Tourist Charged with Petty Theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourist Charged with Petty Theft

A tourist i know has been charged with petty theft,a misdemeanor, they are posting bail after the arraignment, however they are worried about the consequences of the charges. I have a couple of questions , will this affect their status in the USA , will they be deported, will it affected their re-entry ? Right now they are in status and this is their first offense. This is a recent incident and the petty theft is shoplifting. This happened in Florida. They have a court hearing in a about a month or so . As i said this just happened recently, do they need to hire a criminal lawyer or a immigration lawyer or both . What should they do if they want their case to be deferred, dismissed or pardoned , again this is their first offense. what are the consequences of them pleading either guilty or not guilty,that is immigration wise? I don't want them to be deported or have obstacles if they re-enter the USA in the future ( they have a 10 year visit visa).

Tourist Charged with Petty Theft

Try to see if they can get into ARP first. Or if they can have the case dismissed.

Comment

Are you the same poster who gave us a similar message earlier today or yesterday?

The answer to your question depends on what immigration benefit the "tourist" is now seeking. They shouldn't use an immigration attorney for a criminal defense, unless it is an "immigration attorney" who does everything because he can't generate enough business with his immigration specialty.

If your friend is here on a visitor visa , she has to leave the U.S. soon or in a few months, else she will be compounding her shoplifting experience by becoming a visa overstay.

I don't think you have provided enough information to get a qualified answer. The "short version," however, is that your friend made a big mistake which will surely affect any future immigration procedure she pursues if a criminal records check is done after she is fingerprinted.

--Ray B

Originally posted by ihs818 View Post
      A tourist i know has been charged with petty theft,a misdemeanor, they are posting bail after the arraignment, however they are worried about the consequences of the charges. I have a couple of questions , will this affect their status in the USA , will they be deported, will it affected their re-entry ? Right now they are in status and this is their first offense. This is a recent incident and the petty theft is shoplifting. This happened in Florida. They have a court hearing in a about a month or so . As i said this just happened recently, do they need to hire a criminal lawyer or a immigration lawyer or both . What should they do if they want their case to be deferred, dismissed or pardoned , again this is their first offense. what are the consequences of them pleading either guilty or not guilty,that is immigration wise? I don't want them to be deported or have obstacles if they re-enter the USA in the future ( they have a 10 year visit visa).

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X