Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B-CAP Exempt -Expired H1 Petitions

Hi,
    I had an approved I-797 petition from Employer A in Aug 2005 and travelled to US on Aug 2006.
    I did my H1-Transfer to Employer B in June 2007 and got another I-797 petition (extension) valid till 2011.
    I was in US for 3 years till 2009 and came back to India and been staying here since then.
    Now can I apply for my H1B CAP exempt (I still have 3 years left) considering that my second I-797 expired in 2011?
    Please clarify.

Regards,
    Ram

H1B-CAP Exempt -Expired H1 Petitions

Yes , an employer can file a cap exempt petition and claim for the remainder period

1. You will get only the remaining time ie 6 yrs - time already spent on the 2 petitions that you had.

I am also assuming the initial petition was subject to the cap and not for a cap-exempt employer.

Note: This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks. Yes, The first petition was CAP subjected.
      Also, is the 6 year validity on the petition, is valid for the initial petition or the latest petition that got expired and which is less than 6 years?
      Because, my employer says since the first petition was approved in 2005 the 6 year validity is over.
      The additional petition that I have is an extension of the original I-797 which got exxpired in 2011.
      I am confused as to whether I belong to CAP exempt or not.
      Can anyone advice whom can I contact to get accurate response in this regard?

Thanks for your help..

Comment

H1B-CAP Exempt -Expired H1 Petitions

Since you have used your h1 , you can file a cap -exempt petition under the remainder option .

My opinion it is that you can avail this option for 6 yrs since your last day in valid h1 status which in your case is 2009.

Consult with an attorney and do not rely on my advice .

Comment

Looking for h1b visa sponsor from India. I am h1b cap exempt

Hi All,

MY h1b visa got expired in 2011. I have not traveled during the validity of my visa.
          Now I want to travel to US and am looking for genuine h1b visa sponsor. Please help me in getting one or provide some guidance

Thanks in advance

Comment

Thanks. I had consulted an attorney and he confirmed me that I can use the remainng unused years eventhough my petition has expired.

Comment

H1B cap exempt eligibiliy

Hi,
              I had H1B visa which was approved in Aug 2005 and stamping was valid till 30th Sep 2007. I returned back to India in the month of Aug 2007. Hence, I stayed on H1B for almost 1.5 years. In 2009, I travelled to US on my L1B for almost 6 months. Now, I want to return back to US finding a sponsor. But, before approaching to sponsor I want to know if I am eligible ofr H1B cap exempt ? If yes, then will it be for remaining 4 years ? Please help it is very urgent. Also, would appreciate if someone can guide me on the best way to find a sponsor.

Comment

Originally posted by rprasadh View Post
                Thanks. I had consulted an attorney and he confirmed me that I can use the remainng unused years eventhough my petition has expired.
                Hi,

My case is very similar to yours. My initial visa was from Oct 2006 to Sep 2009, I changed job in Aug 2007 and my visa was valid from Aug 2007 to Aug 2010. I returned to India in Aug 2009. Is it possible to file cap exempt H1B? Is it necessary to apply from the same employer or I can also go through a new Employer? It will be great if you can help me with the details?

Thanks in advance and looking for a reply from you.

Comment

Hi,

I have a question regarding expired H1B visa. I have a Masters degree from US and I had a H1B visa that was approved during the Oct 2008. I got my H1B stamping in India on 9th Jan 2009. I lost my job in Aug 2009 and returned to India in Nov 2009 itself. Now, I am planning to shift back to US for work reasons, I am aware that I am exempt from H1B cap. My question is when can a employer file a cap exempt H1B petition, can that be done throughout the year or only during the month of April? If its year round when do I start working for my new employer. I am aware that if its April 2014 filing, then the working day starts from Oct 1 2014

Thanks and regards,
                  Anu

Comment

Cap-exempt petition can be filed at any time and immediate start date can be requested.

Oct 1 date is only significant because that is start of the fiscal year and the year when new cap becomes available. Apr 1 is only significant because H1B petitions can be filed maximum 6 months in advance. If cap is not filled by Oct 1, even cap-subject petitions can be filed with immediate start date (as in 2009-2010).
                    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Approved I797 of May 2008 valid for cap exempt?

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
                      Cap-exempt petition can be filed at any time and immediate start date can be requested.

Oct 1 date is only significant because that is start of the fiscal year and the year when new cap becomes available. Apr 1 is only significant because H1B petitions can be filed maximum 6 months in advance. If cap is not filled by Oct 1, even cap-subject petitions can be filed with immediate start date (as in 2009-2010).

I have approved I797 for H1B of 2008 Lottery which was valid from October-01-2008 for Company A. I got 221g on it when I went for H1B stamping in India in 2010. My employer never responded back with documents. Now I am in USA on L1B visa since last 3 years working for Employer B. Recently I got an offer from Employer C. Is it possible for Employer C to file H1B for me under cap exempt using my old I797 copy? If yes than what is the procedure?

Comment

Hi Prasadh,
                        Could you please pm me contact details of attorney? I am also in the same boat. Thank you
                        Originally posted by rprasadh View Post

Comment

Originally posted by MBATechGrad View Post
                          Hi Prasadh,
                          Could you please pm me contact details of attorney? I am also in the same boat. Thank you
                          Hi MBATechGrad & rprasadh,
                          Could you please share the attorney details and the current status of your processing. I am also having the same situation.

Eagerly waiting for your reply....

Comment

I had H1B visa which was approved in Aug 2005 and stamping was valid till 30th Sep 2007. I returned back to India in the month of Aug 2007. Hence, I stayed on H1B for almost 1.5 years. In 2009, I travelled to US on my L1B for almost 6 months. Now, I want to return back to US finding a sponsor. But, before approaching to sponsor I want to know if I am eligible ofr H1B cap exempt ? If yes, then will it be for remaining 4 years ? Please help it is very urgent. Also, would appreciate if someone can guide me on the best way to find a sponsor.
                            I have a dream to change this world, but I am too small

Comment

Clarfication Required on H1B Transfer process without US Payslips

I got a H1B Visa in year 2008 which was valid till 2010. I travelled to USA in year 2008 and came back to india after 4 months stay over there since my employer has not provided any opportunities during that time. So I don't have any US Payslips. The Petition was valid till 2010.

Currently I am working in India....

So Can I find a Sponsor now and transfer my H1B Petition to work for new employer for the remaining period. Is it possible ? Please advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X