Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing dependent on F2 visa while I am on OPT

Hi,

I have F1 visa. I am on my OPT Extension and it expires on November 2013. I recently got married. My wife is from India. I am planning to bring her to USA on F2.
    My employer said that F2 visa will not be issued since I am on my OPT. He asked me to apply for H1 so that I can bring my wife on H4.

Please suggest if it is better to bring my wife on F2 or should I wait for my H1 to bring her on H4. Is there any chance for visa rejection if she applies for F2 Visa?

She can try to apply for F2. You will need to get her a dependent I-20 from your school and show evidence of sufficient funds to support her.
    Like any F Visa, she will need to prove ties to home country through property, family or job. This is where the risk of denial is. You being on OPT makes it more risky. But some people still manage to get that. There is no harm in trying for it as a denial will not affect future H4 application. But a denial will affect future F1 applications (if she has plans for studying in the US). She should have convincing and truthful answers as to how she will spend her time in the US, because in F2 status she is not allowed to work or study.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

F2 dependent while on OPT

Originally posted by Karan_Arjun99 View Post
      Hi,

I have F1 visa. I am on my OPT Extension and it expires on November 2013. I recently got married. My wife is from India. I am planning to bring her to USA on F2.
      My employer said that F2 visa will not be issued since I am on my OPT. He asked me to apply for H1 so that I can bring my wife on H4.

Please suggest if it is better to bring my wife on F2 or should I wait for my H1 to bring her on H4. Is there any chance for visa rejection if she applies for F2 Visa?
      Did your wife finally apply for F2 dependent visa?

Comment

F-2 While on OPT

Hi,

I got married in Feb 2014 and I am on F-1 In US now. I am joining a company in March 2015 and they will be filing for my H1B probably in 2016 as March 2015 is a bit late.

Now, I want to bring my wife here with me. Should I bring her on F-2 dependent on my OPT? If so, do I need to show funds in my account to support her or my offer letter will work.
        My company is going to pay me very well. So, my offer letter says a good amount.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks,
        Bhushan.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X