Question regarding OPT after second Masters degree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding OPT after second Masters degree

Hello. I am currently on a F1 student visa and studying a MS program and about to graduate this month. I am about to applying for OPT but I have a concern regarding my application. I have previously finished my MBA back in 2006 and was approved an OPT for 12 months, out of which I used 5 months and got transferred to H1-b visa. I worked in the US for a couple of years and left the country after that. I re-entered US after 2.5 years on a new F1 visa (with new SEVIS record) for this MS program. The rules for applying for OPT are not clear if this OPT resets if one is out of the US for an extended period of time after termination of their previous H1-b visa.

Besides, this MS program falls under the new STEM system, which allows students to apply for a 12 month and further a 17 month OPT extension (i.e. a total of 29 months), if needed. I read somewhere that if one is out of US for over 5 months, then previous OPT does not matter. Is that true?

My question is basically if I apply, what are the chances that I will get approved. Does anybody know of someone who dealt with similar condition? Please reply asap as I am really tensed about it.

Thanks for your time.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X