I-130 Immigrant petition for unmarried son over 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-130 Immigrant petition for unmarried son over 21

I am a recent US citizen and sponsored my son while I was still a permanent resident. When I look at USCIS case status for my son dated July 31,2012, it says that the processing time at the California Service Center should be 22.2 months for a perm resident filing and 30.8 months for a US citizen filing. I had thought that becoming a US citizen would speed up my son's application, but it looks as though this is not so. Also when I look back at last year July 31, 2011, the processing time for a permanent resident filing was supposed to be 15 months. Can anyone advise whether I should update my status at USCIS to reflect my US citizenship, or leave things as they are. Does anyone know how accurate these processing times are supposed to be and why the time is now longer than it was a year ago. Thank you

Originally posted by taverner78704 View Post
    I am a recent US citizen and sponsored my son while I was still a permanent resident. When I look at USCIS case status for my son dated July 31,2012, it says that the processing time at the California Service Center should be 22.2 months for a perm resident filing and 30.8 months for a US citizen filing. I had thought that becoming a US citizen would speed up my son's application, but it looks as though this is not so. Also when I look back at last year July 31, 2011, the processing time for a permanent resident filing was supposed to be 15 months. Can anyone advise whether I should update my status at USCIS to reflect my US citizenship, or leave things as they are. Does anyone know how accurate these processing times are supposed to be and why the time is now longer than it was a year ago. Thank you
    From what country are you ? When did you file the petition ?
    "TO GOD BE THE GLORY"

F3 Watch List for active members

aaydrian = June 7, 2002
    dsz = Sep 3, 2002 / rupen = Sep 22, 2002 / mtouch = Sep 24, 2002
    S&MN = Oct 23, 2002/ taz70 = Nov 2, 2002

zikh = Jan 10, 2003
    Feb2003 = 2/11/2003/clearvision=2/23/2003
    diva / sasif / pike = March 2003
    Puddy = April 2003
    hfsitumo2001 = May 22, 2003 / tabby = May 19, 2003
    Imran123 = Aug 2003
    butter = Nov 23, 2003

chsingh = June 2004
    krish_84 = Nov 2004 / zaga14 = Nov 8, 2004

Comment

My son as well

I was hoping to see an answer to this, but the questioner did not provide follow-up information. I just became a citizen via Canada, and want to sponsor my 32 year old unmarried Canadian son who is residing with us and entered legally. I meet the financial guidelines. This requires I-130? How long does the process take to obtain lawful permanent resident status? Please advise. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by olenaandkirk View Post
        I was hoping to see an answer to this, but the questioner did not provide follow-up information. I just became a citizen via Canada, and want to sponsor my 32 year old unmarried Canadian son who is residing with us and entered legally. I meet the financial guidelines. This requires I-130? How long does the process take to obtain lawful permanent resident status? Please advise. Thanks.
        Your info is not clear either.

1. Is your country of birth Canada ? (citizenship is different than nationality)
        2. Are you currently residing in the US? If yes, for how long ?
        3. What is the status of your son (if he's living in the US right now)
        "TO GOD BE THE GLORY"

aaydrian = June 7, 2002

zikh = Jan 10, 2003
        Puddy = April 2003
        Imran123 = Aug 2003
        butter = Nov 23, 2003

chsingh = June 2004

Comment

file petition for unmarried daughter 27 years old

I am a Naturalized U.S. Citizen. My unmarried 27 year old daughter is visiting with my husband and me under a visitor's visa, and expressed the desire to remain here with us. My daughter arrived in the U.S. from Indonesia in May of 2012. Her exit permit is dated November 2012. We have not filed the I-130 to date. I see nothing in the U.S.C.I.S regulations that indicate she must return to her native country while we file the I-130. However, legal counsel has confirmed she is not allowed to remain with us; that she must return home until the I-130 is approved. Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by ciaobella View Post
            I am a Naturalized U.S. Citizen. My unmarried 27 year old daughter is visiting with my husband and me under a visitor's visa, and expressed the desire to remain here with us. My daughter arrived in the U.S. from Indonesia in May of 2012. Her exit permit is dated November 2012. We have not filed the I-130 to date. I see nothing in the U.S.C.I.S regulations that indicate she must return to her native country while we file the I-130. However, legal counsel has confirmed she is not allowed to remain with us; that she must return home until the I-130 is approved. Is this correct?
            Yes, legal counsel is right. Your daughter's visa is only a temporary stay visa that's why there is a validity date, meaning she has to leave the US on or before that date. Overstaying can trigger the 3/10 year bar. Word of advice - let your daughter leave before expiry date AND file the I-130 now; do not delay.
            "TO GOD BE THE GLORY"

