visa and a lot of them are not even of the Indian origin.

Personal example: My children and I have our OCI visa issued less than 10 years ago, and yet all of us are being forced to reapply all over again (despite having lifetime validity endorsed on our OCI card and visa in the passport) just because we are only renewing our US passports and that too with no change in our names. We too should be allowed to have the same luxury as a tourist visa holder has ("The visa holder can travel carrying their old passport with a valid Indian Tourist Visa along with new passport.")

My point is that the new policy for OCI visa/card holders is illogical, discriminatory, inconsistent, counter-productive and therefore unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by jvnanavaty View Post
                              As per the CKGS website https://www.in.ckgs.us/oci/oci-categories.shtml, as of January 2016 there is an age stipulation to the provision of entry with three documents (old passport with U visa sticker, new passport and OCI card). With this new policy in effect, unless you renew your US passport between the age of 20 and 49 years, you MUST get your OCI cards reissued. Although, I am sincerely hoping that I am wrong.

As per the Indian Govt website we are required to have OCI card reissued unless our US passport is renewed between the age of 20 and 49:

Also, the Consulate General of India, Washington, DC has officially posted this travel advisory:

It’s 2021, and it’s time to make some changes. From now on, Indianembassy.org will run under a new name: UKMoney.net. You will find the latest news and honest online broker reviews. Go to the UKMoney.net homepage.  

They have got us chained, guys!

World's biggest democracy = World's worst bureaucracy (why do we have to go through the same tedious and pathetically painful application process as if we are applying for a brand new OCI card!!)
                              This is not new... Even for PIO same info was there. However there is no need to endorsement once new passport is issues. If name changes are not there then we can carry old and new passports along with old PIO/OCI cards.

Comment

Originally posted by sunrag1 View Post
                                This is not new... Even for PIO same info was there. However there is no need to endorsement once new passport is issues. If name changes are not there then we can carry old and new passports along with old PIO/OCI cards.
                                What is the guarantee that the immigration officer in India will not go by what you are stating? My kids' pictures look different than their current US passport (renewed) as compared to their OCI visa on the old passport and on the actual OCI card, but same names, so do they ignore the pictures at the Indian airports?

Jaydeep

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X