Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-entry permit for the second time - do you need to provide fingerprints again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-entry permit for the second time - do you need to provide fingerprints again?

Hello,
    I have a question regarding re-entry permit.
    If someone received their re-entry permit already and would like to apply for the second re-entry permit, do they need to follow the same process with fingerprints involved? They had already submitted their fingerprints when the first permit was issued.

Does an entire procedure need to be repeated? Or the fingerprint information is stored somewhere?

I would really appreciate your response.

Sad to inform you...

Originally posted by abol View Post
    Hello,
    I have a question regarding re-entry permit.
    If someone received their re-entry permit already and would like to apply for the second re-entry permit, do they need to follow the same process with fingerprints involved? They had already submitted their fingerprints when the first permit was issued.

Does an entire procedure need to be repeated? Or the fingerprint information is stored somewhere?

I would really appreciate your response.
    1: You MUST be present on US soil when you or your lawyer files for your new re-entry permit, and remain on US soil until you are sure the documents have arrived at USCIS's office.

2: You MUST do biometrics again. USCIS will send you an appointment that typically seems to be 1-2 months after you file, directing you to the nearest office to your last US address.

3: You MUST surrender your old re-entry permit as part of the application for a new one.

It's a royal pain, unfortunately. You can do one long, indefinite trip of ~2 months, or two short trips, one to file and one for biometrics. However, the second route results in two issues. First, you won't have a re-entry permit the second time you enter, as you have to surrender your old one as part of the application. The second is that you will have only two or three week's notice about the appointment, so booking a flight will be expensive. You can try a walk-in instead at a different time or place, but that can be hit or miss.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you so much for your response. This is very helpful.

Comment

You don't have to submit your old RP in ALL cases. If, for example, you have about 3 months left on your RP, and it's taking about 6 months to process, you can keep your current one, and write, in the application, "set to expire" and send them a copy of the bio page. They'll see when they process the application that it has expired, and won't hassle you. This is how I and my relatives did it.

Comment

Thank you. Unfortunately, my parents will have to come several days before the PR expires as they were trying to prolong their stay outside of US.
          But thank you for reply anyway.

Comment

Well, even if their RP is expired, they need not send it in if they write "expired" in the application. This is, of course, if they want the old RPs for their own records. If not, they can send them in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogemaniac View Post
              1: You MUST be present on US soil when you or your lawyer files for your new re-entry permit, and remain on US soil until you are sure the documents have arrived at USCIS's office.
              You DON'T need a lawyer to file for re-entry permit. Just follow USCIS instructions and save your money!
              Use this form to apply for a reentry permit, refugee travel document, TPS travel authorization document, advance parole document (including parole into the United States for urgent humanitarian reasons or significant public benefit), or advance permission to travel for Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) long-term residents.

Comment

Re entry Permit application for second Time

Originally posted by cafeconleche View Post
                You don't have to submit your old RP in ALL cases. If, for example, you have about 3 months left on your RP, and it's taking about 6 months to process, you can keep your current one, and write, in the application, "set to expire" and send them a copy of the bio page. They'll see when they process the application that it has expired, and won't hassle you. This is how I and my relatives did it.
                Hi cafeconleche...Have you got your RP the second time around?

I would like to follow your advise,and would like to re apply for RP the second time around..My RP will expire on Nov 2016,and I am planning to re apply on the september 2016.My wife is in the US so I can just send my form to her,so she can mail it to USCIS.

After we got aproval for biometrics,then only I will go back to US for fingerprinting.

I am planning also not to subit my old RP and follow your suggestion to put a note "set to expire".

If you have succesfully done this procedure ,I would appreciate very much to hear from you.

Thanks,
                Ram Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Pat View Post

I would like to follow your advise,and would like to re apply for RP the second time around..My RP will expire on Nov 2016,and I am planning to re apply on the september 2016.My wife is in the US so I can just send my form to her,so she can mail it to USCIS.

After we got aproval for biometrics,then only I will go back to US for fingerprinting.

I am planning also not to subit my old RP and follow your suggestion to put a note "set to expire".

If you have succesfully done this procedure ,I would appreciate very much to hear from you.

Thanks,
                  Ram Pat

Hello Ram Pat,

I was wondering if your wife has successfully sent it the applications without you having to be in the U.S.?
                  My mom is in a similar situation as you, so I am looking to see if i can send in the applications for her so she can just come for the biometrics.

Also, does anyone know if a person could enter with an expired green card but valid reentry permit?

Thank you so much.

Comment

F2A Question!

does anyone knows if i can ask for a re entry permit if i'm petitioning my husband (F2A) ??

Comment

did your mom got it?

Originally posted by jreveur View Post
                      Hello Ram Pat,

I was wondering if your wife has successfully sent it the applications without you having to be in the U.S.?
                      My mom is in a similar situation as you, so I am looking to see if i can send in the applications for her so she can just come for the biometrics.

Also, does anyone know if a person could enter with an expired green card but valid reentry permit?

Thank you so much.
                      My mom has the same issue, what did you do?

Comment

Applying for a re entry permit the second time

Hi all!
                        I'm new to the community so I'm not sure if this is where I ask my q...
                        If not, please move to the right column.!!!
                        I am planning on applying for a re entry permit the second time and my first one is set to expire in January.
                        I will be out of school mid December so I assume that won't be enough time
                        Or can I still be in the US even if my permit expires??? If that's the case, then would it be alright to leave for the US in mid December?
                        Or should I go during June July? I can only go during summer and winter break..so I was thinking I would leave July ish..!
                        Or is that not allowed bc I still have time until my permit expires..?
                        Exactly how many months before my permit expires do I need to be in the US?
                        Also my mom's permit is going to expire in April- so I was thinking she would leave around December or January...
                        Would this be okay..??
                        Also when applying for the second re entry permit do I just fill out the same form I did the first time?
                        Do I need to write a letter saying it's my second one? Or will USCIS know?
                        Oh and I saw somewhere I need to send in my current permit with the application..is this true?
                        Or do I need to make a copy and write set to expire with the app?
                        Please help!!!! This is very confusing..

Comment

How did reapplying with set to expire go ?

Originally posted by Ram Pat View Post

Thanks,
                          Ram Pat

Hey ram im currently in the same position , I was wondering how it went with using the set to expire when apply . Mine is to expire in DEC and I am planning on applying in Nov .
                          Let me know how that procedure went, I would appreciate hearing from you

Comment

What do I need to send in with my reentry permit renewal application?

Hi all, I need to renew my Reentry permit a second time. What do I need to send in with my reentry permit renewal application?
                            The USCIS website says I need the following. Do I need all 3?
                            A copy of the front and back of your Permanent Resident Card (also known as a Green Card or a Form I-551);
                            A copy of the biographic pages of your passport and a copy of the visa page showing your initial admission as a lawful permanent resident;
                            A copy of the Form I-797, Notice of Action, approval notice of your application to replace your Permanent Resident Card (also known as a Green Card or a Form I-551); or
                            Temporary evidence of lawful permanent resident status.

Also, do I need to submit 2 passport style photos?
                            Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                            X