No announcement yet.

Recent experience of Kids OCI re-issue due to new passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like there are instructions available on the web to carry out the procedure.

The process looks different than what is posted as first post of this thread.
    Now the process is two-fold.
    1) First you send the application with fees
    2) Once that's approved, you send the old & new passports for restamping

But I still have some questions:
    1. What all information needs to be filled on the application form?
    2. For a minor kid, who should sign the form? Is fingerprint required for minor kid?
    3. Has anyone done the OCI transfer process recently at SFO? How was the experience?
    4. Can we do the second part (restamping on new passport) in-person instead of sending the passports by mail.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

pb74 - I will be sending my application (for my 5 year son) the coming weekend to CKGS SF. So lets stay in touch on this forum to get through this.... Disclaimer: Most of my responses are based on what I have researched thus far, so please take it for what its worth.

Originally posted by pb74 View Post
      2) Once that's approved, you send the old & new passports for restamping
      The CKGS site says that old passport is to be sent with the original application. So I am thinking of following that to be safe.

But I still have some questions:
      1. What all information needs to be filled on the application form?
      Not sure what specific areas you are asking about.

2. For a minor kid, who should sign the form? Is fingerprint required for minor kid?
      Based on the CKGS site, if the minor is 5 years, he/she should sign the OCI Registration form from online India site. Less than 5 you can use fingerprint. Above, 5 you can still use fingerprint if the minor has a medical problem and cannot write. For minor, parents still need to sign and notarize.

3. Has anyone done the OCI transfer process recently at SFO? How was the experience?
      4. Can we do the second part (restamping on new passport) in-person instead of sending the passports by mail.
      Cant comment on either one. I am in UT and so will be using courier for all aspects.

Thanks,
      Jake.

Comment

Hey Jake,

Can you please point me to the CKGS website? Apparently I did not find where all these requirements of sending old passport, signature, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Try this ->

Comment

Thanks, Jake. I looked at the instructions.

Where does it say that old passport has to be sent with original application? I did not find specific instructions on the above page.

Folks, are you all sending your old passport with original application?

Comment

Thanks, Jake. I looked at the instructions.

Where does it say that old passport has to be sent with original application? I did not find specific instructions on the above page.

Folks, are you all sending your old passport with original application?
              If you select "OCI Reissue for New Passport" and look at "Documents Required" it says -

Expired US Passport with Previously Issued U-Visa:
              Your original expired US passport containing the U-Visa is required. A copy of the information page of the passport and the U visa sticker is required.

Comment

Minor with a new passport, old passport with U Visa, and OCI card

I am travelling with my family in two weeks. Could someone share recent experience if it is still OK travelling with a minor child having OCI card, U Visa in old passport and new passport.

We all have OCI, but my daughter's passport recently got renewed and I never knew that I had to get OCI reissued in her new passport. I got to know about that early last month and applied shortly after, but so far I have not heard anything from them. I am getting nervous now...

Comment

Originally posted by ghasita View Post
                  I am travelling with my family in two weeks. Could someone share recent experience if it is still OK travelling with a minor child having OCI card, U Visa in old passport and new passport.

We all have OCI, but my daughter's passport recently got renewed and I never knew that I had to get OCI reissued in her new passport. I got to know about that early last month and applied shortly after, but so far I have not heard anything from them. I am getting nervous now...
                  This is tricky. I don't have any direct experience. But go to the link below through ministry of home affairs and see Q25

Comment

Several families I know went this summer (June - August) with OCI on old passport, OCI card and new passport with no issues at Delhi, Mumbai and Ahmedabad airports. These were for children as well as adults.

This does not mean that they can not enforce the guideline now !!

Comment

Thanks for the response!

Originally posted by att_001 View Post
                      Several families I know went this summer (June - August) with OCI on old passport, OCI card and new passport with no issues at Delhi, Mumbai and Ahmedabad airports. These were for children as well as adults.

This does not mean that they can not enforce the guideline now !!
                      - - - Updated - - -

Thanks. The PDF really helps.

Originally posted by ocitracker View Post
                      This is tricky. I don't have any direct experience. But go to the link below through ministry of home affairs and see Q25

http://mha1.nic.in/pdfs/oci-faq.pdf

Comment

OCI renewal for Minor

Were you able to travel with OCI sticker on expired US Passport?

Comment

provide update please

Originally posted by rayrax View Post
                          Were you able to travel with OCI sticker on expired US Passport?
                          Hi,

Can you provide an update on what happened? Did you travel with new passport and old visa? I am in a similar situation and travelling in 4 days time. My kid travelled in 2013 with new passport and old visa and didn't have any issues. So wondering if it would be a problem now.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gmma View Post
                            Hi,

Can you provide an update on what happened? Did you travel with new passport and old visa? I am in a similar situation and travelling in 4 days time. My kid travelled in 2013 with new passport and old visa and didn't have any issues. So wondering if it would be a problem now.

Thanks
                            Recently (July 2015), we traveled to India. My kids had new US Passports and their old US passports had lifelong U-Visa stamp. We took both their old and new passports along with their OCI cards, but no where (either in US or in Doha or in Bangalore) did anyone ask for their U-Visa. We just showed their new US Passport and their OCI card. Before traveling, I inquired with CGI, Houston if I had to renew my kids' OCI and received a response that "It is advisable that you apply immediately and can travel using the exisng OCI card and valid passport".

2 years ago, this was not the situation. I left my kid's old US Passport at home, thinking that it wouldn't be needed. But when we were checking in at the US airport, they insisted on seeing the U-Visa in the old passport otherwise they wouldn't let us board the flight. Luckily I had enough time to go home and get it in time.

Comment

Travel with minor having OCI on old passport

Hi

My daughter has got an OCI on old UK passport and had new UK passport issued on Mar 2015.

I am planing to travelling to UK from Delhi next week with our daughter, will it be OK if I carry both passports and and the OCI card?

I read somewhere that for minors below 20 years age OCI needs to be transferred to new card.

Has any of travelled with their kids rcently on similar situation?

Comment

oci help - travelling with kids - new oci needed

I have my daughter's American passport renewed. The old passport has the OCI sticker. Do I need to renew the OCI Card also? Anyone travellled recently in this situation? I am travelling in 2 days and appreciate if any one could provide info.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X