Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question in regards to 'travel outside of US while on OPT Extension'

Current Status:
    1) On extended OPT valid thru July 2013.
    2) My F1 expires May 2013.
    3) I work for a non e-verified client through an e-verified employer.
    4) My earned degree is related to my current job work performed.

Issue: I've come to India for a month visit. But my current client is requesting me to stay back until mid-March 2013, and look after clients operations in India office.

Concerns:
    1) So, if I agree - the stay outside US would be close to 120 days. Is staying outside of US in Extended-OPT limited in no of days ?

2) Is it advisable to work for client while I'm in India ?

3) How advisable is the travel to US so close to the expiry date of F1 ?

4) If yes - do I need to carry any supporting documents to travel back to US ? - I'm currently carrying employer letter , client letter, and duly signed i20.

Thank you

Originally posted by klv View Post
    Current Status:
    1) On extended OPT valid thru July 2013.
    2) My F1 expires May 2013.
    3) I work for a non e-verified client through an e-verified employer.
    4) My earned degree is related to my current job work performed.

Issue: I've come to India for a month visit. But my current client is requesting me to stay back until mid-March 2013, and look after clients operations in India office.

Concerns:
    1) So, if I agree - the stay outside US would be close to 120 days. Is staying outside of US in Extended-OPT limited in no of days ?
    -- Yes, period outside of US is considered unemployment.
    2) Is it advisable to work for client while I'm in India ?
    -- You can work, just don't get the total unemployment period over the 29 months above 120 days.
    3) How advisable is the travel to US so close to the expiry date of F1 ?
    -- That's fine. But if your employer is filing H1 for you, you should return before Apr 1.
    4) If yes - do I need to carry any supporting documents to travel back to US ? - I'm currently carrying employer letter , client letter, and duly signed i20.
    -- That is fine.

Thank you
    See above.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for the reply ' kabkaba' - Just a quick question.

Thank you so much for the reply ' kabkaba' - Just a quick question out of ignorance!

1) If I can work while I'm located in India - How will that be considered as un-employment, while my par roll is on since I'm working ? - Please correct me if I'm wrong !
      2) What should I be saying to the Port Of Entry officials while I return ? - Should I say I'm on vacation / Can I say the truth that I was working from India office ?

Comment

Originally posted by klv View Post
        Thank you so much for the reply ' kabkaba' - Just a quick question out of ignorance!

1) If I can work while I'm located in India - How will that be considered as un-employment, while my par roll is on since I'm working ? - Please correct me if I'm wrong !
        2) What should I be saying to the Port Of Entry officials while I return ? - Should I say I'm on vacation / Can I say the truth that I was working from India office ?
        Read the F student FAQ on ICE.gov website.
        Always answer truthfully to any immigration officials.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X