Travel in OPT without a valid visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel in OPT without a valid visa

Hi I am under F1, still in my masters in xxxx university and I may fall in OPT from Feb,2013. My visa is about to expire in Aug,2013. Can I able to make a trip to India with my OPT without having a valid visa? Do I have to attend for an interview for my visa extension? or Do I have to attend only if I have a proper job in OPT? what are the chances of getting my visa extended in my OPT?
    I appreciate if somebody help me out...

Originally posted by samy View Post
    Hi I am under F1, still in my masters in xxxx university and I may fall in OPT from Feb,2013. My visa is about to expire in Aug,2013. Can I able to make a trip to India with my OPT without having a valid visa? Do I have to attend for an interview for my visa extension? or Do I have to attend only if I have a proper job in OPT? what are the chances of getting my visa extended in my OPT?
    I appreciate if somebody help me out...
    you will need to apply for a new visa in india and go to an interview at an embassy or consulate. the chances of refusal are somewhat higher on OPT compared to a student who is still in school. also, if you travel on OPT and you do not have a job there might be a chance that you will not be let back in the US. according to my university none of the students from my university had this problem so far.

Comment

First of all, you need a valid Visa to return to US. So it is better to plan your trip so that you return before Aug 2013. That way you will not need to apply for Visa again.

Secondly, in order to return to US while on OPT, it is necessary that you have a job offer in hand. You cannot return to look for a job.

Applying for F1 Visa in general has risk of denial because of immigrant intent. Being on OPT makes it more risky.
      This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X