Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health insurance for 68+65 parents

Hello,

If all goes well, my parents (68 years and 65 years) will enter the US in March as new immigrants and reside in Pennsylvania. I have some health insurance questions.

1. They take low-dose aspirin and a statin as precautions due their age, even though they have not had any medical condition such as heart disease in the past. For insurance, is mere precautionary medication considered a pre-existing condition for, say, heart disease, or is this considered standard in that age group.

2. As of today, what insurance plans are recommended? I would like a high deductible, high limit plan. High premiums are also OK. Comprehensive coverage preferred. I want to mainly protect against cat*****phic bills and want renewable plans that do not add more pre-exisiting exclusions when they renew.

3. Some plans seem to have a high maximum limit (e.g., Patriot America 1 million dollar limit) until 70 years, but the limit drops considerably after 70 years. Does that mean that when the beneficiary crosses 70 years during the plan, the coverage automatically drops to the lower limit?

4. On the above question, suppose the plan is renewed, but in the meantime the beneficiary crosses 70 years, then will the lower limit will be applied, even though it is renewal?

5. Since there is an age gap between my parents, should apply for separate policies for them, so that the younger one is protected by the high limit plan, even though the older one gets converted to the lower limit?

6. Is it possible to get a formal quote for these plans even before they have a social security number, since I have heard that sometimes the US consulate asks for evidence of insurance during consular processing?

Valley,

"Evidence of insurance" during consular processing is not an expected requirement for a visa. You can certainly get a "good faith" quote in advance, but any discussion during the interview of health insurance can be countered with the response that a policy is not available until immigrants are in the U.S.

--Ray B

Originally posted by valley123 View Post
    Hello,

If all goes well, my parents (68 years and 65 years) will enter the US in March as new immigrants and reside in Pennsylvania. I have some health insurance questions.

1. They take low-dose aspirin and a statin as precautions due their age, even though they have not had any medical condition such as heart disease in the past. For insurance, is mere precautionary medication considered a pre-existing condition for, say, heart disease, or is this considered standard in that age group.

2. As of today, what insurance plans are recommended? I would like a high deductible, high limit plan. High premiums are also OK. Comprehensive coverage preferred. I want to mainly protect against cat*****phic bills and want renewable plans that do not add more pre-exisiting exclusions when they renew.

3. Some plans seem to have a high maximum limit (e.g., Patriot America 1 million dollar limit) until 70 years, but the limit drops considerably after 70 years. Does that mean that when the beneficiary crosses 70 years during the plan, the coverage automatically drops to the lower limit?

4. On the above question, suppose the plan is renewed, but in the meantime the beneficiary crosses 70 years, then will the lower limit will be applied, even though it is renewal?

5. Since there is an age gap between my parents, should apply for separate policies for them, so that the younger one is protected by the high limit plan, even though the older one gets converted to the lower limit?

6. Is it possible to get a formal quote for these plans even before they have a social security number, since I have heard that sometimes the US consulate asks for evidence of insurance during consular processing?

Comment

A lot of things may change between now and March 2014. Therefore, I suggest that you look again around that time.

As far as the quotes, you can get them immediately at https://www.insubuy.com/new-immigrant-insurance/
      Thanks & Regards
      Insubuy
      Toll Free: (866) INSUBUY
      Local: (972) 985-4400
      Fax: (972) 767-4470

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X