aaydrian = June 7, 2002

zikh = Jan 10, 2003
            Puddy = April 2003
            Imran123 = Aug 2003
            butter = Nov 23, 2003

chsingh = June 2004

Comment

Originally posted by mtouch View Post
              Yes, legal counsel is right. Your daughter's visa is only a temporary stay visa that's why there is a validity date, meaning she has to leave the US on or before that date. Overstaying can trigger the 3/10 year bar. Word of advice - let your daughter leave before expiry date AND file the I-130 now; do not delay.
              Thanks for reply. So it means I can not even Extend her visa before expire date? Understand that you advice is - let her go back and file for the I-130 and wait till the visa will be available? Other word She mentioned that she will rather apply Asylum than go back in her country because for the timeline will be around 7 or 8 years for wait of the visa will be available. Thanks again for your attention.

Comment

Thanks for reply. So it means I can not even Extend her visa before expire date? Understand that you advice is - let her go back and file for the I-130 and wait till the visa will be available? Other word She mentioned that she will rather apply Asylum than go back in her country because for the timeline will be around 7 or 8 years for wait of the visa will be available. Thanks again for your attention.
                If she wants to extend her visitor visa she has to apply for it. Maximum extension will not be more than 6 months. Filing an asylum is a long, tedious, expensive process and most cases are denied. You have to hire an attorney for it. If she's a college degree holder you/she can look for an employer who can petition her. However the surest way to get an immigrant visa is still I-130. 7-8 yrs is not that long if she's gainfully employed or studying in her country. Others have waited for more than 20 years !
                "TO GOD BE THE GLORY"

aaydrian = June 7, 2002

zikh = Jan 10, 2003
                Puddy = April 2003
                Imran123 = Aug 2003
                butter = Nov 23, 2003

chsingh = June 2004

Comment

[QUOTE=mtouch;284144]If she wants to extend her visitor visa she has to apply for it. Maximum extension will not be more than 6 months. Filing an asylum is a long, tedious, expensive process and most cases are denied. You have to hire an attorney for it. If she's a college degree holder you/she can look for an employer who can petition her. However the surest way to get an immigrant visa is still I-130. 7-8 yrs is not that long if she's gainfully employed or studying in her country. Others have waited for more than 20 years ![/QUOTe

Thank you so much for your clear explanation. Other question....If the immigration approve my daughter extend visa...when is the best time to file for I-30 for my daughter? right now or let her go back first and file? thanks again....<3

Comment

Thank you so much for your clear explanation. Other question....If the immigration approve my daughter extend visa...when is the best time to file for I-30 for my daughter? right now or let her go back first and file? thanks again....<3
                    You should file right now. Her priority date (PD) is the date that USCIS receives your petition and the PD is what determines her place in line.
                    "TO GOD BE THE GLORY"

aaydrian = June 7, 2002

zikh = Jan 10, 2003
                    Puddy = April 2003
                    Imran123 = Aug 2003
                    butter = Nov 23, 2003

chsingh = June 2004

Comment

thank you for your answer.....<3

Comment

Please reply to me!

Hello,
                        I am an unmarried son over 21, and my dad is an american citizen and he has applied for the I-130 petition. Case was approved exactly 14 months ago. My question is how much time do i have to wait until i get the green card or what should i do next?
                        Many thanks in advance!

Comment

Help needed in regards to visa class conversation

Hello There,

My Mom filed I-130 in 2008 on the basis of green card(F2B Visa Class), later in 2010 she became us citizen and we got our Vategory changed to F1.

Here is the confusion , I just received welcome leter from NVC and asked as to initiate visa process. when I logged in to initiate process NVC is showing my Visa Class as F2B.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.3d24 View Post
                            Hello There,

My Mom filed I-130 in 2008 on the basis of green card(F2B Visa Class), later in 2010 she became us citizen and we got our Vategory changed to F1.

Here is the confusion , I just received welcome leter from NVC and asked as to initiate visa process. when I logged in to initiate process NVC is showing my Visa Class as F2B.
                            Hi,

When is your priority date ?

Thanks

Comment

filing for unmarried child over 21

did you get an answer to your query

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...