Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i study on L1 visa?

Hi,

I am here on L1-B visa , which is valid until Feb 2016. I am interested in doing my MS in computer science in US.I have following questions:

1.I want to know that can i study on L1 visa for part time or full time.
    2.If i choose to study part time my MS degree would still come under Master Quota for H1 stamping?
    3.While doing my MS if my employer ask me to come back can i get my visa status chagned to F1 without going to india?
    4.Can i get F1 visa along with L1 visa?

Any response on above questions would be highly appreciated.

Regards

If you want to be on L1 visa status, you will work there full time and therefore you will only be able to study part time. No student visa is required.

If you want to study full time, most likely, you will not be working at L1 sponsor employer and therefore, you will have to convert to 'student status' (F1 status), which you can do within the US itself. But if you go out of US, you will need F1 visa to come back.

As per description above, you don't need both F1 and L1 visas.

If you get master's from the US, you will get into that quota for H1 stamping, irrespective of whether you did that part time or full time.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Thanks for the information.

I understood that i dont need F1 and l1 both for studying but the reason behind asking this is what if during my studies my employer asks me to come back?
      So is there a way that i obtain F1 visa along with L1 visa so that even if my employer terminate my stay in US, i can stay back and completed my studies?

Comment

While in L1 status you must be working full-time. But you can also study full or part time on the sides.

If your job is terminated or you are asked to leave the US by your employer, you can apply for change of status to F1. The application must be received by USCIS before your last day of work. Once it gets approved you will need to stop working. Alternatively, you can leave the US and return with F1 Visa to resume your studies.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Can i study on L1 visa?

If I start part time study on L1 VISA and have to make application for change of status from L1 to F1 due to termination of job. What will happen to my wife's L2 visa? Can she still stay in USA as my dependent?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X