DATV -- Direct Airside Transit Visa for UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DATV -- Direct Airside Transit Visa for UK

I am planning to travel from US to India, via Heathrow airport,London. I understand that we need to have DATV(direct airside Transit visa) for the plane change in London.

Below are my questions

1) How long DAT Visa will be valid?
    2) Since it is round trip, do I need to apply for DAT Visa again in India for my return through Heathrough Airport?

If you have a US visa, no DATV is necessary.

Comment

Hi,

I am travelling from India to US with a 14 hour (calender date changes) layover at Heathrow airport. As per UK border agency website I am eligible for 'Transit without Visa' concession. But when I contacted VFS center at Mumbai, they say that because calender date is changing, you need a 'Visitor in Transit' visa. But when I tell them about UK border agency web site rules they don't say anything else, but still say I need a visitor in transit visa. I will not leave airport lounge premises as my connecting flight is also from Heathrow.

please help me ! who can I contact to confirm this?

British high commission in India directs to VFS helpline for visa related inquiries. And VFS claims that they are not the visa issuing authority, they are just an application facilitation center. But press on the fact that I get a transit visa.

American Airline wont help/comment on this as this is not an airline requirement.
      I am confused whether to apply for Transit Visa or not.

Regards,
      Nikhil

Comment

All,

Did you have have to apply for the DATV / Transit visa for Transit at Heathrow Airport for travel from US to India.

Please note my dependents who will be travelling to India via UK from US, have valid US H4 Visa.

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks
        Last edited by cktechie2012; 09-24-2013, 09:48 PM.

Comment

They don't need DATV or Transit Visas if they are not going to leave the airport. How much layover do they have?
          This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for your response.

They will not be leaving the airport, and be in the transit lounge, they have layover of 3.5 hours on journey SFO (US)-LHR(UK)-BLR(IND), and 1.5 hours on journey from India to US, that is, BLR(IND)-LHR(UK)-SFO (US). No change of airports at London, will be at Heathrow airport for the onward journey to and from India.

Do let me know if this needs DATV.
            Last edited by cktechie2012; 09-25-2013, 10:26 AM. Reason: Adding more information

Comment

Not needed as long as their US Visa are valid.

Comment

My family has Valid H4 Visa, which is expiring on Jan 20th 2014 and they are travelling in December 2013. They will be returning in Feb 2014, after re-stamping H4 Visa in India.
                Last edited by cktechie2012; 09-25-2013, 12:43 PM. Reason: adding more information

Comment

Believe from the above details, DATV / Transit Visa for UK would not be required,

thank you for the responses!

Comment

DATV vs. Visitors visa

I am traveling to India in December for h1 b renewal stamping since my current has expired. I have the extended 1797 with me. I applied for a DATV airside transit visa since I am traveling on BA via heathrow airport. I was denied the visa without any reason provided. When I received the passport back, I noticed that my previous visitors visa to UK was still valid since we had been there on vacation few months back. Not sure if this was the reason they denied. Can any one comment if I can still travel?

Comment

Since you have a valid visitor visa for the UK, you did not need the DATV in the first place. One cannot speculate why you were denied the visa. But, you can certainly use the visitor visa now.

Comment

Why would you apply for a DATV when you have a valid visit visa? That is most likely the reason your application was denied. You're lucky it wasn't cancelled on grounds of stupidity.
                        Last edited by cafeconleche; 10-07-2013, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cktechie2012 View Post
                          Believe from the above details, DATV / Transit Visa for UK would not be required,

thank you for the responses!
                          Hi cktechie.. Were you able to travel through UK without any Transit VISA? Was your travel smooth?

Comment

Originally posted by smsundar View Post
                            Hi cktechie.. Were you able to travel through UK without any Transit VISA? Was your travel smooth?
                            Family is yet to travel in December, however since they still have the Visa valid on their passports, there shouldn't be any problems as per the details I have seen in the forum. Will update the details once my family travels to India.

Thanks

Comment

Help

Originally posted by cktechie2012 View Post
                              Family is yet to travel in December, however since they still have the Visa valid on their passports, there shouldn't be any problems as per the details I have seen in the forum. Will update the details once my family travels to India.

Thanks
                              Hi I am travelling to INdia via British airways. I have a valid b1b2 visa but my work visa has expired and I will get it stamped in India. With valid b1b2 do you think I need DTAV. Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X