TN-1 to permanent residency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN-1 to permanent residency

Hello there. I am new to the forums and have a question regarding the TN-1 Visa and permanent residency status. I am a Canadian Citizen and have been on a TN-1 Visa to work in the U.S. since 2001. I would like to know what the various routes are to apply to become a permanent resident of the U.S. Is it a fairly easy process? Are there any disadvantages to applying for permanent residency when still on a TN-1 Visa? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

cyt_cdn

Originally posted by cyt_cdn View Post
    Hello there. I am new to the forums and have a question regarding the TN-1 Visa and permanent residency status. I am a Canadian Citizen and have been on a TN-1 Visa to work in the U.S. since 2001. I would like to know what the various routes are to apply to become a permanent resident of the U.S. Is it a fairly easy process? Are there any disadvantages to applying for permanent residency when still on a TN-1 Visa? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

cyt_cdn

There are many paths to becoming a permanent resident- mainly through a family relationship or through your employment (either your employer sponsors you or yourself-sponsor if you have extraordinary or exceptional ability or if you have $1000000 to invest in the U.S.). To get more specific would take pages- you should speak to a lawyer or check out the immigration websites that give detailed information.

You do need to be careful when trying to get permanent residency. The TN specifically says you must have non-immigrant intent. The fact that you have already been here for 12 years must already be raising alarms when you cross the border about your intent. You can also speak with an immigration attorney who will be able to give you specific advice based on your personal circumstances.

Comment

Basically, you can get a GC petition filed under EB3 or if you have a masters or bachelors + 5 yrs exp, EB2. But when you file the I-140, be sure that you are going to complete the GC process before extending the TN, because it could be risky since TN is not a dual intent visa.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X