F1 visa extension/renewal experience through dropbox at mumbai consulate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 visa extension/renewal experience through dropbox at mumbai consulate

I am a PhD student in computer engineering since Fall 2009. My F1 visa was going to expire in June 2014 and my I20 was till Dec 2015.
    I was going to india for 5 weeks in Dec 2013 - Jan 2014 so I thought it is a good time to extend/renew my F1 visa even though I could have returned on my existing visa.

I qualified for dropbox since I was renewing visa in same category and same institution.
    I went to submit documents through dropbox in Mumbai on 19 dec 2013. When you select the dropbox option online they ask you to carry all the necessary documents to support your case and I did but the guy at the dropbox counter only accepted original passport, original latest I20, 1 photo, 1 copy of DS160 receipt and 1 copy of dropbox confirmation letter. When I requested him to accept all the documents he said he has been instructed to accept only these documents.

There is no need to take any appointment to submit documents through dropbox and it only took me 15 minutes.

There are two different links to track status of visa and passport. Following are the status messages I saw on both websites.

Visa tracking (https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?)
    19 dec: invalid
    20 dec: ready
    23 dec: Administrative Processing (This does not mean 221g. Even approved visas have to go through administrative processing)

passport tracking (http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-passporttrack.asp)
    19 dec: no status
    20 dec: passport is still with post
    24 dec: Passport has been received from the consular section, and is currently being processed for delivery
    26 dec: Your passport is ready for pickup

The passport is no longer couriered to the home address. I had selected the Pune centre for passport pick up as it is closer to my home town.

I collected my passport on 27 dec. My current visa had a stamp "Cancelled Without Prejudice" and there was no new visa.
    Instead there was white 221g letter. The 221g letter has a checklist and you are supposed to do whatever has been checked.
    In my case NOTHING was checked! Even the person at the pune passport collection counter had not seen such a case before. The guy was very helpful. He made a lot of calls and after 2 hrs of waiting I was informed that I need to go to mumbai consulate for visa interview.

For 221g cases you are not required to make a new online appointment for visa interview.
    We can go directly to the consulate between 10:30 - 11 am on any working day.

I went for the interview on 30 Dec.

The officer asked me following questions
    1> where are you doing your PhD?
    2> what is your area of research?
    3> Few follow up questions on my research
    4> What are your plans after graduation?
    5> Are you funded?

Finally he said "Your Visa is Approved"

Again I tracked status of visa and passport online

Visa tracking
    30 dec: Administrative Processing
    31 dec: Issued

Passport Tracking
    30 dec: Passport has been picked up (old message still not updated)
    31 dec: Passport has been received from the consular section, and is currently being processed for delivery
    2 Jan: Your passport is ready for pickup

Picked up my passport on 3 Jan. It had a new 5 year visa stamped on it!

visa renewal

Originally posted by sp17 View Post
    I am a PhD student in computer engineering since Fall 2009. My F1 visa was going to expire in June 2014 and my I20 was till Dec 2015.
    I was going to india for 5 weeks in Dec 2013 - Jan 2014 so I thought it is a good time to extend/renew my F1 visa even though I could have returned on my existing visa.

I qualified for dropbox since I was renewing visa in same category and same institution.
    I went to submit documents through dropbox in Mumbai on 19 dec 2013. When you select the dropbox option online they ask you to carry all the necessary documents to support your case and I did but the guy at the dropbox counter only accepted original passport, original latest I20, 1 photo, 1 copy of DS160 receipt and 1 copy of dropbox confirmation letter. When I requested him to accept all the documents he said he has been instructed to accept only these documents.

There is no need to take any appointment to submit documents through dropbox and it only took me 15 minutes.

There are two different links to track status of visa and passport. Following are the status messages I saw on both websites.

23 dec: Administrative Processing (This does not mean 221g. Even approved visas have to go through administrative processing)

24 dec: Passport has been received from the consular section, and is currently being processed for delivery

The passport is no longer couriered to the home address. I had selected the Pune centre for passport pick up as it is closer to my home town.

I collected my passport on 27 dec. My current visa had a stamp "Cancelled Without Prejudice" and there was no new visa.
    Instead there was white 221g letter. The 221g letter has a checklist and you are supposed to do whatever has been checked.
    In my case NOTHING was checked! Even the person at the pune passport collection counter had not seen such a case before. The guy was very helpful. He made a lot of calls and after 2 hrs of waiting I was informed that I need to go to mumbai consulate for visa interview.

For 221g cases you are not required to make a new online appointment for visa interview.

5> Are you funded?

