Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd Masters graduating May 2014. No OPT as it's my second MS so how to get H1B?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Masters graduating May 2014. No OPT as it's my second MS so how to get H1B?

Hi,

This may be a very frequent question but I didn't find many people getting the required advice.

My case:

- MS graduate Dec 2010 from Texas, USA
    - Applied OPT and was working as a volunteer researcher till July 2011
    - Left to my home country, India
    - Reapplied for another Master's degree (1 year program) and program starts Aug 2013
    - Second master's ending May 2014

As this is my second master's and I have already applied for OPT years back, I read that I am not eligible for OPT.

So,
    - Do I have a way to work in USA after completing my education in May 2014?
    - As H1B application for Fall 2014 ended in April 15th this year, even if I have an employer while studying and apply for H1B in Apr 2014, I won't be able to have my H1B work day before October? As the grace period is for 2 months maximum after F1 expires
    - Is there a way to stay in US (changing Visa to some other like B1/B2 or any other) so that I can start working in October if I get an H1B sponsor
    - What if I skip a course and take that in another semester which will make my graduation a semester late and give me time to get my H1B work day in October?

Any other suggestion would help if I am missing something that could be taken into account.

Thank you,
    Regards,
    N

Originally posted by ppss View Post
    Hi,

This may be a very frequent question but I didn't find many people getting the required advice.

My case:

- MS graduate Dec 2010 from Texas, USA
    - Applied OPT and was working as a volunteer researcher till July 2011
    - Left to my home country, India
    - Reapplied for another Master's degree (1 year program) and program starts Aug 2013
    - Second master's ending May 2014

As this is my second master's and I have already applied for OPT years back, I read that I am not eligible for OPT.

So,
    - Do I have a way to work in USA after completing my education in May 2014? --Unfortunaely not.
    - As H1B application for Fall 2014 ended in April 15th this year, even if I have an employer while studying and apply for H1B in Apr 2014, I won't be able to have my H1B work day before October? As the grace period is for 2 months maximum after F1 expires -- Yes, the H1 can only start on OCt 1
    - Is there a way to stay in US (changing Visa to some other like B1/B2 or any other) so that I can start working in October if I get an H1B sponsor -- You may be able to get cap-gap authorization to stay (not work) during the gap period. Search the F student information on ICE website
    - What if I skip a course and take that in another semester which will make my graduation a semester late and give me time to get my H1B work day in October?
    -- You are not allowed to drop below full-time course load (it is allowed only one time in the last semester)
    Any other suggestion would help if I am missing something that could be taken into account.

Thank you,
    Regards,
    N
    See above.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Hi,

Hey did you find any solution to this issue? I know the questions seems to be old and dates back to 2014. But currently I am in the same situation. Could you offer me any suggestion?

Thank you

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X