Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am i on the right Visa?

Hi all,

Arrived here looking for a little help or advice as I’m new to the whole visa for this and for that.

For the last 2 or so years I have been entering the USA on my waiver visa, otherwise it’s been a 20 year gap.
    Once in 2011 staying for 2 weeks, twice in 2012 staying 2 weeks again and then 3 weeks being 6 months apart, and only just returned staying there for 4 weeks.

I want to go back this August, but got asked a few questions this last time, more so at the customs desk the last time I visited, which I very much understand.
    They are doing their job at the end of the day, but got me thinking about things.

I have very good friends out in the USA which I stay with every time and have known for the last 10 years.

I want to visit for 6 weeks this time, as I want to look at property which I’m thinking about. But also I run my own business back here in the UK, so always carry my laptop and accessories with me. I do not conduct any business in the USA or there is no connection. Just do a little work which is UK related and to keep in touch and check on things with emails etc. But also wanting to come back and finish writing a book which I have just started. There is also a chance I would be doing some internet research within the USA market as well, but once again is research for myself only and nothing business related.

I did read somewhere about research in the USA requiring a different visa but I’m not sure. Customs last time asked me about working in the USA, but had already told them this is a NO and I already own my own business back in the UK. So why I am here asking and just double checking to see if I am ok on the Waiver Visa still or I do in fact need to apply for something else? Also just wanting to stay legal with everything, as I would love to live in the USA and become a resident sometime in my life later down the line and wouldn’t want anything to create complications.

Many thanks.

There is nothing wrong with doing your work while physically present in the US. Doing research on your computer that you are continuing on your trip the US is also fine. Don't say more than you have to at immigration, though. You can say that you will correspond with your UK clients and what not (essentially, keeping yourself available for your legal work back home), but that you need to be in the country to do your work successfully (otherwise, you can overstay in the US and keep doing your work, right?).

Comment

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and confirming that there is nothing wrong with continuing my UK work abroad within the USA.
      I fully understanding not too say too much to immigration as it could be taken the other way for overstaying, something that i would not do.
      Love the USA so much and would want to return as much as i can and the last thing i want is any complications with immigration.

Thanks once again.

Comment

I don't think so that you are on wrong visa but let be sure by immigration lawyers they will suggest you if you are on right visa or not.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X