Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long will it take to get your plastic green card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long will it take to get your plastic green card?

I have just been approved an immigrant visa after being petitioned by my husband. I plan to travel to Las Vegas where my husband is based by March of 2014. My question is this, how long will it take to obtain the plastic green card? Also, if I intend to go to Guam after a month, do I need to wait for the plastic green card so that I wouldn't be questioned by the immigration officer or is the temporary stamp as good as the plastic green card?

Lastly, how long will take to obtain an SS number?

Thank you so much for your help.

The Green Card usually shows up about 4-5 weeks after an immigrant's arrival in the U.S. (if the new $165 online Green Card fee is paid soon after visa is issued).

Your I-551 stamp in your passport is proof for a year, of your Permanent Resident status. Travelling to Guam shouldn't present any immigration problems, though returning from Guam, same as returning from Puerto Rico, may subject you to cursory checks of your ID, since both areas are "gateways" for foreign nationals entering the U.S.

--Ray B

Originally posted by G-girl View Post
    I have just been approved an immigrant visa after being petitioned by my husband. I plan to travel to Las Vegas where my husband is based by March of 2014. My question is this, how long will it take to obtain the plastic green card? Also, if I intend to go to Guam after a month, do I need to wait for the plastic green card so that I wouldn't be questioned by the immigration officer or is the temporary stamp as good as the plastic green card?

Comment

Process of obtaining plastic green card

Thanks for your response rayb. Just another question, i have already paid the immigration fee through USCIS. What is the process to obtain the plastic green card? Do i have to fill out some forms or go to the USCIS office? Thanks in advance.

Comment

G-Girl,

The Green Card is mailed to the last address you provided on your DS-260.

--Ray B

Thanks for your response rayb. Just another question, i have already paid the immigration fee through USCIS. What is the process to obtain the plastic green card? Do i have to fill out some forms or go to the USCIS office? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Plastic Card/Green Card

Hi,

My wife did the first landing at Atlanta Airport on Sept 12, 2013 as an immigrant, she was told that the plastic Green Card (LPR) will be posted in few weeks yet today is January 2, 2014 and no card has been received...I know her I-551 that is stamped on her passport serves as a temporary green card for one year but we are worry why her plastic card has not been received yet? Any advice please...what to do? Thanks.

Comment

Osweliti,

Did you pay the $165 Green Card fee?

If so, you should schedule an INFOPASS live appointment and get a live USCIS staff person to do some tracking. To schedule an appointment, go here:

--Ray B

Originally posted by osweiti50 View Post
            Hi,

My wife did the first landing at Atlanta Airport on Sept 12, 2013 as an immigrant, she was told that the plastic Green Card (LPR) will be posted in few weeks yet today is January 2, 2014 and no card has been received...I know her I-551 that is stamped on her passport serves as a temporary green card for one year but we are worry why her plastic card has not been received yet? Any advice please...what to do? Thanks.

Comment

USCIS Time Progress!!

Mailed All application Materials : Jan 21 (overnight) : Arrived Jan 22nd
              Bio-metrix Appointment : Feb 21
              Letter to Appear for Interview Received: March 21
              EAD Card mailed : March 25
              EAD Arrived: April 2
              Interview Appointment Date : April 21
              Approved; Welcome Letter Shipped: April 23
              Green Card shipped: April 29
              Green Card received: May 1

Comment

How long does it take to get the Green Card?

Hi

I arrived in USA on March 30th 2016 on CR-1 Visa and paid Immigration on 23rd March 2016. I was informed by an Immigration Officer @ Airport that I will get my Green Card within 60 days from my time of arrival in USA. Now when I called USCIS they are telling me it is 120 days from Time of Arrival. I am confused.
                I need my Green Card at earliest because all these Employers are asking for it and I need get a job asap. Please help.

Thanks.

Comment

It takes 30-120 days to receive the Green Card after paying the fee.

The I-551 stamp in your passport, however, can be verified by employers as status enabled to work.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Bhags09 View Post
                  Hi

I arrived in USA on March 30th 2016 on CR-1 Visa and paid Immigration on 23rd March 2016. I was informed by an Immigration Officer @ Airport that I will get my Green Card within 60 days from my time of arrival in USA. Now when I called USCIS they are telling me it is 120 days from Time of Arrival. I am confused.
                  I need my Green Card at earliest because all these Employers are asking for it and I need get a job asap. Please help.

Thanks.

Comment

green card delay

I paid for the delivery of my green card on April 27 2016 before coming to the US on may 20 .up till date,my green card had not been delivered. I really need it to apply for medicaid and start my prenatal.

Comment

how long will i have to wait?

it is 123 days since i came to the U.S and when i call the USCIS they ask me to wait for an other 30 days. But i just can't , my situation is getting particulary complicated, it won't be long before i become homeless. i have been given a confirmation number, i don't even know what i should do with it. any help?
                      thanks

Comment

Plastic green card - when to pay $165?

Hi. I am a wife of American citizen. I have received visa after my consular interview overseas. It will expire on the 18th November. I plan to go to US some time in October but then I need to come back to my home country for some urgent stuff, i.e. sell the house, etc. My question is: when I should pay $165? Now or close to my departure to US? I will be able to stay in US for a month and then return. Is it true that the sooner I pay, the sooner I get the plastic card? For example, if I pay in August but travel to US in October, will the card be issued by then? Or the counting time for the card issuance will start from I-551 stamped at the US port of entry? really appreciate any advice. Thanks, Gulya

Comment

Originally posted by Gulya View Post
                          Or the counting time for the card issuance will start from I-551 stamped at the US port of entry?
                          Yes, assuming the 165 fee is paid by then. Best to pay shortly before US entry. Absolutely nothing will commence until after you enter the US.

Comment

Hi,

My parents plan to be in us sometime November 1st. They got visa and docs ready to come. Questions are all about timing, they can only stay max 1 month since they have unfinished business at this time.

Our questions are:

- how much time they will need at customs where they get temporary green card and do the fingerprinting (asking cause they land in JFK and after go to San Diego). Need to know how much time we should reserve for the connecting flights.

- how long to do the bio-metrics when they are in san diego - assuming they need to do that
                            - how long to do social security
                            - how long for driver license
                            - am I missing anything else crucial for completing the migration?

All this assumes they can use temporary green card to fly back.

Thank you very much

Comment

Timing For Parents that need to go back in 1 month

Hi,

so my parents are ready to come and go through the process(they got visa, docs and paid the $165fee).

We got timing questions since they got unfinished business.

- first how much time they need at customs since they will have a connecting flight, I assume that they will get the temporary green card and will be fingerprinted at customs.

- how long to do the bio-metrics, social security card & driver license once they are at our home here with us.

All this assuming that they can travel back with the temporary green card.
                              Also once the plastic comes is the temporary green card invalid? asking because if they live early and dont get the green card in time I could just mail to them.

Please help as we are preparing for the travel soon.

Thank you very much.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X