Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change of H4 to F1 visa

Hello Everybody:

Currently I am on H4 visa. I am applying to F1 Visa next month (September-2013) with an average university (this is new university, got recently accreditation). I will be getting F-1 Visa approval by November-2013. I am planning to go India in January-2014. I do have following questions:

0) If I apply for F-1 visa stamping, does this process automatically cancel my current H-4 visa?

1) If my F-1 visa stamping got rejected, can I come back to USA on my current H4 visa (it is valid till Sept-2015)?

2) If F-1 Visa get rejected, what are chances of H4 visa rejection?

3) If I came back to USA with H4 visa due to F-1 visa rejection, can I continue my education to university? How does it affect in future amenities such as OPT & CPT?

Awaiting reply.

Thanks,
    Kshitija.

Kshitija,

From my little experience:
    i) You can have multiple visas. So, approval of F1 does not mean cancellation of H4, you are simply Changing your Status from H4 to F1. Visa is what you get to enter the country and status is your legal status in the country.

ii) About F1 rejection, and entering on H4 subsequently - I do not know, i am sorry.

iii) No one knows for sure what the visa application outcome can be, but, in the case of F1 rejection, your H4 as it is a dependent visa, should not be viewed negatively.

iv) If you return to US, after F1 rejection, on H4 visa, then upon entering US as H4, you would need to switch status from H4 to F1 visa.

This are my opinions from a very minuscule understanding. Please do seek other opinions too. I am not a legal expert.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Originally posted by abhi1712 View Post
    Hello Everybody:

Currently I am on H4 visa. I am applying to F1 Visa next month (September-2013) with an average university (this is new university, got recently accreditation). I will be getting F-1 Visa approval by November-2013. I am planning to go India in January-2014. I do have following questions:

0) If I apply for F-1 visa stamping, does this process automatically cancel my current H-4 visa?

1) If my F-1 visa stamping got rejected, can I come back to USA on my current H4 visa (it is valid till Sept-2015)?

3) If I came back to USA with H4 visa due to F-1 visa rejection, can I continue my education to university? How does it affect in future amenities such as OPT & CPT?

Awaiting reply.

Thanks,
    Kshitija.
    These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

Doubt regarding I-539 Form for H4 to F1 change of status

Hello,
      I am currently on H4 visa status and in the process of change to F1.
      I started the process of filling I-539 form online for change of status. I have doubt regarding following question:

To your knowledge, are you, or any other person included on this benefit request the beneficiary of any other non immigrant or immigrant application or petition?

I Think the reply to the above question is 'Yes' since I am on H4 i.e. dependent on my husband who is on H1B, so automatically I become the beneficiary.
      Is that understanding correct?
      Also recently my husband's title in the company got changed so we both received a new updated I-797A.
      Hence I think the answer should be 'Yes' and in additional information I should give the receipt number on I-797A
      Thanks for the help...

Regards,
      ShalV

Comment

Hi Kshitija,

Could you please let us kno what you found? I also have same questions.

Thank you,
        Sashi.

+++
        Originally posted by abhi1712 View Post
        Hello Everybody:

Awaiting reply.

Thanks,
        Kshitija.

Comment

Hello,

I am enrolling for Masters in Fall 2014. Currently I am on H4 and thus I requested for change of status to F1 from the University. I have received my I20. I would like to know if I apply for a change of status with USCIS now will I be able to travel to India next month and return, on valid H4 or will I have to wait till I receive the approval of F1 and get it stamped at Consulate in India before I return? Kindly advise me on the same

Thanking you.

Comment

How to Apply for F1 Visa

Hello,

Currently I am on H4 visa. I enrolled in one of the university in jan 2015 in order to get F1 visa. I completed my first semester and also received I-20 change of status from college. but I am clueless about next procedure.Which Website to visit to apply for F1 visa? kindly help me as I want to file F1 visa ASAP. my second semester is about to start in next week and as per my knowledge F1 visa approval takes 30-90 days.

Thank You.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X