Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Passport Renewal --Adding Spouse Name and I94

Hey guys,

My passport expires in Nov 2013 and my I 94 expiration date is same as passports
    Im planning to submit documents in person for passport renewal at indian consulate san francisco
    I have couple of questions

1) I want to add my wifes name to my passport but we do not have marriage certificate
    But we have 2 affidavits notarized in india . One my parents confirming we both are married and the other we both confirming that we are married
    Would a copy of above notarized affidavits work ?

If marriage certificate is mandotary and i fill in marital status as married and supply only notarized affidavits, will they reject the application?
    Will rejecting a bad thing ?
    Or shall i put my marital status as single and apply for new passport and add in the spouse name when we get marriage certificate later next year

i tried calling consulate and they are not sure , tey think that we might need marriage certificate
    Im assuming there should be a way if we dont have any
    I was wondering if anyone had this issue

2)Do i have to grab a new i 94 form after i get the new passport? if so where can i get it ,, from airport ?

Thank you
    Devi

I think an affidavit similar to what is descibed here :
    You just have to go and talk with them. Just fill the form with your spouse's name and go submit personally, if they ask for document show the affidavit that you have, if they agree it should be fine otherwise include the name after getting the marriage certificate. Make sure you take spouse's passport too with you best if you can take spouse also with you. I have generally seen that if one applies in tatkaal with same day hand delivery very little documentation especially around marriage certificate is asked.

Even if they deny adding your spouse's name its no big deal you still have the right to get a renewed passport for yourself. Just be polite, you know the usual way it works with Govt machinery.

Dont put marital status as single, its wrong data and can go against you.

You dont need a new I-94 till at least Nov 2013, you are legal to stay till then. As for new I-94 beyond that, you can go to nearest CBP office and show them the latest passport and explain the situation, they may or may not issue you a new I-94. If they dont the only option would be to file an extension using I539/I129 combination OR to leave US and re enter with both the passports new and old one.

This is my opinion not legal advice.
    Last edited by raghvi; 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Thank you so much for the advise
      I sent an email to sfo consulate and they said they wont accept anything other than marriage certificate
      As you said, i will put the marital status as married and go to the consulate with my wife and try to see if i can convince them
      If not im assumng they will not put my wives name not reject application

Thank you

Comment

i submitted all the documents to vfs which included notarized marriage affidavits
        It just took two weeks and i got my wifes name on the passport

Thanx again,, honesty pays

Comment

Originally posted by chandu_b View Post
          i submitted all the documents to vfs which included notarized marriage affidavits

Hi,

Good to hear that you have got what you are looking for.

I m in the same court, applying for passport renewal and looking to add my spouse name. Which forms should I complete?
          The online form DS-82 is not asking for spouse details.

Could you let me know how did you get the things done?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by mhvarhdan View Post
            Hi,

Good to hear that you have got what you are looking for.

I m in the same court, applying for passport renewal and looking to add my spouse name. Which forms should I complete?
            The online form DS-82 is not asking for spouse details.

Could you let me know how did you get the things done?

Thanks in advance.

There is a checklist of Documents which you need to submit for passport at vfs website
            Among the checklist you have nationality verification form and passport application and both of them has name of the spouse and you have to put your wifes name there
            And also provide your wifes full passport copy notarzed in the mail as well and dats marriage certificate and dats al you need

Comment

Hi,

Could you please let me know if they printed US adress or Indian address on the passport. I'm in the process of renewing my passport next month.

Thanks,
              Vinay.

Comment

I am in the same boat..

Thanks in advance, where did you get the notarized marriage affidavits from India or US. I am waiting for my parents to send me the affidavits from India so that I can go in person and get it renewed.

Comment

Travel back before I 94 expires with out stamping in india

Hi I have a question not relevant to this but i am finding hard time to add a thread here at immihelp......if some one can help me that would be great.
                  My VIsa expires in July 8 2013.My H1B extension got approved on 8th april 2013....i have a question i have some urgent personal commitments for which i have to travel to India in the month of may and come back by June.....can i go to India and come back to US with out stamping?? or do i need to go to stanping ??
                  let me put my question in detail:

Planed to travel :10 may 2013
                  Back to US:08 june 2013
                  Present Visa/I94 expiry date:july 8th 2013

New petiton: expiry 2015

Questiono i need to go to stamping?
                  if not will i be provided with New I94 if i show my new H1B Approved petition to the officer at the port of entry(for example:expiry date on new petition is 2015)? or they will provide only for the remaining one moth? or i will be asked to go back to India?Please let me know?

Comment

Marriage Affidavit

Can you please show me the typical format for the marriage affidavit? I am in the exact same boat. Can I make the affidavit here in US and get it notarized in US? Please help me!!

Comment

Need Advice

I am going to apply indian pass renewal in USA. I am married but I don't have marriage certificate. what should i mention in MarriageStatus column"?. If I say Married, I have to mention Spouse Name, If I mention Spouse name, I have to produce Marriage certificate which I don't have.

Please advice.

Thanks
                      Sundar.M

Comment

Need Advice

I am going to apply indian pass renewal in USA. I am married but I don't have marriage certificate. what should i mention in MarriageStatus column"?. If I mention Married, I have to mention Spouse name. If I mention spouse, I have to produce Marriage certificate which I don have. What to do now ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X