Visa Portability: H1 cap exempted (Academia) to H1 industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa Portability: H1 cap exempted (Academia) to H1 industry

Hi, I am currently working with a university and have cap exempted H1B. Now I want to move to industry. What I know is that a company can file H1B for me in begining of April 1 and I can get authorization to work from Oct 1. I am afraid that even if I find a company who would be willing to sponsor H1B for me, they will not wait for me to start working from Oct 1, 2014. Is there a way out to this problem? Can I start working for a company from April, 2014 if not before. I think I am not the only one with such a situation. If someone has gone through this phase/ know something about it, please help. Thanks.

Originally posted by AAgarwal View Post
    Hi, I am currently working with a university and have cap exempted H1B. Now I want to move to industry. What I know is that a company can file H1B for me in begining of April 1 and I can get authorization to work from Oct 1. I am afraid that even if I find a company who would be willing to sponsor H1B for me, they will not wait for me to start working from Oct 1, 2014. Is there a way out to this problem? Can I start working for a company from April, 2014 if not before. I think I am not the only one with such a situation. If someone has gone through this phase/ know something about it, please help. Thanks.
    Hello, Agarwal.

What students do is, they work on OPT/CPT, and come April they make their employer file for an H1B for them (which would come in effect in October) but they continue working on OPT/CPT.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Nattybone View Post
      Hello, Agarwal.

What students do is, they work on OPT/CPT, and come April they make their employer file for an H1B for them (which would come in effect in October) but they continue working on OPT/CPT.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
      Dear Nattybone,
      Thanks for your reply. If I were in OPT/CPT, I would be on a safe spot. However, my problem is that I have used my OPT and now I am on H1-B (cap exempt). To join industry, my employer will have to file my H1-B through cap. Are you or anyone else aware if I can start working with my new employer once they file a new H1-B petition for me or will I have to wait for Oct 1 to start working with the company.

Comment

Any Update on H1 cap exempted (Academia) to H1 industry - Nov 2015

Originally posted by AAgarwal View Post
        Dear Nattybone,
        Thanks for your reply. If I were in OPT/CPT, I would be on a safe spot. However, my problem is that I have used my OPT and now I am on H1-B (cap exempt). To join industry, my employer will have to file my H1-B through cap. Are you or anyone else aware if I can start working with my new employer once they file a new H1-B petition for me or will I have to wait for Oct 1 to start working with the company.
        Hello AAgarwal,

Did you receive any update from other users or how you have solved this situation. It would be great if you could let me know and others who might be having a right direction of approach on this.

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X