Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Process to change Visitor Visa B1/B2 status to F1 Student Visa to USA from India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Process to change Visitor Visa B1/B2 status to F1 Student Visa to USA from India

Hi all,

I got B1/B2 Visiting Visa for 10 years multiple entry to USA on 30Jul2013 from India.

Now i would like to get F1 Student Visa, to study in USA.

Please suggest me what is the process to Change the status B1/B2 to F1 being in INDIA.

Additional Info:
    1. Am working as a Software Engineer from past 2years.
    2. I Completed my B.E in 2010.

Thanks in advance
    dmdr

There is nothing called visa change or visa transfer. You have to separately apply for F-1 visa and independently qualify for it. For details on student visas: https://www.immihelp.com/usa-student-visa/
    This is my opinion and not legal advice. Please consult an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by snowy View Post
      There is nothing called visa change or visa transfer. You have to separately apply for F-1 visa and independently qualify for it. For details on student visas: https://www.immihelp.com/usa-student-visa/
      Thanks for responding to me

Here i have a doubt like
      1. Will my B1/B2 Visit visa will be cancelled if i apply for F1.
      2. What to say if US consulate asks me, when i go for F1 visa interview "You are going to study purpose, then why did you applied for visiting Visa".

Thanks in Advance
      dmdr

Comment

Originally posted by dmdr View Post

Here i have a doubt like
        2. What to say if US consulate asks me, when i go for F1 visa interview "You are going to study purpose, then why did you applied for visiting Visa".

Thanks in Advance
        dmdr
        Hello, DMDR.

The officer at the consulate does strike off the existing visa, as you will be issued a multiple entry F1. I am not sure, if it is a rule that the officer has to every time strike out the other visa. People do have more than 1 visas on their passport. E.g.: H4 and B1/B2.

Secondly, you could always say, about applying for B1/B2, that you had plans earlier but there is a change in your plan now. Nothing in life is cast in stone

Wishing you luck.

Cheers,
        These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

Originally posted by dmdr View Post

Here i have a doubt like

Thanks in Advance
          dmdr
          1. There is no such rule that existing visa will be cancelled when a new one is approved. Though if you get an immigrant visa (green card) at some point of time then all your non-immigrant visas (visitor, student, employment etc.) should be cancelled. Many people have multiple visas on their passport. Your B-1/B-2 is valid for 10 years but your F-1 would be valid for a shorter period of time. Hopefully your consular officer will not cancel your existing visa. But, while entering the US make sure you use the correct visa.

2. When you applied for visitor visa you must have given some reason to the consular office. Give the same reason again, do not change your answer. The previous consular officer might have made some notes on your application which will be available to your new interviewer. As long as you have not violated the conditions of your previous visa it should not create hurdles. I assume you haven't used your visitor visa yet so the question of violation is moot.
          This is my opinion and not legal advice. Please consult an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X