Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some information regarding change of status of visa

Hi All,
    I need some information regarding change of status of visa.
    I came to US on L2 visa,then I applied for change of status of my L2 visa to F1 visa.
    It got approved and my visa status changed to F1 and i completed my masters also,right now I'm on OPT period.But in my passport my visa is L2 only.
    Now my question is,if i visit India,do i need to go for F1 visa stamping (in India) while i come back to USA again.
    Is there any option like,I can get my F1 visa stamping in other countries like Canada or Mexico OR do i need to go to India only to get it stamped.
    I'm asking all these because it's been 4 years that i didn't see my parents.
    Please help me on this.

Thanks in advance.

If you want to return in F1 status you will need F1 Visa. If you want to return in L2 status you will need L2 Visa (assuming your spouse is still maintaining L1 status).

You can apply for F1 Visa anywhere in principle. However, you need to show ties to home country for that and doing it in a third country is difficult. Also, being on OPT makes it more risky. If denied you will then have to return in L2 status and if that happens you will not be able to work without an L2 based EAD.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by samba807 View Post
      Hi All,
      I came to US on L2 visa,then I applied for change of status of my L2 visa to F1 visa.
      It got approved and my visa status changed to F1 and i completed my masters also,right now I'm on OPT period.But in my passport my visa is L2 only.
      Now my question is,if i visit India,do i need to go for F1 visa stamping (in India) while i come back to USA again.
      Is there any option like,I can get my F1 visa stamping in other countries like Canada or Mexico OR do i need to go to India only to get it stamped.
      Please help me on this.

Thanks in advance.
      since you changed your status, you can not return with the L2 visa (unless you change the status back to L2), and need an F1 visa stamp if you leave the US and want to return. If you can get the visa stamp in a different country depends on the country. I think Canada requires you to have residency to apply for visas. check the website of the embassy you are planning to go to to find out what the requirements are.

Comment

Originally posted by vroni View Post
        since you changed your status, you can not return with the L2 visa (unless you change the status back to L2), and need an F1 visa stamp if you leave the US and want to return. If you can get the visa stamp in a different country depends on the country. I think Canada requires you to have residency to apply for visas. check the website of the embassy you are planning to go to to find out what the requirements are.
        That is not entirely correct. Change of status means nothing once one leaves the US. You can return in any status if you have the corresponding Visa.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Hi,
          Did you get your F1 stamping in India after COS in the US? How was the visa interview process?
          What kind of questions do they ask once you are already studying in a US institution?
          I'm in the same situation as yours. Please advice.
          Thanks.

Originally posted by samba807 View Post
          Hi All,
          Please help me on this.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I need some information regarding change of status of visa

check the website of the embassy you are planning to go to to find out what the requirements and information regarding change of status of visa.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X