Visa tracking

Passport Tracking
    31 dec: Passport has been received from the consular section, and is currently being processed for delivery

Hi,
    I also want to renew my visa this year, although my visa is still valid for one year. I was wondering if you know that if I apply for my visa renewal and incase they did not renew my visa, could they also cancel my current visa, although it is valid.

Comment

@Himalik : Yes that is possible. In my case also my current visa was valid for 6 more months but when I applied for extension they cancelled my current visa and called me for interview. If they would have denied my visa in the interview I would not have been able to return to US. I dont want to scare you, I am just saying that it is possible although I feel chances of that happening are less.

Comment

F-1 Visa Renewal

5> Are you funded?

Visa tracking

Passport Tracking

@sp17 :

Hi,

I am looking to Renew my F-1 Visa and need some Information, did you paid your Visa Interview Fee's (in banks) Before submitting all Doc's like (I-20, Passport, DS-160 & etc) to Drop Box Office ( Interview Waiver Program) as u thought u were eligible for Visa Waiver Program ? More over did you gave your Finger Prints at OFC ?
        Did you Scheduled an appointment for Drop Box Office or is it a walk-in ?

Thanks

Comment

@anonymousindia: Yes you have to pay the fees ($160) first. Only after the fees are paid the dropbox confirmation letter will be generated. It can be paid at bank counter in India or you can transfer it online from an Indian Bank account to the Bank of America account specified. It has to be transferred from indian account and cannot be transferred from US account.

Dropbox is walk in. No appointment is required. Even the fingerprinting is not required. You just have to go and submit the documents.

Comment

F1 visa extension/renewal experience through dropbox at mumbai consulate

@anonymousindia: Yes you have to pay the fees ($160) first. Only after the fees are paid the dropbox confirmation letter will be generated. It can be paid at bank counter in India or you can transfer it online from an Indian Bank account to the Bank of America account specified. It has to be transferred from indian account and cannot be transferred from US account.

Dropbox is walk in. No appointment is required. Even the fingerprinting is not required. You just have to go and submit the documents.
            @ sp17 :

For earlier visa I have different Sevis number and currently for Renewal(F-1) now I have different Sevis number, so I need to pay SEVIS Fee also ? I plan to drop my documents in Drop Box office on Monday, so how many days before I need to pay my Sevis($200) amount ? As 19/01/14 will be sunday. Is it enough time to get my sevis activated, But here I am attending same University with same classification.

More over what are the documents I need to carry for Drop Box office like Bank Balance certificates, Affidavit of support, Loan Amount, Work Experience certificates & etc,
            How ever I carry DS-160, Passport, photos, Drop Box Confirmation letter.

If I need to submit any other documents please let me know ? I will plan to drop my documents on Monday

plz reply

Thanks

Comment

Drop Box confirmation Letter

5> Are you funded?

Visa tracking

Passport Tracking

Hi Sp17,

I am applying for my renewal and am eligible for Dropbox, your post has helped me understand that it is a walk-in process
              But one thing I am not seeing in my UStraveldocs profile is the dropbox confirmation shown my immihelp on this link https://www.immihelp.com/visa-interv...visa-in-india/ but instead it is a simple dropbox confirmation letter .
              Let me know if I am missing something.
              Thank you

Comment

5> Are you funded?

Visa tracking

Passport Tracking

Just curious what you answered for plans after graduation?

Comment

F1 renewal Yellow slip 221g

Hi all,
                  I was given a yellow slip and then clearance for my F1 visa when I applied for the first time, I am about to renew my visa for F1 renewal, does that mean
                  a) I have to appear for the interview
                  b) my visa will go on hold (yellow slip) by default again?
                  Thanks

Comment

5> Are you funded?

Visa tracking

Passport Tracking

Hello SP,
                    My wife H4 visa in a similar situation. Opted for Dropbox ,submitted all documents with passport. Consulate received it , visa status went to admin process. Passport status showed ready for pickup. When collected the passport, there was no visa stamped. A blue 221g slip marked in 1st box like " appear to consulate,DONT SCHEDULE INTERVIEW". In the documents required boxes nothing marked except in 'OTHER BOX' hand written as " bring copy of spouse valid visa or latest approved work permit". Don't know the reason. Anyway we are planning to appear consulate with all documents.
                    I have a question. Since you had opted for Dropbox, you needed to submitted photos along with docs. So when the visa officer told your visa approved, did he collect himself the passport+photos+payment reciept+confirmation letter+ other docs from you or you dropped those in VFS office there in consulate? (I don't know exactly its VFS office or some other center).

Thanks
                    Raj

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X