Fly to US, drive to Canada and back, fly from US back home on VWP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly to US, drive to Canada and back, fly from US back home on VWP

I'm flying to and from US from a VWP country and have ESTA approval. During my vacation I will also drive to Canada and back with a rented car to visit some friends in Canada for a couple of days. When I re-enter US from Canada, do I need to fill out I-94W since I am crossing the border by land?

I assume that if I would not go to Canada and back, I-94W would not be necessary since I am flying back home and the form is no longer used at air and sea ports (if my understanding of the matter is correct)? What do I do with the I-94W when leaving the US? Return it to the carrier at the check-in desk?

Thanks for the answers.

No, your original 90 days will continue until you leave the US to go home. Going to Canada does not give you more time, so remember not to stay for longer than 90 days in North America. Your original I94W will be valid for your entire trip to the continent.

Comment

Originally posted by cafeconleche View Post
      No, your original 90 days will continue until you leave the US to go home. Going to Canada does not give you more time, so remember not to stay for longer than 90 days in North America. Your original I94W will be valid for your entire trip to the continent.
      Thanks for the answer. We are only staying in US/Canada for 3 weeks, so this is not a problem. I will not have the "original" I-94W, since we are flying into NYC and the I-94W is no longer in use if your point of entry is either air or sea port. My question is whether I will have the form at all since we are also flying back to Europe. I would not have it definitely if we were not crossing into Canada and back (i.e. only staying in the US), but since we are crossing the land border where I-94W is still used. Any ideas? Well I am sure that the CBP officer at border crossing will tell us, but it would be nice to know in advance.

Comment

Are you sure they still issue physical I94W cards at land borders? If they do, it still doesn't matter since they'd scan your passport and see that you were issued a virtual one.

Comment

I just found this looking for info bout my own trip - exact same plan except for 4 months rather than 3 week - and it seems I might be in trouble. I was naïvely guessing that going through Canada, as it is a different country, wouldn't count as being in the US.

Now I do have my tickets (flying in Portland in February, leaving from New York in June, linking both through land travel in Canada). I am from a country part of Visa Waiver Program and already have my ESTA. What options might I have? Should I apply for a Visa? What do I risk?

Originally posted by cafeconleche View Post
          Thanks for any help, would be much appreciated since the US embassy won't take questions and keeps directing to automated answers or websites.

Comment

I think you have to apply for a visa. At least it'd be valid for 10 years. Do it quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie View Post
              I just found this looking for info bout my own trip - exact same plan except for 4 months rather than 3 week - and it seems I might be in trouble. I was naïvely guessing that going through Canada, as it is a different country, wouldn't count as being in the US.

Now I do have my tickets (flying in Portland in February, leaving from New York in June, linking both through land travel in Canada). I am from a country part of Visa Waiver Program and already have my ESTA. What options might I have? Should I apply for a Visa? What do I risk?

Thanks for any help, would be much appreciated since the US embassy won't take questions and keeps directing to automated answers or websites.
              I'm in the same situation but I'm already in the USA. Do I have to leave the USA to apply for a visa or can I do it while in the country?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X